Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 04:07:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What not to do.  (Read 3037 times)
chazwood

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2008, 06:53:03 AM »

This little antidote would have to fall into the category of what I would not-have-done had I been thinking.

In my house we started a tradition of giving the kids a "Mid-day present" on their birthdays. This is exactly as it sounds and is designed to occupy them until later, so they don't bug us to death.  (buying the young ones very advanced Lego sets, keeps them confused for hours.) Anyway, the day I removed the last bus seat just happened to be my daughter's birthday and we decided to gather and celebrate in the bus. Everyone scrambled around to find something to sit on and we gave her her 5000 piece jigsaw puzzle. A few hours later I decided to see how my bus drove with both tag axles pumped up so I yelled to my 17 yr old son to come-go-with. He got in and  started fooling around on this office chair (someone had brought in for the mid-day event) by  scooting up and down the bus like a hockey player. Everything was going fine, because I was learning that instead of timidly pushing the gas pedal down about half way and creeping along like a bloated cow, I should just cram that thing to the floor and the bus would actually go. I turned off the road into the new school complex to short cut back home.....He's skating, I'm cramming. As we approach the front of the new school (at about 30mph) I realize that that black paint stripe about 2 ft wide ain't a paint stripe. It's a giant speed bump........No.... more like a speed mountain. (incidental, you can tell the difference between a speed bump and a speed mountain because a speed mountain has had the peak of the mountain plowed off by all the cars that tried to get over it without scraping.) Well, of course I did what anyone who cared about their new bus with air suspension would do...I tested my emergency breaking skills without thinking about my son skating in the very back of the bus. I had my eyes on that speed bump but became aware of a rapidly approach sound from the back of the bus....Kind'a sounded like the sound you get when a large dog (who doesn't know any better) runs out onto the ice.... then tries to stop with legs splayed stiff and all claws engaged. Well, maybe it didn't sound exactly like that but I'm sure it LOOKED like that. He passed me going about 25mph.   Not really, but, only because I had had the foresight not to take out the stairwell partition.

This little experiment taught me that taking a trip with a bunch of lawn chairs (or office chairs ) that aren't bolted to the floor might not be that great of an idea. I know most of you have tried the "Steel tent" approach before you finished your conversion (just so you could have some early fun)....but what kinds of chairs and furniture did you use temporarily?

Thanks.

Chaz

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 07:20:11 AM by chazwood » Logged

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 07:25:12 AM »

It's more fun with Razor scream machines Grin
Razor Scream Machine Steel Construction

http://www.razor-scooters.com/scream-machine-big-wheel/razor-scream-machine-shredder-blue.htm

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 07:42:14 AM »

Super Yikes!  Shocked Shocked Shocked  Now it's not enough to kill yourself before you learn the basic lessons?  j/k (but kind of not)

[Soap Box Lecture]
This could have easily been a real tragic story involving your son getting an ambulance ride to the hospital with a head or back injury.  That would have ruined his life and permanently taken away any joy would ever feel with your bus.

You observed that you wouldn't have done this if you would have thought about it.  It is critical that you take time to think about safety or you will meet with tragedy very soon.  You have a great new toy that will give pleasure/frustration for years to come.  Please, I implore you.  Slow down and spend some time learning more about safe operation of your bus before proceeding.  It can be a lot of fun, but it is also over 12 tons (stripped out) of danger to you, your family and anyone on the road around you.  Again I urge, find a nearby busnut that you can spend some time with learning basic safety and some insights into conversion.
[/Soap Box Lecture]

I don't mean to be too harsh but we want to have you around here for a long time and right now you've got me worried about you being here next week.

And, you are right, unsecured chairs, or anything else (refrigerators, TV's, etc.), will be in the front with you in a real panic stop.  This happened at 25mph.  What if you are going 50+ and an idiot ahead slams on their brakes for no reason?  (happened to me).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 07:46:20 AM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 07:50:16 AM »

dont know if there is a way to find it online but Mythbusters did an episode where they placed items on the package shelf of a car and stopped it as if it was in a head on crash to see how much the items moving forward would impact the driver from behind. some of the really light stuff was not bad but the moderate to heavy (bowling ball) did some pretty bad damage.
steve
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 07:53:59 AM »

Yup, what HTRN said.

Just because it stopped short at that speed, doesn't mean your brakes are right.

It could stop like that with only the fronts working. It will not stop properly from highway speed or stay in control down a big hill unless all the brakes are doing their share.

Report back on the applied pushrod stroke measurements for all your brake chambers, and that this bus builds and maintains air at least close to DOT specs please.

The whole hobby depends on each of us to stay out of trouble.
Trouble is where knee jerk government regulation comes from, and we don't need bad press.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 10:57:15 AM »

The brakes feel pretty good....(My son knows they work pretty good) The coach was in service and inspected and passed last year. Not like it's been sitting around for 10 years or anything. The air pressure dial thingy says 120 pretty quick. And believe it or not my son wants to invent a new sport. OCBH   (office chair bus hockey). I'm sorry if my story offended or worried anyone. I will try to be more careful in the future and not relate any of the scary stuff if it happens. (My luck, I will probably lead a very boring life from now on and have absolutely nothing else to tell anyway.) My apologies.

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 11:23:25 AM »

Never mind....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 11:28:54 AM »

Never mind....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

No really.....I'm listening.....I'll try to be more careful....really.....I promise.

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 12:11:54 PM »

Keep the stories comming...chances are most of us have done something eaqually stupid in the past and, speaking for myself, its nice to know Im not the only one who does stupid stuff ! Roll Eyes

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 03:22:06 PM »

Chaz,

I'm not suggesting that you lead a boring life.  I am all for you having fun with your bus and your family.  And of course your son thought it was fun.  Teenage boys love danger.  It's in their genes.  Too many of them die or become handicapped for life in the pursuit of thrills.  But you are the responsible adult (I hope).

I emphasize again, I really want you to enjoy this new adventure you've started.  I just want you and your family to be able to enjoy it for a long time.  Please just keep safety in mind and spend some time learning how to safely operate your bus so that you don't have to learn any of the really harsh lessons the hard way.
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 06:38:56 PM »

Chaz,

I'm not suggesting that you lead a boring life.  I am all for you having fun with your bus and your family.  And of course your son thought it was fun.  Teenage boys love danger.  It's in their genes.  Too many of them die or become handicapped for life in the pursuit of thrills.  But you are the responsible adult (I hope).

I emphasize again, I really want you to enjoy this new adventure you've started.  I just want you and your family to be able to enjoy it for a long time.  Please just keep safety in mind and spend some time learning how to safely operate your bus so that you don't have to learn any of the really harsh lessons the hard way.

Yes, Dad..... I'll do better ...I promise. Grin

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
akmc5

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »

Thanks for the story man....as I was reading it I was thinking of all the responses that it was going to promote...

Come on, dude....you have been around this board long enough to know better than to tell a story like that...   Tongue

I like to hear about stuff like this....the stories about when you do something stupid and then realize that you just did something stupid.  HA!  Happens to me all the time.

But I'm not going to tell you what could have happened 'cause I'm sure you realized it as soon as you hit the brakes.  Besides, I'm pretty sure that you weren't looking to be taught about the dangers of life when you told your story.  I'll give you a little credit and assume you are smart enough to learn those on your own.  Wink

Anyways....stay safe and keep 'em coming brother.

NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 07:12:34 PM »

That tops the game we had when we were kids. 

Parents had early 60's ford station wagon.  the one with the big round taillights.  was all metal in the back with the rear seat down.  we would ride back ther down independence blvd in Charlotte. seems there was a stoplight every 20 ft.  anyway there was sometime cardboard back there and at every red light we would ride it to the front seat, then ride it to the back when the light turned green. Smiley  I guess 40 ft and wheels would be much more fun,  until u fly out the wind shield.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 07:24:51 PM »

Come on, dude....you have been around this board long enough to know better than to tell a story like that...   Tongue

Like I always say....."what good is a story, if you can't tell it?

Just think, by me sharing this event with you all.....I might be saving someones life. Who knows how many people as stupid as me might buy a bus....load up the relatives and the office chairs and rip down the highway without thinking of the consequences and send their whole family tree through the windshield? Now ,thanks to me, they will know better. All you experts would never have thought to warn them...... but I just did.

See how we can all work together? You tell them WHAT to do...and I'll tell them what NOT to do.

And the nice thing about it is, I will probably be able to tell them all the things you would never even think of. You know, stuff like, "Hey man....those railroad ties you're trying to use as ramps would work a lot better if they weren't square on both ends".

Thanks.

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 07:52:07 PM »

Like I always say....."what good is a story, if you can't tell it?

Just think, by me sharing this event with you all.....I might be saving someones life. Who knows how many people as stupid as me might buy a bus....load up the relatives and the office chairs and rip down the highway without thinking of the consequences and send their whole family tree through the windshield? Now ,thanks to me, they will know better. All you experts would never have thought to warn them...... but I just did.

See how we can all work together? You tell them WHAT to do...and I'll tell them what NOT to do.

And the nice thing about it is, I will probably be able to tell them all the things you would never even think of. You know, stuff like, "Hey man....those railroad ties you're trying to use as ramps would work a lot better if they weren't square on both ends".

Thanks.

Good point, and I love your sense of humor about it all.  I enjoy reading your posts too.  Just be careful "son".
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: