Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 02:54:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with blower.  (Read 758 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2008, 12:02:38 AM »

I have a non-working toggle on the dash that is marked heater.  Since there was no power to it, I decided to give it some and see what happened.  I turns out it is for the bus blower.  The bus heat is disconnected. The coils are still there, but the hot water plumbing is disconnected in the engine compartment.  I do not know if they were removed due to coolant leaks or what.  The blower feeds air from under the floor.  It may be ducted, but I am guessing that it just uses a space beneath the floor as a plenum.  It seems to me that I could maybe revitalize the original system for over-the-road use.  It is much too noisy and energy hungry for much else.  But I lean toward the idea of removing the blower, if I can get to it without destroying the cabinets in front of it, and hopefully find a way to get the coils out too.  I would have a nice weight/space bonus, and I could improve upon the existing RV systems if I need more heat.  What do y'all say?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 05:01:35 AM »

I removed the over the road heater (no A/C since it was a Portland Or bus) but kept the heating heat exchanger (large like 5ft by 2ft and 6 inches thick).  I used the space to mount my septic tanks (85gal gray, 45 gal black and 2 8D deep cycle Lifeline AGM).  After cleaning and having it pressure tested I mounted it length wise on the floor inside and built the hall cabinets on top.  It is powered with two 14" 12v radiator fans with a hand operated ball valve to turn off in warm weather.  It works really well and puts out a lot of heat fast.  It does take a lot of space, but I still have not filled up my bus with stuff, so I'm not worried.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 05:21:49 AM »

I plan to remove mine and I bought a variable speed 24volt 80K BTU military unit that is much smaller but should put out adequate heat since I insulated the bus.

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: