Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 09:07:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PD4501- 599 Kingman, AZ, I got it YEA!!!!!  (Read 3986 times)
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 05:04:32 AM »

I agree partially.

if the auction would have ended on it's own accord....and then a deal was struck then ebay doesn't get or possibly deserve thier cut.

however, if the deal was struck during an active auction...then ebay does.....especially if one or both of the parties want/expect any protection in the deal by ebay.

as for what ebay can do?

Well I bought a small sailboat several years ago.....well it ended up showing up missing some key parts.....which was not disclosed by the seller.....well through paypal/ebay and my credit card.....I disputed the sale.......and won.......due to the nondisclosure of the seller.

Also due to the nature of the beast, cost to return ship and storage during this whole process (over 6 months) I stated I would be happy to return the boat for the cost of storage and at his expense.

needless to say.......I kept possession of the boat  ( legally)

one of those things where the parts to make whole exceded the value of the boat ( retail pricing)

mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 06:07:03 AM »

I agree partially.

if the auction would have ended on it's own accord....and then a deal was struck then ebay doesn't get or possibly deserve thier cut.

however, if the deal was struck during an active auction...then ebay does.....especially if one or both of the parties want/expect any protection in the deal by ebay.

tekebird
as for what ebay can do?

Well I bought a small sailboat several years ago.....well it ended up showing up missing some key parts.....which was not disclosed by the seller.....well through paypal/ebay and my credit card.....I disputed the sale.......and won.......due to the nondisclosure of the seller.

Also due to the nature of the beast, cost to return ship and storage during this whole process (over 6 months) I stated I would be happy to return the boat for the cost of storage and at his expense.

needless to say.......I kept possession of the boat  ( legally)

one of those things where the parts to make whole exceded the value of the boat ( retail pricing)

tekebird

Let me try to explain this again.  EBay messenger, the contact seller link, all of my contacts with the seller were through that link.  I first asked her if she had a buy it now price.  She asked me to make an offer, but I did not want to offend her by bidding extremely lower than she had in mind.  (Come to find out she was asking $5000 locally.)  This went back and forth on the Ebay messenger for several rounds.  I made her an offer, she came back at me that no, she didn't want that and she was leaving in 90 minutes.  I immediately made her another offer for $75 more.  This is all on eBay messenger now, there was no "make an offer" option on the auction. 

Well, when I didn't hear back from her in 7 hours I figured she didn't like it or refused the offer that I'd made her through Ebay messenger.  I sent her a message saying that "I withdraw my buy it now offer, but I will continue budding."   Then I go to check where the bid is at like two hours later and the auction had been closed and that I was the winner for the last bid price."  Well, the last bid price and the offer I had withdrawn were $1200 different. 

So, is she trying to screw eBay and in the process of trying to screw eBay also screwing me on the buyer protection.  That to me looked dishonest.  And, a little bit of the screwing around in the back and fourth on eBay messenger.  I'm going to close the eBay account.  It doesn't have any of my financial information in it.  I'd be more than happy to let anyone log in and read the messages. 

Also, this is my thought...if she's trying to screw eBay, then did the coach even start and air up like she said it did?  Also, there's no title.  Is there a person even there to sign the right paperwork for AZ DMV?  I don't want to go though a 90 day abandonment lien sale because it's on the property.  Some of you know what I mean. 

The way I think is if I see a person screw around in one thing I question everything they do and so does my dad.  So, we decided that we don't want to get involved with that coach.  Maybe I'm over-reacting but, Hell.  We've been screwed before on eBay concerning an MCI.  So she can keep 599.

Mike

buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 06:25:26 AM »

Alot of the things posted in this thread is why it difficult to buy things like busses on ebay.  If you can't put your hands on it, how do you know what you are getting.  Unless it is at such a price that it is worth the risk I would stay closer to home.  I actually found my bus on ebay but it did not sell.  Being less than 2 hours away, I went and looked at it twice and made a deal.  Anyway, if you are going to deal on the bay it is best to have the issues (title work etc...) worked out before bidding/dealing.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 06:37:09 AM »

Mike - A couple of observations on your last post:

1) Using Ebay's messenger system to negotiate a deal directly with the seller is the same as negotiating off Ebay entirely - you can reach a legally-binding agreement with the seller, but it does NOT afford you any of the protections that you would have reached had you clicked on a 'Buy It Now' or 'Make Offer' button on the auction itself. (Bear in mind that such a negotiation is invisible and therefore unfair to other bidders, and of course Ebay don't earn any selling fees, so why should they offer any protection?). However, you situation is complicated by point 2 below:

2) I don't think it was made clear before that the auction was ended correctly by the seller using the 'Sell now to highest bidder' option within Ebay. This is crucial as it means you now DO have Ebay's protection, and the seller is now obliged to sell you the item at the price of your last bid. This is good news for you, although by the sounds of it the seller did not realise what the implications of her actions were, and she will no doubt expect you to honour your higher 'off Ebay' offer - but then you made that offer in good faith, so why wouldn't you?

From an outsider's perspective it does sound like you may be mis-interpreting the seller's actions and assuming she is trying to 'pull a fast one', whereas she might just be acting out of ignorance. Her actions have actually ensured she WILL pay Ebay fees, and that you ARE the guarenteed buyer with full Ebay protection. I would have a chat with her and try to resolve the confusion, agree what price you are going to pay (bearing in mind you had no right to withdraw an offer previously made), and go and collect your bus. (Apologies if I have misunderstood the situation, or there are facts I don't know about).

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
luvrbus

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 06:38:15 AM »

I have never bought from Ebay but will be trying to buy a Eagle bus. I was told if the bus does not meet his reserve at the end of the auction he can negotiate with me is this true or not
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 06:39:19 AM »

Hate to be a party poop here but.... Huh The first post said you had a deal for $3225. and sounded liked you were happy.
I thought it was a done deal.
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 06:43:40 AM »

The Seller on E*** was the one who contractualy agreed to pay E*** a "commission", not Mike, and If he was messaging on the E*** messenger then they should have a record of it. Mike was not responsible for paying the listing/sale fee, the seller was. Negotiating with the seller is not circumventing the rules. Also the seller should not have ended the auction early without a deposit (paypal or Huh?)

FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 06:46:16 AM »

I have never bought from Ebay but will be trying to buy a Eagle bus. I was told if the bus does not meet his reserve at the end of the auction he can negotiate with me is this true or not

Sure - if the bus doesn't sell in the auction then Ebay are no longer involved - the seller has effectively just paid for a classified advert, and buyers are free to approach him in the normal way.

How about a new poll - Where did you find your bus? Dealer / Classified Advert / Ebay auction etc.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 06:54:54 AM »

The Seller on E*** was the one who contractualy agreed to pay E*** a "commission", not Mike, and If he was messaging on the E*** messenger then they should have a record of it. Mike was not responsible for paying the listing/sale fee, the seller was. Negotiating with the seller is not circumventing the rules. Also the seller should not have ended the auction early without a deposit (paypal or Huh?)

FWIW

The Seller will already have had to pay Listing Fees, and will now also have to pay Selling Fees, even if Mike pulls out, (although it is possible to get Selling Fees later credited back after a period of time for 'Non Paying Bidders')

Ebay will have a record of the messages to-and-fro, but then so do both the buyer and seller. I strongly suspect the fact that the auction was eventually ended correctly effectively over-rides anything that was discussed previously however. Ebay certainly wouldn't be interested, and I suspect a court wouldn't either

Negotiating with the seller outside the auction IS circumventing Ebay's rules.

The seller certainly should have got a deposit before ending the auction.

Jeremy

Sojourner

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 09:23:41 AM »

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sometime I wonder if this is a make believe owner of big-ticket idem to earn a few dollars via this transaction process. Unless she/he didnít get any of the $599 of your money.
May I ask who get the share or all of your money? E*** or seller or both?

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 09:29:08 AM »

I bought my bus on Ebay and the seller wanted me to send him a cashiers check within 24 hours of the end of the auction.

The bus is 250 miles away and so is the title.

Kind of makes you nervous but it all worked out and he delivered the bus.

and I'm very happy with my bus

Just my experience

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 10:05:54 AM »

As for "I don;lt think you can bitch about not getting an item that you didn;t pay for."
It is the same damn thing as refusing to pay & the seller bitching about a bead beat bidder. A contract is a contract & breaking it is the same weather you are the seller or the buyer.

Mike, you sounded enthusiastic about your buy it now offer, why the retraction?
Get on the phone & talk it out. Lots gets left out with short emails.

That is not too bad a price. You aren't likely to find more bus for less $$.

From the ad "We do reserve the right to end this auction early" so, there isn't anything wrong with them ending it early - THAT was disclosed in the ad copy.

Also from the ad "You will receive a bill of sale when you pic this up....." - that means there is no title. Titles weren't generally issued for buses in the 50's & some of mine were NEVER titled. There are ways to get a title, it varies from state to state & to whom you talk to at the DMV.

"You will have to tow this...or flatbed as a choice of removel as it is not street worthy..." Sounds like the seller is being up front. I'd guess the bus does start up & air up just as they said. AND after moving a couple of these, I'd also be very weary of just hopping in & trying to drive it off. Things like the steel braided air lines get very brittle over time & can break easily BTDT. Also, the rubber diaphragms don't usually have a great service life after sitting up for so long.

So, to get her home, either make the repairs where she sits & drive her, OR hire a Landoll type trailer to move her to a suitable location where you can take care of her service needs.
I paid $95/ hour + 15% fuel surcharge to have 011 moved. No surprises & no damage.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 10:47:26 AM »

from what has been recently posted.....seller is above board as far as ebay goes.

Buyer has buyers remorse or something.

although that was not the proper "ebay" way for them to communicate and make the deal.

Seller should have just said bid.....she could have easily made more....so by ending it early she did the buyer a favor and saved him a couple bucks.

What is suspect is we are dealing in increments of less than 100.00 and people are worried about it......keepin mind it is going to take thousands in parts and hundreds of man hours to get that thing road worthy...and presentable.

I suspect if you can find the upper windshields whoever has them wil want 3k or better for the set.

as far as buying big ticket on ebay.........IMHO, your an idiot if you bid on something without laying hands on it......even my folks 4108 which has been on ebay......we have only had a hand full of people bother to come see her.

Another option is to commuincate with the seller that you will send the deposit as per the listing but your bid is contigent on your inspection......most who have nothing to hide will agree.......also nice if you offer to pay the relisting fees as well as original listing fees for this understanding.

Seller really only has legal claim to the ammount bid...noit the offer......but just give her the offered the retracted offer ammount...hell we are talking 75.00

BusMom

1978 GM4905A

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 11:18:02 AM »

When we were looking for a bus to buy we got lucky and found her on E-bay.  The PO was very upfront about making sure that before he would complete the sell that we had to come and physically look at the bus and make sure all was as he had stated in his add.  It was and we drove home in a great bus that we are enjoying the fun and frustrations of being a busnut.

Amy Riley
Norman (Oklahoma City Area), Oklahoma
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 11:26:17 AM »

I suspect if you can find the upper windshields whoever has them wil want 3k or better for the set.

If you want real pricing for parts for a Scenicruiser, I'd suggest talking to someone that has one.

I don't suspect, I know.

Last I talked to him, Pat McNeil offered me the upper windshields for $900 each.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: