Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 08:11:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have any experience replacing the windshields on an MCI 102A3?  (Read 1087 times)
TrevorH

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:35:03 PM »

The glass company that I had lined up to replace the windshields on my bus just backed out.  Has anyone ever replaced them by themselves?  If you have paid for it, how much did it cost you?  I have pretty much exhausted locals unless anyone has anyone specific they can recommend me in Tucson, AZ.  The windshields have had large rocks thrown through them so if I have to drive it somewhere it will have to be without the windshields in.  Any help is really appreciated as I have already wasted 3 days on this and am at my wits end. 

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 02:45:43 PM »

yellow pages for charter bus....call ask for shop forman
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 02:47:17 PM »

Tried it, no one runs MCI's here.  And Greyhound doesnt do their own glass, they take them to Dallas, TX supposedly.

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 02:56:20 PM »

Trevor, ask Kim at 520-295-1392 he may know of a place      Goood luck
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 03:00:09 PM »

arrow stage lines run or ran MCI....I am sure someone there knows how to do it.

cost.....as much as they ask if you don;t want to do it yourself.

does your insurance have glass coverage?  if so run it through them and even if the guy has to drive 200 miles...they are paying for it.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 08:36:10 PM »

Trevor,
Call me when you have time! I have a name and contact to pass on too you! He has conections somewhere out there! And if he can't help ya find someone he is very good at doing it himself and can explain how to do it to you!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 09:29:14 PM »

Hey Trev, I have changed plenty of windshields, although not on a 102A3. Mine need changing too. They look just like all the others I have changed. You will need two tools . One is called  a lacing tool the other is a piece of nylon tapered on the end and rounded. the lacing tool can be bought a a glass company probably the nylon can be also. Just make sure it is the right size for the lacing.

When taking the old window out just pry out the lacing at the end. Pull it all out. use the nylon  to pull the gasket away from the glass and work you're way around the window. Have someone assist you to hold the windshield.

When installing the new windshield, set it in the gasket in the bottom of the opening. Have someone hold it there while you use the nylon to work the windshield into the gasket. Once you have it in place you can install the lacing starting in the middle at the bottom. the lacing tool fits in the centre of the gasket with the lacing  going through the tool. As the tool spreads the gasket it installs the lacing. It goes in a lot easier if you use a little soapy water or WD40  try not to stretch the lacing too much as it will shrink in a few months and you will have a gap .Bingo you're done.

now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia
Dreamscape

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 02:58:21 AM »

Another handy tool to help is a dual cup suction lifter. Bought mine at HF for about 6 bucks. It really helps when lifting them out. Just make sure your glass is real clean.
Do not use a screwdriver or other sharp object when breaking the seal around the glass. I used a plastic flat tapered stick that window installers use, works great.

Paul
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 04:35:25 AM »

I just had Luke replace mine in a 5C for under $ 400, glass & install. They did  a great job.
Two keys are patience & slowly, patience & slowly.
You will be able to so same. I would tackle next time, with a helper.
Good Luck

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: