Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 24, 2014, 01:26:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Transmission  (Read 2439 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 02:42:42 PM »

Bus Warrior- got it close with the Auto Shift and Auto Select.  Auto Select was Eaton's first attempt at an automated transmission-and that's what you're referring to massive amounts of driver training to get it right since the driver had to work the gas pedal too.
Whereas the Autoshift just uses the clutch to start and stop-is still available now and recommended for in town multiple starts and stops with many backups since it is easier to control the truck with a manual clutch.  Very little driver training, except for clutch use.
Ultrashift is a 2 pedal system and as you said the big fleets are going to them exclusively.  Watch out for the ZF 10 or 12 spd version-works great until you have to fix them ($$$$).  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 04:06:34 PM »

Thanks for all the input.  I think that I would ultimately be happier with the Allison.  For now I will try to get the welding I need down without removing the engine.  I spoke to a shop that says they have the right experience.  From my research today, it looks to me that if I take my time, I will be able to find the MT644 with everything I need at a reasonable price.  If I rush into it, it will turn out to be overly expensive.  I know a couple of years ago there was an ongoing debate about manual vs automatic, and there were many who were zealous advocates of the manual.  There was even somewhat of a macho issue to it.  This has not been the case here.  It is great to get this type of level-headed discourse.  Thanks again.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 05:40:45 PM »

Lin: Just a word of warning. If you have any cracking in the engine support system, you likely have cracks in the rails under the engine cradle where you can't see them without removing the engine. I don't think there is any risk of the engine falling off if you fix the visible cracks but keep it in mind if you decide to change the transmission.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 05:55:21 PM »

Stan,
     I am sure that you are right, but I want to avoid removing the engine until ready to change the tranny.  I also do not want to be driving it much until we fix what we know is bad.  When calling around today about getting a transmission and parts, I got some different info on what was needed and a very expensive parts list.  I feel that there must be a better way to do it if I go more slowly.  If they can do the job right, the welding won't be wasted.

compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 07:18:55 PM »

dont know your budget or what they are worth but there is one on ebay item number 300200937475. says remanned. definetly shop around and take your time and the right parts will turn up at a good price.
steve
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 07:22:03 PM »

Lin, Heres a pic of my bulk head. Not sure you can see the cracks but they are here. This is where the engine rails are welded on. I plated over and made new rails. I was glad to remove and see otherwise it would not have been fixed right. Goodluck.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 08:05:52 PM »

It is apparent that mine has been welded before but they did not plate it.  The mechanic says he could do the same thing but does not think it will last.  He is quite skilled and very thorough , but is working on the ground and can not access things properly.  Therefore he told me to try to get someone with a rack or equivalent to work on it.  I'm supposed to be bring it Monday to a shop that was recommended to me by a local charter bus company.  I am hoping that they have the experience to do it adequately.  If they tell me they can't or offer to just weld over the cracks, I will be back to the pull-the-engine scenario and disparately looking for an Allison again.  Finding the transmission is not the hard part tough.  Caylor quoted me $1000 for the transmission but about $3000 for the rest of the parts.  We are also currently in the midst of moving, so I need to go for the simplest solution.  Once we are situated in our new home I should have the time and space to approach this more methodically.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: