Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 07:17:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me with my engine - id this stuff  (Read 2558 times)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 08:25:47 AM »

Hold, on I gotta go get some more shotgun shells.... Wink

Picture #1 - the fuel filters are down there, two of them, as noted by earlier posters.

The oil filter is on the other side, and may not be a spin-on, might be the replaceable cartridge type. If it has a bolt centred in the bottom, it is the cartridge type. Cheaper to buy, messier to deal with...

Picture #2 - this is the infamous shutter and damper control. If it controls anything else, somebody has been fooling around with your coach. Bottom valve is the release and drain, side one is the supply. Close the supply, open the release.

Yes, change that red lense to a clear one, if it works with the light switch on the rear control panel.

Picture #3 - this air connection opportunity serves two purposes. First is that it allows you to drain the first place in your air system that water collects, often ignored or , as in your case, defeated by someone's modification attempts, Those who don't use it, don't worry, the moisture will show up downstream...
Second, it is a great place to fill the bus air system by way of a remote compressor.

Note, this air connection does not always have air pressure present, unless your system has been modified. There should be one way valving at the dryer or at the wet tank to protect the air system in the event of a compressor or compressor line failure emptying the system backwards.
Notably, if the air dryer has purged, this line will be at atmosphere. Jack's advise as to teeing this off, drain on bottom and a choice of male and female connections is EXCELLENT. (Thanx Jack! Why have I been fooling with that double ended cheater for so long...?)

Picture #4 - follow the pipe on the bottom, this drains into the power steering reservoir, seen in the back with the sight glass. As posted, figure out what's already in there.

The ether cup is mounted higher, in the top of that metal elbow of the air intake. Might be there, too much shadow to tell for sure.

Pays yer money, takes yer chances!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 08:32:26 AM »

Walmart has those large, low profile plastic storage containers with wheels my wife likes to buy for storing sweaters, toys and everything else under the sun, under the bed. They make perfect oil pans.... roll them under, roll them out. (just stuff the sweaters back under the bed ....she never wears them and won't look till next year Cool).

oh, and one more thing .....if you replace that red lens on the service light with a clear one you might be able to see a little better. Grin

Whoa...... opps it didn't say what I first thought it did! At first I thought you were saying too stuff the sweaters back in it after using it! I was gonna say and next fall we will be go'n to his funneral & his wife's sentencing hearing both! LOL! Glad to reread that I was wrong, your too much fun to loose this early! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 10:16:41 AM »

Walmart has those large, low profile plastic storage containers with wheels my wife likes to buy for storing sweaters, toys and everything else under the sun, under the bed. They make perfect oil pans.... roll them under, roll them out. (just stuff the sweaters back under the bed ....she never wears them and won't look till next year Cool).

oh, and one more thing .....if you replace that red lens on the service light with a clear one you might be able to see a little better. Grin

Whoa...... opps it didn't say what I first thought it did! At first I thought you were saying too stuff the sweaters back in it after using it! I was gonna say and next fall we will be go'n to his funneral & his wife's sentencing hearing both! LOL! Glad to reread that I was wrong, your too much fun to loose this early! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

Grin

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
skipn

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 07:45:46 AM »

Just a FWIW.

For the tow truck to air up the bus it will require a male hose connector.
 The problem is which one will be required. When the tow truck went to
 air up my bus I had the wrong one for his set-up. The the picture is
 what I set-up and I have different types of male ends.

Hope this helps

Skip
Sojourner

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 08:06:50 AM »

Good picture & suggestion.

However do you have a check valve in between male end to tee? If not...you will have air blowing out of male end while using the female hook up.

Thanks for sharing your suggestion.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
skipn

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 08:34:21 AM »

Jerry,

Thanks I forgot to point that out. There is a small valve on
 the right side of the brass fitting  behind the gauge.
 Hard to see.

Skip
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 08:54:59 AM »

I use the same sort of fittings as Skip, but have a 3/8" ball valve in the line.   That allows draining the lines, and rapidly deflating the air system for service.   
There are 3 common variations of 1/4" male quick disconnect fittings.   I figured if push comes to shove, the tow truck air hose could be threaded into the fitting. 
Also carry enough air hose to reach the steer tires when the hose is attached to the fitting.  The hose has female fittings on both ends.

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 03:12:22 PM »

Up to and including MC-7, the fitting for tow truck air line was in the tool compartment under the driver's seat and this line filled the brake system tanks after the check valves. Do later models not have this?

Both male and female air coupling interchanges are readily available - even at Harbor Freight.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 03:14:45 PM by Stan » Logged
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 09:12:33 PM »

Stan,
My MCI 7 has the schrader valve inlet in the tool bay.  It also has the rear line that are in the pictures in this post.  Mine had a twist valve installed with the male quick connect as the input or output.  That line is labeled originally as a drain.  It also goes to my air dryer.

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 07:31:46 AM »

At least up to '87 MC9s have a tow schrader valve in the tool compartment.  The line has a check valve in it so it cannot be (prevent by design?) used as an air supply.   
I thought it would be cool to have an air source for the front tires..or whatever.  Removed the schrader valve and installed an air hose female quick disconnect...didn't work.  You could air up the bus, but a check valve prevents losing air thru the line.   I decided to leave it alone and reinstalled the schrader valve. 

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
ol713

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 08:42:32 AM »

Hi;
      Looks like you might have a MC8.  Photo #1 -  show's your primary
      and secondary fuel filters.  Photo #2 - is the control valve for your
      shutters that are/were in front of the radiators. Mine also leaked
      and I disconnected it. Photo #3 - Is a disconnect for a shop air hose
      used to air up tires if necessary. Photo #4 is the fill port for your
      power steering reservoir. Also in the photo is the reservoir itself.
      It is the round thing with a sight window in it.  My MC7 has the
      same lay out. Hope this helps.   
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 01:38:16 PM »

Great replies and LOT'S of help!
Thanks guys!

P.S

Yep, MC-8

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: