Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 01:52:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breather on bus  (Read 2890 times)
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 05:21:15 AM »

Bob: Maybe this will help clarify the picture. A Detroit free breathing (N ) engine has a blower which is a mechanically driven supercharger on the intake air. This is different than the turbo on a Mack which is a supercharger driven by the exhaust gases. All 2 cycle Detroits have the blower and higher horsepower models of the same series also have a turbo (T) (exhaust driven) feeding the air to the blower.  Thus, you can have a 6-53N without a turbo or a 6-53T with a turbo, but both have a blower.
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 05:56:50 AM »

I remember some thing like that from years ago when I frist started driving but that has been 30 years now and I have not driven many of the 2 strokers. 

I have normaly driver cummins and cats.  I own a 85 chevy sburban with a 4BT cummins in it and three Macks and they are all mack.  This is my first Detriot, I have always disliked the sound but I guess I better get use to it.

I am learning more every day I guess that is a good think.

Is there a breather that can be mounted on the top of the engine like they were on the older (60's & 70's) where the air filter had a plate on the top and bottom of it and you could see it setting on the top of the engine?  If I can get a filter and make the plates do you tink that would work ok?

Bob

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 06:33:39 AM »

Bob, mount you a air cleaner some where besides on the engine and try to use 2-90 degree hoses this will help on the engine noise.If you don't like the sound of 2 strokes wait till you crank the 6v53.A air silencer is made for that engine also  good luck
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 06:44:40 AM »

Bob, the company referenced above, Donalson carries them.  I see them on Ebay quite often, in fact I am looking for the right one for mine.  When you look at your bus I am pretty sure you will find the 'chimmney' so to speak that will allow the air to come in from the intake on the right rear you sent the photo of.
So, if that is the case and it pretty much has to be...you will need to measure the 'Chimmny' on top of the engine, the 'Chimmney'the caniter the filter goes in, both for diameter, then purchase the canister that matches the diameters and two rubber thingys to match it up.
It might take a while for the right one to show up on ebay, just keep looking!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 06:58:05 AM »

Bob, buy you a air filter in the 600cfm to 700cfm range and it will have plenty of air flow for that engine, look at the ECO system also it is a great filter for 2 strokes
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 07:02:06 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
Bob Gil

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 07:30:16 AM »

What would a air silencer be?

Never hear of any thing like that.

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 09:41:43 AM »

Bob  go to www.powerlinecomponents.com to see what a air silencer looks like it bolts to the top of the blower
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 09:45:32 AM »

If you use an enclosed remote mounted air cleaner, typically these naturally will silence the noisy blower a lot.  I would highly recommend against using an open type air cleaner on top of the engine since you will still be getting all the blower noise coming through.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 10:02:55 AM »

I would also caution you not to run it without an air cleaner of some kind.  Dirt is the big enemy of Detroit engines.  If it appears to have been run much without the cleaner, I would be concerned about the engine.  A rear engine bus has a lot more dirt thrown up around the engine than a truck. From the looks of the engine compartment, I would be concerned anyway.

Len
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:05:04 AM by Len Silva » Logged

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Bob Gil

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 03:34:26 PM »

I agree Len that is why I was asking the question.

I went back and played with it a little more today.  And you all were right.  There is a canaster in the right rear of the engine compartment.  I think all the hoses must have gotten burn't off in the fire.  I think that is the problem with the fuel hose it got pertty hot there in the rear.  But I have to admitt that I have not seen a mess like this in a long time.  I might have let it pass if I had realized the extent of it all at first.

I talked to the builder.  Got some insite on it.  The good part is the genset is a 14 KW the brakes and drums have just been replaced less than 1000 miles back. tires too.

He said that he always ran the genset all the time he was out and not in a park.  That sounds expensive to me. 

Here are more pictures.  If you look you can see the canaster and what is left of the rubber hose on it.

Here is a picture of the rear as some one noticed the altanator is belt driven off the front of the engine.  You can see in the second picture the belts are gone from it.

Then again I found it was only a 60mph buss.  It was a old military shuttle bus at one time with a Big V6 gass in it.  He said that it got 10 mpg with the genset running.  I hope that is right but with the new diesel I would not bet on it.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 03:39:04 PM by Bob Gil » Logged

Dallas

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 03:45:23 PM »

Bob,
You should find that the wiring for that engine is probably the simplest you'll ever mess with.In order to make it run, all you have to do is preset the governor and pull start the beast.

After that it will run as long as it has fuel, oil and coolant.

The fuel pump is mechanical, the governor is mechanical and none of it requires electricity to make the engine run.

It's also easy enough to wire up the starter, oil pressure gauge, water temp gauge and depending on the alternator, the charging system.

Lights might be a little tougher, but still nothing a seasoned owner operator can't handle.

After that it's all gravy, just a tweak here and there and you'll be back in business.

Good luck, and if you need a simplified wiring diagram, just PM me and I can send you one. It won't be for that exact coach, but it will get the basic wiring done.

Dallas
luvrbus

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 03:47:08 PM »

That is the air cleaner If I may suggest to you remove the plate on top of the blower where the air cleaner hooks ups to blower as there is a screen under it and clean it before you start the engine. all fires look worse than they are most of the time    

good luck and enjoy your bus
Bob Gil

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 04:00:08 PM »

Too late on cleaning it out before starting it.  It has been driven about 15 milies since the fire.  It was orginally pulled with a wrecker from the orginal fire sight.

It has not been driven too much they said they have not refilled the 5 gallon can since they put it in the buss.

I am going to have to ge the fuel lines working before i chance driving it 60 miles home, along with some kind of tubing on the breather.  I tried to get the element out of the canister but the screw just turned in the bracket.  I guess I will have to go back and cut the bolt out and replace it it is real rusty and croaded.

Don't you love to inhearet some one else's mess?

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 04:09:35 PM »

Inheriting another's mess?

Welcome to the hobby!!!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Bob Gil

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2008, 04:28:52 PM »

Dallas The dash is all digital I am going to have to figure that out I am use to the old gauges with the tubes on the end.  I guess that would be some long tubes on a bus.

I figure I will get it home after getting a fuel line (What do you think about the fuel tank they have in it?) and breather.  I will take the altaenator off and that it to my rebuilder and see if it is any good.  and find a regulator for it.

I ran it for long enough to build up the air today.  Noticed that the air compressor did not shut off, the pop off was blasting.  I looked and I did not see the normal govonor for the air compressor that I am use to.  I looked on the back wall I even tried to trace the hoses that came off the compressor and did not find any thing I could call a govonor.  Any ideas?  I did notice the popoff was towards the front of the bus.

The battries ar up enough to start the beat and they have a push button starter on the engine.  I was able to start it with no problams.  It starts real easy and no smoke.  They said they had not charger the batteries in almost a year I am not too sure about that but they are holding a charge pertty good. 

I did hook the ole 4BT to them and let it idle for about an hour to boost them a little.

I can't wait to get it out on the road even if it is only 60 mph.  That is going to crimp my style a lot. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 04:33:43 PM by Bob Gil » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: