Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 03:24:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hokysmokes & SCREAM'N EAGLES! Well I AIN'T NEVER! really!  (Read 4014 times)
luvrbus

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 03:02:27 PM »

BW, on the models with a drop box 3.36 (05,07,10 and 15)  is the tallest but on a 01 you can do about anything you like.Some of these guys are putting new gears in the drop box to get taller gears.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 03:08:55 PM by luvrbus » Logged
cody

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 03:17:01 PM »

I'm just glad you didn't step outside to see why your engine had died lol.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 03:26:50 PM »

If he has 11R24.5's at 478rpm, running 3.36 with an Allison B500 with a .64 overdrive ratio, at 2100rpm he'll be turning a sweet 122.5 mph-so it is possible.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 04:03:30 PM »

Hmmm, 122 mph is a LOT of wind to push...

Wonder what power might be required to pull that off?

I know a stock 400 HP S60 B500 in a 45 foot newer coach is capable of topping out with the 4.56 gears, and the regular 22 inch tires but that's to just shy of 100....

To squeeze another 20-25 mph out of it is going to take some serious fuel burning!

And a shorter bus, blunt nose, and all those rivet heads...

Of course, this is a academic discussion, hold off with the safety advisories!

Let's go, who is the power guru with some math?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 05:47:05 PM »

I have been running through the desert at 98 (speed limiter comes on at 99) in my dually and been passed by a dozen loaded trucks that passed me like I had come out of gear. as to what power he may have had remember it is an Eagle so as more of it rusts and falls off he gets lighter and gains speed. its really just power to weight ratio. and yes I own an Eagle that has lost its share of weight over the years so I am allowed to make that comment.
steve
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 06:08:14 PM »

Are you sure it was an Eagle and not an Aerobus?

Dreamscape

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 06:38:31 PM »

I know our Eagle will do 80 or more, just don't have the guts to try. I don't want anyone behind me to loose their vision if the red cloud blocks their vision.  Grin
Songman

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 09:37:53 PM »

Come on, Paul! 80 has to be easy for an Eagle. I could run 75 in my RTS! When I first got it I never thought I would want to go that fast in something so big. But after I got used to it, I could just cruise it down the highway. Don't think I would want to go over 100 in a bus though!
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 10:49:37 PM »

Quote from: buswarrior
As always, the accuracy of the speed measurement device, and the degree of embellishment by the story teller must always be taken into account....

But what the hey, can we do it?

Whether an 8V71N could make enough power to scream or pull its way to these heights, others more knowledgeable than I need to offer some conjecture.

Nothing like a rascally old guy to straighten us out, now and then, eh?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

BW,
Trust me first thing I thought when I got passed like that is "speedo must be off!" But after checking the gps and confirming the fact that yes indeed I was doing the 75 mph that the cruise is limited to by the computer (and that yes the speedo is still 3 mph fast at that point showing 78), and I also can verify that maybe, just maybe, one time I might have actually gone faster one day when I had the bus die on me around the corner from the shop as I was heading out to a charter and lost 30-40 mins. because a fuel filter was sucking air immeadiately after having been serviced. But once under way, and on a desolate hiway an the middle of nowhere I laid into it for all she was worth and she'd jsut barely hit 98 on a slight down grade, but run 95-96 flat out! This is with a 435/470 programed 60 Series (435 on the pedal and 470 on cruise) with a b500 and 3:33 gears with 22.5's! I have absolutely, positively no idea what the ol guy had in his EAGLE, but there was no mistaking that sweet sound of a scream'n detroit 2 stroke blast'n by! I never got a real good look at it as he came and went by so fast, had I known he was plan'n to dust me like that I'd hit the accelerator sooner and maybe at least got a look at it! As I said I thought he was com'n up to see a real bus! LOL!

Also it doesn't bother me as much about being passed like that as the fact that he didn't wave back or even give me a chance to look it over better! But still my pride is hurt, sniff. I don't know how long he kept running like that as I only had the nerve to "chase him" for 30 of the 66 miles I had left before my turn off, and really I knew I had no hope after 10! (unless he just happened to feel sorry for a young pup and let out of it! yeah right! LOL!) I will admit it was also very cool outside like showing 35-38* on my outside thermometer, so he probably wasn't in much danger of running it hot! LOL!

Quote from: cody
BK, can you imagine how it would have been if he could have gotten it out of second gear?  Not often does a person get a chance to see 2 real buses running hard lol.

Yeah I hear ya Cody! LOL! I can say that nobody was even thinking about the left lane as I came by following him! LOL! Ain't no tell'n what they was think'n as we went by!

Are you sure it was an Eagle and not an Aerobus?

Well I got no clue what an Aerobus is, but when I saw him leaving the rest area I did identify it as an EAGLE so yes I'm pretty sure.

One thing I can say is somebody out there has one bad a**, ground pounding EAGLE! besides Sonnie Gray, and yes I'm sure it wasn't Sonnie (at least not in his big ol' awesome kitty CAT powered EAGLE)!

Grin  BK  Grin
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:51:08 PM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 12:23:08 AM »

I gotta say it!......................

It was able to go that fast because more than half of it's steel structure had rusted away and was left on the ground marking his path home.

LOL Grin
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 12:25:20 AM »

seriously it is not hard to beleive, especially if the boosted the HP.

we had a 4107 with a 4 speed that would tool along quite fast 80+

the super heavy MCI A3 I have now had no issues doing 90 on flat ground the once I took it that high...and no problem doing 75-80 up the PA turnpike grades without a hickup
Dreamscape

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 03:49:12 AM »

Songman,

Our Eagle 01 will go faster than 80! I just didn't want to push it!  Grin

I can just imagine a front tire blowout, what a pucker factor that would be. I normally cruise around 70, where allowed of course.

It's the hills that slow me down.  Wink

I love to hear the green monster scream though.

I just smile and wave as the trucks blow by me.

Paul
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 06:21:58 AM »

I guess because of my profession (paramedic/firefighter) and what I saw over the years, I am probably more safety conscious than most. When it comes to speed, my concern has always been "it's not how fast you can go, but how fast can you stop?" 
   Several years ago, right after they resurfaced the road to our house, I decided to see just how fast our bus would go. Sunday morning, not a car in sight, so I opened it up. At 85, it was slowly still increasing. I thought to my self "what if a front tire blows?" and immediately lifted. Later, after installing a tach, I found that our governor is set at 2550. Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 07:28:51 AM »

BK, I wasn't doubting your input, sorry if it sounded that way, the stories of old bus drivers blasting across the desert in their company equipment was what I had in mind..Same as some of those wild stories of scenicruiser top speed runs.

Of course, if the governor got wound way out somehow....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Songman

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »

I was just messin' with ya, Paul. I'm the same way. My RTS would do 75 but I only did it once to see that it would. I normally drove it around 65 and that was out on open highways with no traffic. Of course, there is always that person who pulls out in front of you from nowhere.  Angry
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: