Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 09:49:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shifting a 102A3 5 speed  (Read 1729 times)
TrevorH

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2008, 12:59:53 PM »

I am hoping to drive home my new bus this weekend and just had to ask this first.  I have driven large vehicles before but nothing in a stick.  Any tips or suggestions or warnings on how to shift one? Or warnings? The only standards that I am familiar with are in cars, trucks and offroad buggies. The only think I have heard so far is to not depress the clutch completely unless at a dead stop shifting into first (clutch brake).  As always thanks for the help, I really dont feel like learning how to changeout a clutch just yet...

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 01:39:56 PM »

wow,

hope you have a short learning curve.

I think if you search the archives Russ (RJ) Long has a good shifting article.

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 01:41:03 PM »

Trevor, another member here, Russ/RJ Long has an excellent article over on BNO in the "Articles of Interest" part of that BBS. 

Try here:  http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/12262/16204.html?1167073154

That should get you started!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 02:15:56 PM »

just found and was about to post the link myself
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 02:23:03 PM »

Nice this looks like its gonna be fun.  How hard is it to add a tachometer? 8V92T

Tucson, AZ
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 02:51:28 PM »

not hard...... a tach will make your learning curve alot flatter/shorter.

HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 03:25:46 PM »

TrevorH, if you can walk and chew gum at the same time you will do just fine.  Nothing to it actually.  A tack is not really needed with just a five speed.  Use the speedo instead.  Remember to put it against the governor and don't be afraid to grind gears a little.  Double clutch, have fun, act goofy, smile alot and be sure to stop and smell the roses.  Nuf' said.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 03:37:14 PM »

Have you thought about seeing if one of our busnuts would be able to meet you at the time of pickup?  One thing that could help is to find a BIG parking lot or a really dead road to practice in.  When I picked up my first bus, I had never driven anything bigger than a 27ft motorhome and nothing with a diesel.  Sticks were no problem, except for this one!  Thankfully I brought my friend along with me (with more years driving truck in reverse than I've driven forward) and he helped me get the feel of the stick and timing the deceleration right to allow it to go into gear.  Good Luck and have FUN!

Hey everyone, does this thing have an electric reverse in it?  I've never driven more than a 4 speed spicer.

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 03:43:55 PM »

Wouldnt I want to keep in the lower rpms to be as fuel efficient as possible?  According to a piece of paper taped to the dash the shift pattern is    R     2     4   
       L___L___L
       1     3    5

Tucson, AZ
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 04:02:09 PM »

Trevor,
I'll chime in on the "put it against the governor" thing. Driving one of these things is unlike anything you've ever driven before unless you've driven a diesel farm tractor. You put it in first, don't touch the throttle and let the clutch out slowly. The governor will keep it running and get you going. Then you can literally mash your foot on the throttle and hold it near the floor. The engine will wind up to about 2000 RPM and level out. It won't over rev. Then leave it in first gear and drive for awhile at 15 mph. Up and down hills, with your foot near the floor, the bus will stay at 15 mph. Same thing applies to the higher gears. Once you get the feel for operating at 2K you'll know when to shift. Coincidentally its at this point that the pressure is released from the gears and you can slip the lever out of first and sneak it into second as the engine revs down. But that takes awhile to figure out. I drove mine using the clutch four about six months before I figured out how to shift without it.

Absolutely to not run at lower RPMs in higher gears. Two strokes should not be lugged. Just keep it screaming and it will run cooler and last longer.
Fred

Fred Thomson
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 04:19:49 PM »

Quote from: Fredward
Trevor,
"put it against the governor"
You put it in first, don't touch the throttle and let the clutch out slowly. The governor will keep it running and get you going. Then you can literally mash your foot on the throttle and hold it near the floor. The engine will wind up to about 2000 RPM and level out. It won't over rev. Then leave it in first gear and drive for awhile at 15 mph. Up and down hills, with your foot near the floor, the bus will stay at 15 mph. Same thing applies to the higher gears. Once you get the feel for operating at 2K you'll know when to shift. Coincidentally its at this point that the pressure is released from the gears and you can slip the lever out of first and sneak it into second as the engine revs down. But that takes awhile to figure out.

Absolutely to not run at lower RPMs in higher gears. Two strokes should not be lugged. Just keep it screaming and it will run cooler and last longer.
Fred

Excellant way off putting it! Happy motoring remember they was called scream'n jimmy's for a reason! LOL!
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 08:02:46 PM »

Would that advise apply to a 6v92t with a 740 auto?. Seems like it runs and shifts a lot better if you just stand on it and let her rip. (But don't want to hurt it.)

Thanks.

1992 MCI 102c3
Cummins l10 / Allison auto
Thekempters.com
dparker

mc 7 in progress

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 08:16:12 PM »

Chaz,

I have old trucker drivers tell me that with the DD 2 strokes the best way to drive them is to slam your finger in the door as you get in to get yourself mad at it and drive it like you stole it --

I could not find the post but a couple of months ago a guy suggested that you run it as hard as it willl go then watch the exhaust out your mirror as you get to the speed you want (i drive mine wide open most of the time as it only run about 78 mph) then just back off the trottle as long as you maitain your speed and you will see the hint of black (un burnt fuel) smoke disappear from the exhaust which will translate into a bit of extra heat that the engine cannot turn into motion ... make sense and works well for me ...

dp

1972 MC7

Parker Systems, LLC
800 8 PARKER
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 08:27:39 PM »

Tervor, your 8v92 was designed to run between 1400 and 1800 rpms drive it that way and you will have less oil leaks and better fuel mileage and a long lasting engine and a tach is a good idea  FWIW
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 08:39:18 PM »

Chaz,

I have old trucker drivers tell me that with the DD 2 strokes the best way to drive them is to slam your finger in the door as you get in to get yourself mad at it and drive it like you stole it --

I could not find the post but a couple of months ago a guy suggested that you run it as hard as it willl go then watch the exhaust out your mirror as you get to the speed you want (i drive mine wide open most of the time as it only run about 78 mph) then just back off the trottle as long as you maitain your speed and you will see the hint of black (un burnt fuel) smoke disappear from the exhaust which will translate into a bit of extra heat that the engine cannot turn into motion ... make sense and works well for me ...

dp

Grin sounds good to me.

Thanks.

1992 MCI 102c3
Cummins l10 / Allison auto
Thekempters.com
dparker

mc 7 in progress

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 08:45:17 PM »

all,

FWIW - i am not an expert in the diesel engine world -- i am simply relating my experience -- i completly yield to the guys like makemine... and the others that diesel mechanics or have experience in this field

just leting you know what works for me --

makemine, what do you recomend for my 8v71 -- i will get a tach but were would you suggest operating it, i have a 4 speed manual -- i would guess that if it is govern around 2k and does 78 mph -- i should keep it around 72 mph -- to optimize fuel and oil compsumtion ... but it more fun to just hammer on it ... lol

thanks, dp

1972 MC7

Parker Systems, LLC
800 8 PARKER
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 09:00:45 PM »

Dparker, the 8v71s like more rpms than the 92 series 1900 to 2100 doesn't hurt those engine but it will leak more oil at 2100 if your is set on 2000rpm that is a little slow for a 8v71 people set them to 2500 rpm with few problems but 2150rpm is a good setting for a long lasting engine keep yours between 1600 and 1900 for the best performance and fuel mileage  hope this helps some way
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: