Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 09:29:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water Pressure Regulators  (Read 1365 times)
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2008, 11:33:56 AM »

I've always used those cheap water pressure regulators that screw on a hose with my campers and with the bus.  The few times I didn't use them I had various leaks.  I've also known several people who've had plumbing problems(leaks or disconnected fittings); these people weren't using them.  The big issue I have is that the volume of water suffers tremendously with those regulators.  Is there better pressure regulators that doesn't act like a glorified flow restrictor? I tried my travel trailer with and without a regulator, and the biggest difference I see is that the water comes out fast at first (slight expansion of the flex plumbing and hose?).  After the first few seconds, the pressure drops tremendously.  What are others using for pressure regulators?

David
luvrbus

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 11:41:37 AM »

David, you can buy one from WW Grainger or any plumbing supply co for around 40.00 plumb in your system and forget about it I have had one for 12 years and they are full flow.you can also make it portable if you wish some times this way will save you a hose
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:51:00 AM by luvrbus » Logged
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 11:44:59 AM »

Go to the Watts web site and pick the kind that meets your needs.
http://www.watts.com/pro/_products_sub.asp?catId=64&parCat=84
Dallas

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »

David,

If you take the city water connection off of your travel trailer, you may find that it already has a pressure regulator in it. I've worked on a lot of RV's in the last few years and the majority do have a regulator in the water fill connection.
If you hook up another regulator before the regulator on your TT, it will cut down the volume to nearly nothing.
Most of the leaks are caused in factory RV's by lousy quality control and work habits of the employees, along with the fact that after miles and miles of bad roads and then sitting in the heat and cold of different seasons, the fittings and connections will spring a leak, just like the cold water leaks in the cooling system of you DD.

you can buy a city water connection from Camping world with or without the regulator, and you can also buy a pressure regulator that goes on the hose bib end of the water hose so you protect the hose from pressure.

However, I've been using the same 3 water hoses for about 4 years and none of them leak yet, other than when they need a new rubber seal in the end.

Good luck!

IHTH

Dallas
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 01:32:04 PM »

I agree, those camper type regulators reduce the flow a lot.  Get a 3/4" regulator from a plumbing house.  Some areas (Roanoke, Va comes to mind) have very high water pressure, in excess of 100 lb.  I think it occurs mostly if you are in an area that is at the bottom of a mountain and they are pumping to the top. Ask me how I know this!

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 06:28:51 PM »

David,

I have one, but only put it in line if needed.

I have a pressure gauge on the park input and unless its above 70, I don't bother, I like the extra pressure.

Only used it once in at least a hundred campgrounds.

You just gave me an idea for a thread!

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 08:56:33 AM »

At one of the RV get togethers at the Caverns, I bought an adjustable regulator with a gauge.  Just by looking inside it you could see that is has a much bigger port then the El Cheapos from Camping World (like most of what Camping World sells).  If you want to do a more quality conversion, then look more at marine supply stores.  The parts are more expensive, but won't break nearly as readily as the crap from Camping World.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 08:05:36 AM »

Hi folks, I meant to reply to this awhile back and didn't...here goes.
ALWAYS use a regulator.  Some city water can all of a sudden go from a low PSI to 100 or more in a second.  You don't want that happening without a regulator!
And some places just have extemely high water pressure!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: