Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 07:08:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Blues  (Read 1257 times)
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:00:26 AM »

Is this what they mean by winter blues? I don't have them as my bus keeps them away for me. But it is looking blue. Slow but steady.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
skipn

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:24:15 AM »

That looks so much warmer Smiley

How do you keep your work area so neat and clean

Something else I need to learn!

Skip
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 11:14:06 AM »

Looking good.

That is the way mine looked last year at this time.  It looks like you are cutting your sheets a little large and pressing them in, that is the way I did mine. It makes a nice tight fit and no need for the spray foam. It also holds them in place till you get the ceiling up.

I ended up with 2".  I probably should have done more but I didn't want to loose the head room and don't intend to spend much time an a cold climate.

I saved a lot of money by doing it myself over spray foam but it took a lot of time to cut and fit in each little piece. The walls were the worst.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 05:22:03 PM »

Awesome Tom!  Definitely you are making progress!  Maybe less than a year and you will be able say you put it on the road and put real miles on it!
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 06:28:19 PM »

Skip, Its not that clean you just can't see the floor.

Ed, Yes this is taking longer than I thought it would. I am also glueing the foam to the alumium.

Brian, Less than a year? That puts me about 6 months behind. It will probally take me a year and a half. Still planning on tires this spring so I can move it around to paint. Good to see you are still lurking here.  Tom

Tom Yaegle
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 07:45:43 AM »

Tom- something to consider before going further.  Yes the insulation looks good, but at every point that a metal support is exposed is a point of heat/cold transfer.  You should consider putting another layer of insulation on covering everything.  Or- what I did was to screw 1x2 fur stripping horizontally at 12" spacing.  This brought the level of the wall out and also gave me something to be able to screw the wall and ceiling covering to.  Now I have 2.25" of sprayed in insulation with the walls being 2.6" thick total.  It makes for a very insulated bus that I can cool in 107 degree weather with only two roof tops running (I have three), and makes it much quieter.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
cody

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 07:52:39 AM »

Nice job on that, I remember that part of the conversion really well, on an eagle I found that there are no right angles anywhere on the walls, kind of like a truss, was a real challenge but we went at it slowly and each piece was a press fit, my wife accused me of being somewhat anal when she noticed that I had made sure all the writing on the foam board was the right side up too lol.
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 08:22:19 AM »

Yes the insulation looks good, but at every point that a metal support is exposed is a point of heat/cold transfer.  You should consider putting another layer of insulation on covering everything.  Or- what I did was to screw 1x2 fur stripping horizontally at 12" spacing.  This brought the level of the wall out and also gave me something to be able to screw the wall and ceiling covering to.  Now I have 2.25" of sprayed in insulation with the walls being 2.6" thick total.    Good Luck, TomC

Aye, aye TomC! Good point about any exposed metal.

I 'tried' to fill the cross beams in my roof with expanding foam, with limited success.

Much better done TomC's way.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 09:20:54 AM »

Tom C, Yes good point. I am thinking about do the ceiling at least with another layer. Just not sure how I want to do it.  Thanks Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: