Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 03:08:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with blower.  (Read 747 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2008, 12:02:38 AM »

I have a non-working toggle on the dash that is marked heater.  Since there was no power to it, I decided to give it some and see what happened.  I turns out it is for the bus blower.  The bus heat is disconnected. The coils are still there, but the hot water plumbing is disconnected in the engine compartment.  I do not know if they were removed due to coolant leaks or what.  The blower feeds air from under the floor.  It may be ducted, but I am guessing that it just uses a space beneath the floor as a plenum.  It seems to me that I could maybe revitalize the original system for over-the-road use.  It is much too noisy and energy hungry for much else.  But I lean toward the idea of removing the blower, if I can get to it without destroying the cabinets in front of it, and hopefully find a way to get the coils out too.  I would have a nice weight/space bonus, and I could improve upon the existing RV systems if I need more heat.  What do y'all say?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 05:01:35 AM »

I removed the over the road heater (no A/C since it was a Portland Or bus) but kept the heating heat exchanger (large like 5ft by 2ft and 6 inches thick).  I used the space to mount my septic tanks (85gal gray, 45 gal black and 2 8D deep cycle Lifeline AGM).  After cleaning and having it pressure tested I mounted it length wise on the floor inside and built the hall cabinets on top.  It is powered with two 14" 12v radiator fans with a hand operated ball valve to turn off in warm weather.  It works really well and puts out a lot of heat fast.  It does take a lot of space, but I still have not filled up my bus with stuff, so I'm not worried.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 05:21:49 AM »

I plan to remove mine and I bought a variable speed 24volt 80K BTU military unit that is much smaller but should put out adequate heat since I insulated the bus.

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: