Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 03:00:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: yikes!!!  (Read 6308 times)
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 05:42:09 PM »

well with everyone saying something different I'd not just slightly retarded now I'm severe profound.

Is there a way to kill the engine 1 second after I fire it up? (for when I change the oil and forget to refill with new stuff and look down into my hand a second after I hit the start button and say.... "look.... a drain plug".........) ((as a "for instance"... not that I would ever do that.....))
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:59:16 AM by chazwood » Logged

1992 MCI 102c3
Cummins l10 / Allison auto
Thekempters.com
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 05:52:46 PM »

Yes: Find the shut down lever on the top of the governor and decide what is the easiest way to reach it with your hand. Hold the lever closed and the engine will stop.

Edit: If you don't know what the governor is, order a manual for your engine from Detroit Diesel. The engine is not included in the bus manual.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 05:55:25 PM by Stan » Logged
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »

I'm on it like soot on a diesel.

Thanks. Grin

1992 MCI 102c3
Thekempters.com
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 06:17:01 PM »

It seems that one should, to be prepared, decide how they would manually move the shut off level.  If need be, rig something to do it and keep it handy.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
dparker

mc 7 in progress

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 06:37:17 PM »

Chaz,

You know you may even be more surprised one day when you are driving your bus (sorry coach) down the road and something happens with your air pressure again --

you may want to find a trucker to give you a 5 min tour around the air brakes ... in this case, specifically  the way spring brakes work on things like big trucks and big buses --

also given your self assessed level of knowledge with this thing staying safe with these buses requires a basic pre-trip and an understanding of automatic slack adjusters (if equipped i missed the model and year of your bus) or how to manually check and adjust your brakes as well as checking and draining the air from the system daily or prior to operating the coach --

i must admit i had the same deal happen to me once when i start my coach -- threw the switch and nothing happen - -then i caught a visual in my head of that little air cylinder on the top of the engine - glanced at the air pressure and thought "hey this thing will not shut down without air pressure" since then if i do something (change oil - filters - anything were i might want to shut the system down quickly -- i use my shop air to get the system to over 110lbs before i start the bus (on my bus it only takes about 25 psi and she will shut down)  -- on my coach (an older mci) it is on the curb side -- side engine compartment -- has a small valve you have to operate once you connect your shop air -- i have since added an aux air compressor that i can operate from the drivers seat -- make it nice to have the bus aired up before starting --

fwiw -- david

1972 MC7

Parker Systems, LLC
800 8 PARKER
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 07:21:17 PM »

I'm with you on the Manual Plan. Is there more than one I should get for the MC-9? (I assume I have to order it from MCI)

Coach Information Network is a common source for manuals.

http://www.coachinfo.com/Manuals/Coach/MCI/MCI9.html

Also, note the link on that page for finding engine manuals as well.

Another suggestion towards the point of learning about your bus.  Try to get to the first rally you can.  Even if you can't bring the bus.  You will be able to learn a lot there.  Another thing you might be able to do is find an experienced bus nut in your area.  If you can get together with them for a few hours or a weekend, you can learn a lot.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 08:16:37 PM »

Chaz,

Where are you located?

I looked at your profile and got a wierd location that confused mapquest.

I am wondering how far you are away from me? ( Tennessee )

Dave....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 08:55:40 PM »

Was laughing my butt off when I read this one. Been there, done that.

As you've probably figured out, your engine did not shut down because it did not have enough air to activate the shutdown solenoid. Whether it was because the toilet line was disconnected or because it had not yet built up enough air is not something I can answer. Either is possible.

I had this same problem once shortly after I bought my first bus. It was a real head scratcher. Then I learned how the system works and where the shutdown components are.  I've since made it a point to start my bus from the rear panel when it's been sitting for more than a few hours. That way, I can watch the oil pressure come up, and be there to shut it down manually.

Here's a photo from an MC8 which shows the shutdown solenoid and lever on an 8v71. It's not exactly the same on a 92 series, but very close. If you look through your fan belts, you'll see it on your engine. Best way for you to understand how it works is to start the bus, let it air up, and then shut it off using the kill switch on the rear remote panel. Watch the solenoid and lever when you hit the switch.

So, if you push that lever with your thumb, it will kill the engine. Be careful, though, as that solenoid can bite you, as has already been pointed out.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 09:28:39 PM »

So..... Did we all get a good chuckle in at the newbie chazwoods expense? Come on ....you know you were laughing...heck, half of you admitted you lived through it yourself.

Slapout, Alabama, is officially known as Deatsville for you map quest guys.

If a bus nut lives close by you'd better hurry with the schoolin' ...at the rate I'm messin' up, I will either be dead (and won't need it) or will have lived through it and learned it all. Angry Grin

1992 MCI 102c3
Thekempters.com
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 10:04:10 PM »

You're in perfect position to come to the Chattanooga rally being planned (assuming you don't blow yourself up first  Wink ).  The date is April 9-14.  The location specifics haven't been finalized yet.  Bubbaqgal is working on the details.

It will be closest and soonest (important for the above mentioned reason  Wink ).

Hope to see you here.

Another way to go would be to go over to Fred Hobe's in Madison, FL and spend some time with him.

Best yet, go see Fred right away, may save your life.  Then bring you and your bus to the Chattanooga rally for fun and the experience of a bunch of busnuts.

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 01:10:55 AM »

Yes, time to put down tools, leave engine turned off, and READ a ton of stuff.

You'd better know about the care and feeding of the air system and brakes on a worn out cast away motorcoach, that you have already been compromising...

There is the right way, and then there are many more of the rest. Unless you can find it in published journals, any advice you get needs to be held with a fair degree of suspicion as to its validity in your situation versus the seat of the soiled pants experience of the story teller.

Bendix has a lovely site with days worth of reading in it on the functionality of the bits and pieces. Many jurisdictions require some formal knowledge of using and testing air brake systems to get your licence, get the training materials.

Like the Kenny Rogers song...You gotta know when to hold 'em.....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Marcus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 04:56:36 AM »

chaz, I told you I would send you a manual free of charge if you give me your address. It looks like you need a bit more info on the basics before you travel too much. I would be glad to put the manual in the mail for you . Marc
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 06:22:25 AM »

So..... Did we all get a good chuckle in at the newbie chazwoods expense? Come on ....you know you were laughing...heck, half of you admitted you lived through it yourself.

Absolutely I was laughing. But it was not necessarily at you expense. It was more in fond memories of the fear I experienced the first time it happened to me, and the realization that I had no clue what the heck I was doing, and then the panic attack that came shortly after with the questions of, "What have I gotten myself into?"

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 07:14:07 AM »

chaz, I told you I would send you a manual free of charge if you give me your address. It looks like you need a bit more info on the basics before you travel too much. I would be glad to put the manual in the mail for you . Marc

I e-mailed you my address that same day. Do you need it again?

1992 MCI 102c3
Thekempters.com
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 07:18:11 AM »

The date is April 9-14. 

April 9-14!!??? How long do you think my luck will hold out? By then I either be a battle scared vet , or six feet under. Tongue

1992 MCI 102c3
Thekempters.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: