Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 08:58:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hokysmokes & SCREAM'N EAGLES! Well I AIN'T NEVER! really!  (Read 4028 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2008, 10:57:39 AM »

Whoa, first off those of you that know me know I have a sorta heavy right foot! Well let me just say I ain't never, and I mean never been blow-ed off the road like I was yesterday evening coming home empty down I-55 in MO! I was just cruis'n along had the cruise set at 75 and mind'n my own bizzness. I was going by the rest area @ SB mm 160 when I saw a gorgeous dark blue EAGLE pulling out. Well less than f minutes later I looked up and saw it getting LARGER very rapidly in the mirror. Well I just figured that is was someone like me who when they see another bus, they had to get a better look (especially since it was a real bus! a SETRA! lol!). Well I was barely able to get a look at (ahhh let's politely say blue hair) an older gentleman driving, that glanced over but didn't wave back as he went by so fast taking all 7 of my bay doors and the entrance door too! I mean this bus was mov'nnnnn on! Well I ain't one to be blown off like that and take it lightly! So I mashed the gas and took off too, wasn't long b4 my speedo was barried and I had to use the gps to see that I was running 90-96 mph and not even close to keeping up with him! We ran down the road like this for as far as I could see him, (about 30 miles) and he just kept gett'n smaller an smaller. I will say this what little bit of a look I got when he was barely mov'n in the rest area it was a dark blue with a fogged in mural on the drivers side that had an huge eagle soaring over a mtn top (I think), and what I barely caught on the passenger side was a mural between windows with an eagle flying over water (lake/river), and on the rear was "support your rights" over a pair of crossed rifles (X) and "support the NRA!" under them. It had IL tags (private I think), and sounded awesome as he blasted by! I don't know what size but I know it was powered by a 2-stroke from the sound! Well I ain't never in my life been blown off the road by another bus like that b4 (or many other vehicles for that matter! LOL!) Then to make matters worse after chasing him for 30 miles I took my foot off the throttle and let the cruise take over again, and took my exit in Cape Girardeau, MO to cross over into IL and take the 2 lane the rest of the way home. As I was tooling down the 2 lane @ 65-68 with the cruise set. I got my doors blowed off again about 25 miles from home, this time by a white Nissan with no license plate just one of those novelty plates with the dealers name on it! And it was go'n so fast I couldn't tell ya what model Nissan or even what dealer it was from! Man talk about hit below the belt! Twice in 1 day!

Anyone know who's EAGLE hurt my feelings so bad?  Embarrassed  BK   Cry   
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:01:13 PM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Songman

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 11:22:15 AM »

That was me! I wish...
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 11:22:54 AM »

Bryce, don't take it to hard, in my trucking days I had a Ford CL900, otherwise know as a Two Story Falcon that had the VT903 Cummins in it, I normally ran out in the 80 to 90 range once west of Monahans, TX.  Southern Shaker would blow by me on a regualr basis.  I finally accepted as fact of life that as long as I drove the boat motor and he had the 12 cylider...I would get smoked!
Jack Hart
PS...as long as you were on level ground, or going downhill, the truck would run out over a hundred...but start up a hill...it would jump into high range reverse! Grin

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 11:28:43 AM »

Bryce, there are several Eagles out there with the 8v92 from 550 to 600 hp so don't feel bad.I forgot what the guys name is but it is a 01 with the 290 rear gears like Sonnie has We that own Eagles call the ones with 600hp S60, 625hp Cummins,600hp 8v92 and Cats trollers as they are always trolling for Prevost
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 12:11:14 PM by luvrbus » Logged
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 12:06:08 PM »

Bryce, just need to have your speedo checked.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 12:09:21 PM »

Bryce, just need to have your speedo checked.>>>Dan

Right after he replaces the lost bay doors.  Grin
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 12:20:03 PM »

I knew a guy who drove rock n roll tour buses.  He swore he could make 100 mph across the desert at night.  I never really believed him but maybe it was true.  This was an Eagle 05 with just the stock 318 and a stick.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 12:59:37 PM »

I knew a guy who drove rock n roll tour buses.  He swore he could make 100 mph across the desert at night.  I never really believed him but maybe it was true.  This was an Eagle 05 with just the stock 318 and a stick.

Len

Well I'll tell ya one thing this was doin' just that, or more!! I don't know what model Eagle it was, and I don't know what size engine it had or even what trans it had. But I can tell you what little time I heard and saw it, it was SWEEEET! & then Gooonnnnneeeee! Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 01:09:31 PM »

Bryce, you said, "(especially since it was a real bus! a SETRA! lol!). A real bus...such as a Scenicruiser...would not have lost all those body parts! LOL Grin
Jack
Bryce...I just couldn't help it...the devil made me do it...or if I was Cathy Bates in that footbal movie with Adam Sandler...I would say, "It was the DEBIL!

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 01:26:35 PM »

Bryce, you said, "(especially since it was a real bus! a SETRA! lol!). A real bus...such as a Scenicruiser...would not have lost all those body parts! LOL Grin
Jack
Bryce...I just couldn't help it...the devil made me do it...or if I was Cathy Bates in that footbal movie with Adam Sandler...I would say, "It was the DEBIL!

I hear Jack, but by the way they grew back over night! I Looked out there this morn'n and it was just like new! LOL!
and I love the movie "WATERBOY" and anything else Adam Sandler does too! LOL!

Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 01:46:45 PM »

Wow.. Thats just too fast...

Imagine the size of the drag chutes to get it stopped. Wink Wink

Back in 1980 I was headed north on I-95 towards NYC in a rental truck.
I had the speedo locked at 95 mph across north carolina at about 3 am.

I looked in the mirror as saw headlights coming up fast from about 2 miles back. there was a boat load of marker lights so I figured it was a truck.

I blinked and looked again as a black peterbilt flashed past me, I blinked and all I saw were tail lights for another 30 seconds. He had to be going 120 or better and vanished like he was never there.

I have been passed on I-4 north of Orlando by a few Prevosts doing better than 90 over the years. Left lane and balls to the wall.... For a Million $$$$ I guess a ticket is trivial stuff..

Dave...

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 02:09:50 PM »

As always, the accuracy of the speed measurement device, and the degree of embellishment by the story teller must always be taken into account....

But what the hey, can we do it?

Using Mallie's Speed Calculator  http://www.cwis.net/~mallie/page12.html

On the gearing side, with a 1:1 tranny and 495 rev tires,

3.7 diff and 3050 rpm will give you 100 mph
2.9 diff and 2400 rpm will give you 100 mph

Whether an 8V71N could make enough power to scream or pull its way to these heights, others more knowledgeable than I need to offer some conjecture.

Nothing like a rascally old guy to straighten us out, now and then, eh?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 02:42:54 PM »

Whether an 8V71N could make enough power to scream or pull its way to these heights, others more knowledgeable than I need to offer some conjecture.

But what if it has been repowered with a 8V92TA now?  Wink Grin

Let's just hope that leadfoot's driving driving trucks and buses like that don't get sleepy or blow a tire (a distinct possibility at hyper speed) and kill a family in a car running at the speed limit.  My opinion probably won't be popular, but if I were a cop and came across someone driving a truck or bus at those kind of speeds, I would cite them on every violation I could come up with.  And if the vid camera didn't pick it up, I would probably create a few mechanicals to cite as well.  Angry
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 02:48:28 PM »

Yup, high milers must spend some cash on good tires regularly, as well as fuel!

Blowing a bus tire at speed: That's one check box I would prefer to leave blank in this lifetime!

What was the tallest stock differential gear you could get in an Eagle?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
cody

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 02:56:51 PM »

BK, can you imagine how it would have been if he could have gotten it out of second gear?  Not often does a person get a chance to see 2 real buses running hard lol.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: