Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 10:44:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We are OTR NW Arkansas and need a good shop  (Read 5007 times)
mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2008, 12:26:56 PM »

ok- we are on our way to springdale...will keep in touch....  thanks

I'm 125 miles from springdale Ar.  in MO If you need help I'll run down

mike
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 01:02:57 PM »

John, I am not sure that you have been given good instructions on how to test the governor/compressor.  I poked around the internet and can't find any good source. 

I looked at the D2 Service Data Sheet (http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay.asp?documentID=2382) and it does not have a good trouble shooting section.  However, it seems to me that if you disconnect the unloader line temporarily, that will cause the compressor to go into compress mode. Be very careful as the compressor will continue to build pressure in an uncontrolled mode. 

Please understand that I am not an expert and I hope someone will jump in here to confirm or deny that this will work.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Dallas

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2008, 01:37:28 PM »

Jim is correct, I didn't give very clear directions. If the line is removed from the unloader to the governor, and the governor end is plugged while the unloader end is left open at the compressor, you should build up air pressure to around 150# at which times the safety valves on the air tanks will release.

Sorry about the confusion. I knew what I meant, even if no one else did.  Grin

Dallas

PS: If the compressor builds up any pressure at all, it is working, I would go ahead and replace the governor anyway as was mentioned before. If the compressor is going into self destruct mode, you really need to quit driving it before you cause damage to the engine from parts falling here and there!

DF
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2008, 04:14:17 PM »

Well, we are parked again. We are sitting in a weigh station at Colbert OK just north of the TX border. The electric compressor has quit pumping air now! Mike - i sure do appreciate your offer. Too bad i was headed in the other direction. Dallas - i really doubt the compressor is falling apart, but this is just gut feelings. It is making no noise at all and i sure hope it is not dropping bits into the pan. I looked in my manual and it does not even show the compressor so that was no help. I got on line to look at the engine manual and it does not show it either. I don't know what is the unloader line. If i am looking at the right part to be the governor, it is on the right end of the compressor. Held on by two bolts. It only has one air line to it. When i took it off this morning, there is a third hole into the compressor right between the two bolts. I thought that was where to chk for air being built up, but there was none.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
luvrbus

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2008, 04:37:27 PM »

John, never fear your in sonnie gray area now I will call him for you, theres a large Rv dealer not far from you but they are closed on sunday   can you email me your cell number so I can get you some help
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 04:45:26 PM by luvrbus » Logged
Dallas

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2008, 04:45:44 PM »

John,

The air compressor and governor section are from pages 96 to 108 in your 4104 manual.

Remove that line you spoke of and start up the engine. see if you start building air pressure. If not, plug the line and the hole in the governor where it went.

Attached is a photo of the governor.
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2008, 04:56:21 PM »

John, here's 2 in Dallas for you, just south of you.
Your governor will only have 2 air lines, and 2 long bolts securing it to the air compressor.
The 3rd hole you mentioned, between the 2 mounting bolts of the governor, is where the governor "talks" to the air compressor - telling air comp to "unload", or stop pumping.
If you remove the air intake flange on the air comp, look inside rectangular hole, on bottom. The unloaders are located in there and sometimes don't seat properly every time - piece of carbon, etc.
Make sure they are seated in down position. They can be removed with a long nose pair of pliers if you need to. Work carefully because they have a small spring in there too. Best of luck, you'll be fine. Let us know if you need more phone numbers.

Stewart & Stevenson
214-631-5370 (24hrs)
800-460-7711

MCI
214-366-5900
800-248-4942
800-241-2947 - after hours
John Z

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »

luvrbus has put us in touch with a local busnut who lives 15 - 20 miles from where we are stopped. He is coming out in the morning with an elec compressor, and then we are driving to his shop and will attempt repairs there. I have to give high marks to luvrbus and his friend - they certainly are busnuts to say the least. Dallas, that picture is exactly what is on my compressor. I removed it and started the engine but it did not pump air. Sammy - thanks for the phone numbers and tips,, but it is dark and windy (man is it windy!!!) so i am staying inside. We appreciate everyones help more than we can say!

www.silverbrook-mn.com

John Z

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2008, 08:09:42 PM »

OK, it turns out it was the drive gear on the compressor, which is some kind of composite material, had stripped. It just happened that this guy had an engine tore down so had a spare compressor. They took the gear off the spare one and put it on mine and we were back in BUSiness in no time. These were not the ideal conditions i would have picked to meet a couple busnuts, but it really did work out just fine. So hats off to Clifford, Sonnie and Mike, we owe you many thanks!

Now,can someone give me the name of a place to get some good TX barbque? We are about 45 min south of DFW and heading to the McAllen area.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

www.silverbrook-mn.com

jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2008, 08:25:54 PM »

Now JohnZ...don't you know that ALL TX BBQ is GREAT! Grin
Glad it worked out for you.  I sat back and read the post thinking...man...if I ever get in trouble...help aint far away!
You folks are awesome!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Dreamscape

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2008, 03:12:16 AM »

John,

Glad Sonnie was able to help, he is always helpful, along with Clifford and Mike. Even though you have met several bus nuts from your problem, that is a great way to meet them. That's how I met Clifford and his wife Sonja when I broke down in Palm Springs on my way to Abilene TX. That's one of the many benefits from having great bus nut friends.

If ever in Abilene I know of several great steak places.

I got your message and will call you this morning.

Paul
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2008, 07:42:58 AM »

Following this post goes to show that true bus nuts don't recognize name brands my point Eagle owners doing everything possible to get a GM owner back on the road   good job fellows
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 10:17:19 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2008, 12:12:19 PM »

Well John I am sorry I was stuck in Gatlinburg, Tn all weekend w/no internet! I am glad you got'r goin'! If I'd been where I could'a seen this early enough I could have hooked you up witha good mechanic friend just N. of Fort Smith. Glad to see that others were here looking out for you too! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
John Z

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2008, 06:46:36 PM »

BK,, if it had not been so darn cold and windy when we got to southern Iowa, we may have ended up on your doorstep! We had considered coming down that way, cuz i want to chk out that area. But we were so darned cold we just wanted to head straight south and get warmed up! Your friend in Ft Smith would have worked out nice, but as it all turned out, it was ok. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

www.silverbrook-mn.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: