Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 06:05:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the chances!!!! 60 Foot Buses  (Read 1496 times)
coachconverter

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2008, 12:50:52 PM »

Now I ask you, what are the chances of 2 of the ultra-rare 60 foot articulated buses being on eBay at the same time???  Now consider that there are now 5 on eBay, all from seperate owners!!!

I just had to note what an unusual situation that is.  I don't think any of them are bringing any real money.  I'd still like to get a H5-60, if very cheap.  I just don't see any market, at all, for the Prevost on eBay now, since it's seats are removed.  Can't imagine trying to put that in an RV park, or doing much more than highway driving.

Todd
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »

True but think of the possibilities Roll Eyes

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 01:03:51 PM »

I know of one that is in service in CA ( LA Area) and one that is sitting dormant that was used as a marketing platform for a clothing company.

as for the transits... they are always out there...and come in spurts on ebay.

alot of the ones on ebay are from people who bought them at auction with grand ideas of making them into conversions.....only to have hopes dashed my DMV or the super expensive and already worn out artic joint
coachconverter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »

I agree, I had a Prevost salesman in the shop a few months back and told him I had a customer wanting a H5 conversion.  He all but screamed at me, saying that anyone wanting to use a H5 for conversion was slitting their own wrists.  He said that Prevost has stopped making any specific H5 parts and never did have any suprlus of parts to speak of.  He said that the articulation tables were built on contract for the buses manufactured and no extras, and they were $65k+ when produced.

I still have a wild hair about taking the trailer off and adding 4-6 feet on the back of the front section to make a 40ish foot long 4 axle vehicle, but luckily they guy on eBay has been unresponsive. 

Ok, back to work...
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 12:12:16 PM »

The only practical use I can see for one of these beasts is as a mobile showroom following a particular circuit (horse shows, car shows etc.)

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 03:33:31 PM »

Quote from: coachconverter
Now I ask you, what are the chances of 2 of the ultra-rare 60 foot articulated buses being on eBay at the same time???  Now consider that there are now 5 on eBay, all from seperate owners!!!
Todd

Todd from my experiences, it is my guess and only a guess that when someone has something with little or no demand to sell they watch places like ebay. Then when they see someone else selling something simular, they russ and list (or re-list) their item in hopes of catching the attention of anyone looking at the other one! I have seen this same thing with the H5-60 several times and as a Setra fan it seems to never fail that when someone lists a Setra 2 or 3 others pop up too. Same with wrecks, burn outs, flood damaged, or other wise "salvaged projects." They are just trying to market their product at a time when they think someone elses will help draw attention to theirs. Sorta like advertising an a industry specific publication.
FWIW JMHO Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 01:52:48 PM »

I understand the $65K is what the glorified trailer hitch cost, but I still can't quite figure out why it was soossss $expensive$?  Could a new owner just modify the connection to a standard truck tractor fifth wheel or is there something in the articulation or flexible side walls that I am missing?

Guess the need is to have the ability of paying passengers safely moving from the front to the back and stuff while "healed over" or bent going around a corner.  Would such a need really exist for a Bus Conversion?  How about a kind of bellows system used by railroad passenger cars?  Smiley Smiley Smiley
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 01:56:57 PM »

it is a very special design and is a permanant  connection  so to speak
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 02:07:40 PM »

I expect that the hinge joint may also incorporate some steer control for the "trailer" axle.

The cost would have included the recovery of the vendor's engineering and associated costs, not just the fabrication. A short run of specialized product like that is basically a custom job.

Besides initial purchase price, the cost per mile of operation to maintain an articulated bus does not pay for what you can stuff extra into them.

That is why you only see them operating where there is government subsidy in purchase and operation.

Private for-profit operators have stayed away from them on purpose.

That being said, in the hands of a busnut who is willing to stick to the pull through campgrounds, one of these 60 foot Prevost with a little life left in the hinge, would be a lovely conversation piece, and afford some serious room.

Always checking my lottery numbers...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 04:47:49 PM »

I suspect even government transit operations wouldn't use articulated buses if the cost per mile was more than a 40 footer.  With the higher fuel prices even government transit operations are trying to save on operating costs.  Transit buses are only designed for a 500,000 mile service life so the hinge in a transit articulated doesn't have to last all that long compared to service life of a coach bus.

If anyone thinks their bus gets poor mileage, the local transit operation gets 3.86 MPG.  I suspect this is for 40 footers only and does not include the articulateds since the mileage figure was in a press release touting the 22% higher mileage the new hybrid 40 footers get.  (The hybrids cost at least 25% additional to buy, but the feds pay most or all of that cost.)

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 02:12:39 PM »

H5's aren't 500K buses, they are easily as stout as any other commercial bus and there are some that have run the Top Of The World Highway in AK for over 25years - they may be a maintence/repair nightmare but they are tough ole buses - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: