Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 02:17:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Hockypucks, What a set of HOOTERS..  (Read 3742 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 10:12:32 PM »

I have two double truck air horns on my roof (17" and 15" for the first and cut the second down to 13" and 11") with two air  valves-one for each set of horns with a chain connecting the two.  Then I can either blow just the high two, the low two or all four together.  I also have a normal two tone electric horn.  If all fails, I have a push button next to the air horn chain for blowing my 4 chime Buell train horns designed for trucks.  They have plastic bells so they are not very heavy, and I have them mounted facing down just in front of the entry door.  VERY loud.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
kysteve

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 10:32:49 PM »

Pickle,

Mount em, blow em, and sport em.  Sometimes we just gotta do things just cause its cool!! Cool  Cool

Remember, do it YOUR WAY cause no other way will suit you.

I want a set to mount just behind the front passenger tire just for the idiots that want to pull up on my right side when its clear that I have every intention of turning right. Grin  Grin  Grin
dparker

mc 7 in progress

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 11:56:40 PM »

i have a set of 5 chime nathan on one of my big trucks -- i have another set that i intend to place on my bus... like has been stated i intially hooked them up to the air line 1/4 that goes to the factory air horn -- while they sounded ok -- they really started to sound like something when i plumbed a 1/2" air line directly off the main tank thru a 1/2" solenoid air valve -- i then place a two position toggle switch that i labeled city and train - so if you push the city horn button on the steering wheel you can get the sound you want and then the "legal" air horn is still on the chain... (durring truck inspections at the weigh stations they sometimes require you blow your city horn) if you blow them for like 25 seconds the air pressure will drop to 60 psi -- and that is on a semi which has several large tanks for support the trailer and truck -- so i added a pressure switch to interupt the valve at 90 psi -- have fun -- very illegal in my state and the absolute thing to blow if you really want someone to get out of your way -- but great fun -- i placed mine in battery box on the passenger side of the truck -- still LOUD -- have fun -- do not blow them on the in field at Talladega - they will ask you to leave ... do not ask me how i know ....lol

have fun -

1972 MC7

Parker Systems, LLC
800 8 PARKER
skipn

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 05:05:40 AM »

Pickle,

I have a brass 2 horn setup in the compartment under the drivers seat with only a 3/8 hose from
 the air tank that is there.

1. I can control the loadness by how far I open the valve.
  2. A short burst doesn't drain the tank About 10 lbs drop.

Enjoy but just remember they can be load enough to scare a driver and if a wreck insues you
 could be responsible. Caution as told to me by the PO Smiley

Skip
Gary W

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 09:01:50 AM »

Hi Guy

I don't have big air horns on my bus but I have them at work on  this locomotive , lots of air.

Locomotive Engineer Gary 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 09:09:39 AM by Gary W » Logged
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 01:44:20 PM »

I put 2 sets of train horns on my 9,
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=352.msg2760#msg2760
1/2" air line is just enough. Smiley Wink Grin Cool Cool Kiss

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 09:29:56 PM »

My MC5a has the original air horn beneath the driver,  It is disconnected but it is functional.  Must it be plumbed from a dedicated tank or could I use any available supply?  I also have two long ones on the roof, but I haven't found any way to fire them up, so I think they are disconnected also.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 09:25:56 AM »

My MC5a has the original air horn beneath the driver,  It is disconnected but it is functional.  Must it be plumbed from a dedicated tank or could I use any available supply?  I also have two long ones on the roof, but I haven't found any way to fire them up, so I think they are disconnected also.

You shouldnt need anything special for eithwer unless you Blow all of them at once..
Im going to put in an Extra 50 gallon  or so air tank for those monsters..  Grin

Of course, I'll need a Bus first..  Sad

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 09:36:12 AM »

You shouldnt need anything special for eithwer unless you Blow all of them at once..
Im going to put in an Extra 50 gallon  or so air tank for those monsters..  Grin

One site that sells the air chimes also sells an air system to support it. That system uses two 5 gallon tanks and a Viarr (sp?) compressor.  So I would presume that a 10 gallon tank should do it.  Of course you could install the separate air system anyway so that you could blow them even when the bus wasn't aired up.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 12:04:10 PM »

I have 2 pairs of air horns and a 4 note train whistle. Air horns are supplied with 3/8" air line from the OEM accessory tank and controlled by electric solenoids. Train whistle is supplied with 1/2" air line from a separate tank and controlled by a 1/2" ball valve. I can blow all horns for a 5-10 second blast with only about a 10 PSI pressure drop. The OEM horn switches in the steering wheel are now labeled "EMERGENCY ONLY". Hitting this switch activates both pair of air horns plus a pair of electric horns. Hit the steering wheel switch with my right hand and pull up on the ball valve and you get a whole lot of horn.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 12:35:49 PM »

Guys,

I am so very impressed with all this Air Horn equipment.  Never saw the likes.  Super will install a 50 GALLON AIR TANK for just his horns?  How do you spell "in touch with reality?" Grin Grin Grin  See now, I am just jealous that I don't have this much imagination(?).

Don't think I'm not into noise, however.  I blew my "double" air horn installation's worth on day at a de Ville that just wandered into my lane for no apparent reason other than a death wish.  That huge Sedan just started gyrating between the lines like it was bouncing off them and then the turn signal went on and the white haired driver moved over.  All his windows were up and I'm, sure the AC was humming in his slightly limo ride.  Great stuff those air horns.  Cost me $25 per set for a $50 investment that was worth that one use.  The only other time I blew them in frustration was in a parking garage.  Four women were walking down the center of the ramp and chattering while I crept along behind them for at least half the length of the ramp.  My date kept saying "Please don't blow those air horns, John".  No deal!  one small short blast and the way was clear.  In both of these instances I was driving a Datsun 240 Z...not a bus.

On my S&S I installed those cheapy plastic horns but ran them off of my air tank and regulated them to 95 pounds.  They were directed out the passenger side at knee level.  Every single person that I demonstrated them to had the same exact comment...."you are going to hurt someone with those, John".  Never in 6 years needed to blow them although I would have been justified in more than a few circumstances.  They usually run at a deafening pitch on less that 30 PSI.  I learned that they exploded at 105 PSI.  Don't ask how I know that.  Got more tho.

I now have those horns mounted in the front and out the R side on two separate buttons.  Won't use them in any situation where the other guy's safety has fallen to zilch concern because of my own comming to the fore. Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin

Happy horning everyone.

Sometimes CRAZY is all ya got left,

John
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 02:47:05 PM by JohnEd » Logged

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 02:17:28 PM »

Miss Lazy gets all over me for this, but I really love to blast those big hooters in one of the tunnels on the WV turnpike. Still a little kid I guess.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2008, 02:20:28 PM »

Yup, nothing like a long blast on the air horns through those WV tunnels at O'Dark:30 to keep everyone alert!

Direct drive to Florida for Spring Break, switch at Wytheville, so a little perkin' up at that point is required!

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2008, 03:23:43 PM »

I think it was Jack who said this.
Put an electric solenoid valve on each individual trumpet and hook them to your laptop and play music.
That would be way cool.
 Shocked

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2008, 04:08:38 PM »

The neighbours would love the "tuning" that would be required to get it just right...

And of course, practice of the new musical instrument would be a given...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: