Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 08:29:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you safely pressure wash an engine?  (Read 3167 times)
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 02:27:32 PM »

Don't wash!!  The points will get all wet and the Detroit will start and run backwards and you will have only 2 gears forward....and....10 in reverse!  Happens all the time. (in my mind's eye) 

Actually, you will want to keep the high pressure stuff away from the starter and alternator...sometimes moisture gets driven into and inside them that may over time hurt.  Best to keep them kinda dry.

As far as the rest of the mill, I thought that Detroit 2-stroke owners were REQUIRED to pressure wash their mighty mills at least weekly as they leak more lube oil than they burn. Very traditional.

Or....get a Crown Super Coach with a Pancake Cummins Big Cam 2 which never leaks a drop of lube oil.  None.  Nada.  Absolutely clean absolutley or even better sometimes.  Right rc??  Smiley Smiley Smiley
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 02:39:53 PM »

as they leak more lube oil than they burn. Very traditional.

It's called rust prevention.   Wink

If the original engineers had built them to be front wheel drive with the engines in front, even Eagles wouldn't rust as they would get a continuous underbody oil treatment.   Grin
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 03:27:09 PM »

HB- believe me when I say that I have seen virtually every make of engine completely oil soaked-including your big cam engine at one time or another.  On the other hand, the first I had that had a 8V-92TA in it never leaked at all.  I had to tilt the cab many a time to prove that my engine was clean and dry.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 04:17:59 PM »

I got a 6v92 and don't leak I don't have that problem. My problem is when on the hi way I always get behind a MCI and it keep my undercarriage oil so it can't rust. So that makes my EAGLE rust free.

Pete & Jean
            FANTASY

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 04:58:09 PM »

Ours don't leak either ! They just mark their spot! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »

Clean away......

The only down side is when it leaks it will aggravate you more!

Our local DD dealer cleans every engine before they work on them, so I am pretty sure you have the DD blessing.

Have fun and wear clothes you don't want back...Like that shirt someone bought you, that you hate... Grin

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
rcbishop

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 05:42:33 PM »

Henry....how the heck do you think I don't have leaks that show up??? Smiley

Too much vino, Hank!!!!  Grin

FWIW

RCB
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 09:02:15 PM »

I liked Paul's story.."I fixed it!"  Better lucky than smart any day, right?
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »

Cummin mills DONT LEAK OIL.  Cummins DON'T LEAK!!!   DONT LEAK!!!  Duh....anyone got any more quarters?  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 02:53:21 PM »

I have not got a DD yet, but I know a thing or two about leaky British gas engines Wink The old saying with the Healey guys is..." If it doesn't leak...it is empty!"
Someone said they got their engine good and warm before cleaning. On my cast iron block, that could be a very BAD thing, with cool water and all that. "Warp factor 2 Mr. Scott" adds awhole new meaning.
A pressure washer will remove paint too if yer not careful...don't ask how I know that! Cry
Dreamscape

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 03:51:38 PM »

GreenHornet,

With my Bus Eyed Sprite that's exactly how we checked the oil. Looked underneath and if no puddles, fill 'er up! Same way when I owned a BSA.

It's been so long ago I fogot, Thanks for the Memories, I guess.... Grin

Paul
Sojourner

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 09:50:20 PM »

Paladin….Not knowing the age of engine wiring harness. Or brand and year of your bus.

And not knowing what psi & gallons per minutes your pressure washer.

Pressure equal speed of water
Gallon per minute equal weight of water to hammering the crud off.

But will say this…if you have 2500psi or greater and 2 gph or greater and do not already have a Roto-Head…you don’t what your missing. Roto is straight stream that rotate in circle. It will about double the cleaning action. Otherwise fan spray doesn’t cut grease as well.
Before going to purchase Roto Nozzle….need to the right one for your washer and get an inline filter installed back of nozzle. Filter protect ceramic nozzle from wearing out.
However need to be careful aiming at old style woven covered wire, any tape-wrapped harness, labels and any thing that is soft to rip open.

About hot or cold engine….it best to wash when engine is very warm to hot…..BUT not on hot exhaust manifold until is cool down to about the same as hot engine’s temperature. Use your IR gun to check for your self. About 200°F exhaust manifold will be at peace to start washing.

After all heavy crud is removed and dried…then spray over well with degreaser clean fluid (straight from bottle no mixing) “Right-Stuff®” or “Grease-Lightning®” or equivalent. Let soak for 15 minutes. Again pressure washes off to squeaky clean. Wear goggle and vinyl glove to protect from harsh chemical.

About alternator and starter….they made for very wet climate. I have done many rebuilds and pressure washes them. Only water problem is been bury in marine boat with water for few days or salt water in a minute.

Better yet after washing is done always run it till it dried.

Caution…makes sure all intake hoses & pipes are connected & sealed so water can’t get in.

FWIW

OH…by the way…turns off the muffler bearing before any washing is being performed.

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 07:52:39 AM »

Well I can tell you this! That after putting a new pump on my Kerosene fired steam cleaner, I was cleaning everything that I could reach. I steam cleaned the engine compartment of flight# 722 (my 45' Setra 60 series), and all was fine. Several days later I took it out on a charter and all seemed fine. Then I got down in Nashville, an had some down time so I shut it off. When I went to restart it, it just went whr,whr,whr,whr,whr,whr,whr,whr super fast like someone pulled the coil wire! So I got out and looked, sure enough I could not find that dang coil wire anywhere! I tried everything from shaking the wiring harness, pushing in on all the plugs/connections even hooked up a string on the harness where I could shake it while trying to start it from the rear start button. Still nothing! So I remembered once b4 it'd acted like this (but shaking the harness fixed it that time), and Setra told me it sounded like I'd lost my 12V connection to the fuel injection side of the ecm. So on a crazy (or frantic) whim, I sprayed either into the air cleaner and hit the button. Vroom! Walla! And it has started 1/2 a dozen times since then no problem! So ya never know, but do be careful around wiring & ecm's! FWIW
Grin  BK  Grin
Almost had 54 stranded teens w/5 adults (not counting me since I'm still a kid! LOL!)Talk about relief! LOL!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2008, 07:30:09 PM »

Speakin' of leaking DD's...I can't verify this, ...(yet).. but I heard that if you took a picture of a Detroit Diesel and hung it over your living room sofa, you would get oil stains on your carpet!
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2008, 07:35:29 PM »

That would explain the puddle of oil under the book shelf with the engine manual on it Grin

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: