Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 11:14:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus ID by Vin #  (Read 2637 times)
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 05:25:14 PM »

Some one ask about the supenson.

It is spring.  Not Air.

Has power steering too.  Looks like it might have A/C in the coach with addition to the roof top units, from looking around the inside of the coach.  But not sure yet, it will be a week or so before I can get back to where it is setting.

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 06:25:05 PM »

My guess is that is a Superior.  It is similar to mine in that it has two smaller bays that start aft of the from wheels.  Also the rear side screen door to the to the engine compartment is the same. It has been modified quite a bit through.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 06:40:20 PM »

it is NOT a Custom Coach Landcruiser, It is not a highway Coach of any sort that I am familiar with.

My Bet is on a modified GMC Chassis Superior Body unit...and yep looks like an Engine fire
Dallas

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 06:43:19 PM »

That, sir, looks like a 6V53, the original Screamin' Jimmy!

A sweet little engine, but kind of under powered for your use.

There is a tag on the rocker cover that will give you lots of information including valve and injector settings.

The wiring to get it running is very simple and you could have someone follow you home so you wouldn't need lights.

The engine actually needs no electricity to run, so once you have fuel to the rail, you could pull start it.

Good Luck!

Dallas

Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 01:04:37 PM »

I think I agree on a Superior as a starting point for the body.  It sure looks like a 6-53 in there, which would be larger than engines I remember on schoolbuses from that vintage.  Again, though, schoolbuses aren't my prime field of experience. 

By the way, they tried to build transit buses for a while.  I ran some when I was GM of a property in Ohio, and for those, Superior was not an appropriate name.  Their schoolbuses seemed to do well.  I wouldn't have seen it, but the suggestion of Superior, combined with my memory of the side fluting, fits.  It has been highly modified, front and rear above the belt line.  However, there may be a chance that the Superior nameplate is still inside the front cabinets - centered above the windshields - if there's any of the original interior left there.  That's the only place I know to look on Superiors - some others had the body mfgr's nameplate top left, over the driver's head.

On our 4107 we had to strip carpet off the dash area to find the builder's plate, which wasn't quite where I remembered it.  Gee, I wonder if that says something about my memory over the last 35 years or so --  no, couldn't be.

Arthur
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 01:52:09 PM by Runcutter » Logged

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 01:45:24 PM »

that is a Superior on a GMC they were built for export to South America and a few were converted to motor homes to compete with the Blue Bird at the time.At Stewart and Stevenson in the late 1960s and very early 70s there would always be 5 or 6 waiting for the v653 engines install to be exported (one of our government deals)as best I can remember they came there with a v6 gas engine
Bob Gil

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 02:11:14 PM »

Superior on a GMC frame work?

Is this good or bad?

I still have not figured out about the total electric, is it good of bad?

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 02:15:20 PM »

Hello Bob.

All electric or incorporating some propane into your conversion is a matter of choice.

Both ways have their proponents and their detractors.

In my case, she said no gas, so I'm keeping the beans to a minimum....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Bob Gil

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 02:23:35 PM »

The one I bought was done all electric. 

I am use to the travel trailer where I could cook or make coffee with out starting a generator.  The 12 volt fan on the propane central heat furnace was nice and quite too.

I am not real big at stopping in camp sites every time I stop.  I like to spend time in the middle of no where some too.

I can't wait to get mine home so I can learn more about the holding tanks and stuff.

Bob

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 02:44:39 PM »

All Electric coaches popularly incorporate a second set of batteries, deep cycle ones, and an ac/dc inverter to take care of the modest 120 volt electric loads between times of running the generator or hooking up to a power pole.

With propane, you fill the tank, with batteries, you charge 'em up.

All depends how you want to use the coach, and how long you are going to plan to be off in the boonies.

Search both this site and BNO  www.busnut.com in the message archives. There is a wealth of info already posted on the two schools of thought.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: