Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 04:14:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: insurance for a converted bus  (Read 2930 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 07:33:56 AM »

I had no problems insuring my bus conversion with my regular policy through Secura.  The agent knows it is a bus conversion, but I'm not sure how it is noted on my policy.  I gave him the manufacturer, year, model, and VIN and it showed up on my policy.  I pay around $700 a year for liability, comp, and collision.  My insurance is expensive even with no accidents or tickets because I have maxed out all limits on my insurance and have umbrella liability.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 07:42:58 AM »

every state must have different rules I started with John Miller before he passed away and I had to have photos and a appraisal.The underwriter stopped writing policy so I got a new carrier Progressive. changed agents went to AON same deal over again and I was placed with Progressive.a friend of mine a AAA agent told me he could save me some money and he did about 400.00 per year so i get another appraisal and the photos.get my new policy back Progressive again.               this 140.00 appraisal fee is getting old to get the same carrier each time
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:51:39 AM by luvrbus » Logged
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 09:08:31 AM »

every state must have different rules I started with John Miller before he passed away and I had to have photos and a appraisal.The underwriter stopped writing policy so I got a new carrier Progressive. changed agents went to AON same deal over again and I was placed with Progressive.a friend of mine a AAA agent told me he could save me some money and he did about 400.00 per year so i get another appraisal and the photos.get my new policy back Progressive again.               this 140.00 appraisal fee is getting old to get the same carrier each time
That would get old. But as long as you save more than $140 per iteration, I guess it is worth it.  But it seems like one appraisal good enough for the one, should be good enough for the next as long as no major damage or wear has been done in between.  Go figure.  The friend is probably cutting you a deal out of his margin.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 02:04:19 PM »

Yeah, Progressive.  $Expensive$, but doable.  They binded my empty shell with no problems with the understanding that I was doing all the work on the bus conversion. Smiley Smiley Smiley
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 02:23:06 PM »

I was only able to get libility until I get my bus finished.  At that point I will be able to go with full coverage.  The company is Farm Bureau.  I have other policies with them already, so that might have helped.

Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 04:37:23 PM »

redneck,

I suppose one could conjure up all kinds of potential problems but since I've been with this company over 50 yrs I'll not lose a lot of sleep over all those problems.

It wasn't too difficult for them to figure out by the year and model that it is a bus.

What I was trying to say all along, maybe not clearly, is that when you call the insurance company don't start out by saying you want to insure a bus.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 05:58:19 PM »

LOL thats what all the people on the gulf coast said right before the adjuster said here is 500.00 thanks for our business and by the way, we are no longer insuring you
gus

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2008, 07:41:13 PM »

Doug,

They must have had State Farm or Allstate. Luckily I have neither.

Either one or both have been thrown out of MS for not paying claims and have lost some huge court cases.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: