Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 11:22:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not funny.  (Read 4171 times)
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2008, 07:44:18 PM »

Chaz, was this a Real Hound?

If it was ...it was a basset , not a grey.

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2008, 07:46:09 PM »

I just serviced my gearbox and the sightglass was useless. I cleaned the sucker a few times and it was still dark as ^&%$&*.  It looked to me as if you would be almost empty before that window would show half way full? I built a dip stick as a secondary device and make sure that both the window is dark and the chamber is at least half full.

Good luck!
Grant

Huh sorry man, you lost me.....Next!

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »

So, your tellin' me, this thing dosen't even come with a key or a fuel gauge, but it has two water temperature gauges? I will look myself. But I doubt it. Undecided

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2008, 07:53:08 PM »

Teke,

You take this one.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2008, 08:19:54 PM »

just as I thought ...no back temp gauge. (that I can find) Sad

Hold the phone...there did seem to be a copper line from the left door jamb going up behind the anti freeze tank (with the crusty little window) and who knows after that.....it is plugged now, but it looks like you could screw in a temp gauge at one time.  (Probably got rid of it because it was reading too hot or too cold.) Was that it, you think?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 08:34:10 PM by chazwood » Logged

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2008, 09:53:47 PM »

Hold the phone...there did seem to be a copper line from the left door jamb going up behind the anti freeze tank (with the crusty little window) and who knows after that.....it is plugged now, but it looks like you could screw in a temp gauge at one time.  (Probably got rid of it because it was reading too hot or too cold.) Was that it, you think?

Chaz that copper line probably ain't it! It may or may not have had one back there, as it is quite common to find them both ways! However as said it is highly reccomended to put one of each oil & temp back there! (some guys even go as far as to put a temp gauge on both sides so if there is a problem they can tell which side may be at fault!) As for a boost gauge I'll bet the farm you don't & never did have one! Very rare to find one that wasn't installed by a super meticulous owner. As for being slow, just remember it weighs in @ around 25,000 +/- Lbs. And has less horse power than a bone stock IROC Z-28 or Mustang GT from the early to mid eighties! (now days Mustangs & Buses come out with some serious HP!) But I'm not saying that you don't have a dog (pun intended) when it comes to power, there could be a reason for it not having normal getty up an go, or you could be just expecting a little much from it.
Boy I can't emphasize enough how bad you need to spend a weekend at a rally or even just with an experienced busnut! There are so many things someone could help you learn more about your bus with just a few hrs poking around and pointing out things, and many hrs answering your questions while showing you where or how on YOUR bus as no 2 are just alike! I'd suggest you check out Nick's off topic brainstorm (really it is on topic, but they put it in the off topic subject area!) http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=7096.msg68464#msg68464
go to it regularly and see if a busnut might be coming near you. Also post regularly where you will be going and maybe, just maybe you'll either be going near another busnuts home area, or maybe just crossing paths.
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2008, 10:03:58 PM »

OK, Fine I will give you the one on the "dampers", Honestly I have never seen a bus equipped with them and even while shopping for my MC9 didn't see any on any of the NJT buses on the lot of about 100 or so 83's and 87's all with 6V92TA engines.

Didn't see any on three other earlier year models either. 1980, 81 or 82 models.

They may have been standard or optional at some point. So OK on that.

Yes, a Cage Blower does not suck as much horsepower if the shutters are closed.
That is an assumed fact whether you have dampers or shutters.. Say approximately 5 to 15 hp maybe.. who really knows.

TB... Why would I make a bet about that. I don't think so, Mainly because I wasn't
the one that said it or made a comment per se...

The general rule (loose) is 0 to 60 in 5 miles with a stock 6V92TA MUI at the factory 277 hp coach rating. On mine maybe 3 miles to 65 on a good day.
The best mileage I have ever gotten was 7 mpg, 6.5 down to 5.5 is the real world average with a full load and 8k trailer following along behind. I use 5 mpg as the general rule to figure when to stop for fuel or just top off evey 200 miles or so.

Fuel capacity should be in the range of 8 hours at least. I don't know about a lot of others but I have to get up and walk around at least every 3 hours and to drain the reserve tanks. That's why I never worried about a working fuel gauge and won't lose sleep over never getting mine to work.

The only bus I had that got really poor mileage was my RTS and that was with the factory air handler a/c running came out to 3.4 mpg.. 5 without it...Of course the engine was worn out anyway and finally blew up when the blower drive broke.

As for the TURBO effect... It's not really something that you can feel on lazy old detroit 2 strokes. You can hear it at higher rpms on some buses, But usually its just a hidden sound and working part of the engine.

Chaz.. Slow down, You are all over the place and starting to babble randomly.

Somebody please go visit him and help him figure out what he has. I would go but can't afford the 800 mile round trip and 3 days it would take to explain stuff to him.

As for questioning my qualifications. Go ahead... But be forewarned... I get a bad attitude when people start talking out their shaded side.. Charmin to the rescue! Undecided
( or was that altitude? ) I do know (or did) my mechanics, electronics,avionics and many other fields long before I got my own bus(es).. I can and do make mistakes and I am far from perfect.. I started converting vans and old school buses for people before I had a drivers license... Like back in the late 60's
I have been a machinist and worked on military and nasa items. I have engineered data, radio and mechanical systems for several companies. I have driven passenger buses and trucks professionally. All in all, There's not much I haven't done at some point in life. I figure stuff out. I watch TV and sit in complete awe at the antics on Mythbusters and have done a few of the featured jobs on Dirty Jobs too...

Mike Rowe needs to help strip and clean a bus sometime. That's is a really dirty job and it don't wash off very quickly either.

Sorry, I drifted again OT, OH, OHNO.....

Bye...

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2008, 11:28:10 PM »

Mike Rowe did clean the grease pit at the Tribo0ro Coach garage in NYC...at least I think it was tri Boro....could have been one of the other independants before they got gobbled
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2008, 05:56:50 AM »

Chaz,
  On our MC-8, that line has a schrader valve on the end of it and was used to check cooling system presure. The other end on the line is attached the the surge tank (located above the blower grear box).  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2008, 07:35:50 AM »

Sorry Chaz, I put the wrong reply in the post.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 12:43:06 PM by Tenor » Logged

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2008, 07:56:32 AM »

It would not surprise me at all if NJT did a fleet retrofit and removed the dampers from everything.

Engineers on staff.

When you are running that many buses, and keeping proper stats, common failures are identified and remedied, permanently.

Effects your mandate for service provision.

$$$$

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2008, 09:05:38 AM »

Quite possible a fleet retrofit, but equally possible they were specced that way....NJT buses had some odd specs....to the point they had their own specific maint and parts manuals.

this is specifically of issue with the RTS's

chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2008, 10:53:35 AM »

This topic has reached critical mass.....there are so many different discussions going on, within this post, that I can't even tell who is replying to whom anymore Grin.

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »

Wood - If you can't get that hound to at least puff some black smoke when you stomp the pedal - your engine may be governed or you may have throttle problems - may be a good reason your hound is a dog?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2008, 03:18:18 PM »

my hound is a "basset", no doubt.

Doesn't puff big enough for me in the mirror....or my wife following in the van to see. (of course she might be looking for a mosquito fogger Grin)

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: