Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 23, 2014, 12:31:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prevost H5-60 Specifications and Pictures  (Read 12428 times)
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 09:08:07 AM »

Any of the 17 that were bought new by Holland America should be the best ones.  They were laid up in the winter and not used so were never operated in salt and have lower miles than the eastern Canadian cars ie. Orleans Express.  I have been around them in Alaska and followed them down the road to observe their handling.  Holland America and David Beagle devised a lot of their own fixes including repair/replacement of the fifth wheels. At one time David was considering repowering them with M11's.  Holland America Gray Lines was no stranger to excellent maintenance or repowers.  They repowered some of their MCI 102's with S50's.  I have always felt the H5-60 was an awsome machine and very well engineered and would love to have one in my collection.  This platform was the original of the H series coach that has been improved on so much over the years and in my modest opinion the H3-45 is the best bus on the market.  By the way, I have an original H5-60 sales brochure that has exploded views of the entire bus.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 09:19:52 AM »

I think I have a brochure on that one too. It's fun to look at brochures that I haven't touched for a decade or 2 so maybe I'll try to dig that one out.
Anyway. NEOPLAN USA had a transit "artic" that had the engine in the trailer section and I think NEW FYLER uses that design too. I would imagine that PREVOST thought of that idea since it would have been much easier to make repairs and more standardization. But I guess they thought the end result was the best way.
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 09:50:18 AM »

Eagle also built 5 Super Golden Eagle artics for Continental Trailways.  One of them wound up being refurbished and put into service by AC Transit in the Bay Area after Trailways got rid of them and was operated in a test program.  Prior to that Kassborer built two earlier models that were operated by Continental, primarily on the Air Force Academy runs in Colorado.  Prior to that, Henry Kaiser built one artic in the late 40's that saw passenger service.

Wilson Bus Company in MA owns all the remaining Eagle artics and pieces except for one. They have managed to completely restore one, a beautiful job.  As far as I know the only other (I should say what's left of it) is still sitting at the old Green Tortoise yard in Lowell, OR.  I photographed it about 3 years ago.  After Continental service, some of them were converted into entertainers.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 10:18:54 AM »

Meh...Just remove the hinge, close up the back of the front bus and the front of the back bus and weld a hitch onto it. Now you have an unbelievably matching trailer for your awesome quad axle bus.

Someone has apparently converted one:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:20:44 AM by Scott Bennett » Logged

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »

What is the guys name here that runs one for the veterans he doesn't seem to have a problem running state to state ? what is the legal length on a RV the truck converters are building a lot longer that 45 ft, 53ft is common with those now 

Life is short drink the good wine first
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »

What is the guys name here that runs one for the veterans he doesn't seem to have a problem running state to state ? what is the legal length on a RV the truck converters are building a lot longer that 45 ft, 53ft is common with those now 

Clifford I don't recall his name at the moment, but I know who your talking about.
He's from the Houston area he an I have talked quite a bit in the past when he was looking for a coach to build.

But just because he hasn't been pulled over or hassled yet doesn't mean it's legal.
Grayline in Nashville used to run several of those up through KY to Harrah's in Metropolis, IL on a daily basis and never had a problem.
But then one day a KY DOT officer found out they were considered a "class A" bus and not legal in KY as such and they no longer run them on that run anymore. (I have no clue if they still own them or not, as I haven't seen them anywhere in a while)
Grin  BK  Grin
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: