Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 11:15:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Hockypucks, What a set of HOOTERS..  (Read 3617 times)
superpickle

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2008, 02:17:59 PM »

These are Nathan P-5 Air Chime Locomotive horns that can be heard 5 miles away...
they number P-1 through P-5..  Grin Grin Grin 
I cant wait to BLOW these Hooters...

No bus yet, but I have the Horns... LOL...

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 02:20:04 PM »

Better get a Big compressor and an extra really big auxiliary tank!  Grin
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 02:30:17 PM »

Better get a bus to put the large tank and compressor on first
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 02:31:40 PM »

What you should do is mount that puppy on a Geo Metro!! Grin

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 02:32:34 PM »

You can use those to blow the bad drivers right off the road.

What kind of bus are you looking for?  Do you know how much air they take?  What size air line etc?

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 02:35:48 PM »

What kind of bus are you looking for?  Do you know how much air they take?  What size air line etc?

Thay have a Half inch fitting but will work @ 90 to 150+ Im told..

I have a bus on Hold in Tucson, a 4106..

Paul...

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
Dallas

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 02:39:58 PM »

What kind of bus are you looking for?  Do you know how much air they take?  What size air line etc?

Thay have a Half inch fitting but will work @ 90 to 150+ Im told..

I have a bus on Hold in Tucson, a 4106..

Paul...

Yup, they'll work on 90-150 psi... but that isn't Volume! which is measured in CFM.

Good Luck!  Wink

Dallas
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 02:49:29 PM »

I'll tell you...

An air starter tank would make a great reservoir to feed those monsters!

Seriously, you may want to be thinking about isolating those babies with a pressure protection valve, so the rest of the coach doesn't empty through them, if the valve should "stick open" too long.

You'd like to have enough air left to stop with!!!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 03:33:42 PM »

Mount them backwards and use them as auxillary thrusters?  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 06:08:34 PM »

You'll need at least 3/4" air line to run these at all.  Below that they won't sound right, won't have much audible volume, and would be a waste of the roughly $1,000 that they are worth if new or in good working condition.

To provide enough air volume for at least a couple seconds or so of use, you will need a dedicated two gallon tank -- three to five would be better, and five would probably let you use 7/8" or 1" line as well.

The canonical way to add diesel chimes or ship's whistles to buses or trucks is to install the dedicated tank fairly close to the horns and plumb them with large diameter line, then run 3/8" standard DOT air line from your auxiliary tank or supply to the dedicated tank through a pressure-protection valve.  This last item will protect the rest of the air in your aux tank when you vent the horn tank to atmosphere through the chimes.

Bear in mind that these chimes are illegal to use in many, many states, and illegal to even have installed in quite a few (actual railroad locomotives follow a different set of laws).  The statute usually does not call out diesel chimes in particular, but is instead worded to prohibit "excessively loud" horns or horns over a certain output in dBA .  So you might think about installing them where they can not be seen by the casual observer.  FWIW.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 06:24:25 PM »

Where's the NJT guys with their take out air starter tanks?

And you thought it was worthless!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 06:39:47 PM »

Keep in mind the first time you blow them if there is a cop within that 5 miles youa re going to get a ticket
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 07:11:31 PM »

Keep in mind the first time you blow them if there is a cop within that 5 miles youa re going to get a ticket

He probably won't have enough air for a long enough blast to allow the cop to pinpoint where the sound came from  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 07:51:07 PM »

There was a nut up in the NW at a Eagle rally that had a set of these mounted on the top of his coach. I do not think he ever used them on the road. They were great for calling everyone when the chow was ready.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 08:21:48 PM »

The little air horn on my Dina is loud enough.  I couldn't imagine the noise from that big horn. I never even knew I had an air horn for a long time.  There was a button on the floor next to the dimmer swith that I had no idea what it was for.  My friend accidently stepped on it one day and we found out what it was in a hurry.

There is only one time that the air horn has ever been used on the road.  One day it was maybe 2 am going through a tunnel on I80.  The tunnel was empty so the driver blasted the ar horn a few times to hear the echo.  My friend who was way in the back had no idea why the horn was being blasted and came running up to the front in a panic.  He thought we were going to crash or something.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: