Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 10:05:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much should my bus be slobbering?  (Read 3629 times)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2008, 01:52:53 PM »

Maybe a somewhat relative question but how much should an 8v71 be draining out the tubes and are there variables which would make it drain more or less at times?

It seems like my tubes were leaving a little more than usual the other day. I know that DD's love to leave their marks but I'd like to leave as little behind me as possible. I would be sort of ticked if I were the owner of a place someone stayed and they left puddles behind.

While on this topic, I was thinking of building some vented boxes with some drain valves in them, does anyone have any neat plans based of what they did or am I on my own here?

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
gmbusguy1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 01:58:55 PM »

Walker engineering builds a very high quality airbox drain can. you can find them on the bay every now and then

Since installing ours on our Buffalo the "Holiday inn express" the shop floor is much cleaner

Sleep smart !

Chris
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »

I used 2 12" lengths of 3" PVC pipe (one for each side. A cap glued to each end. Pipes are mounted horizontally on the engine frame rails on ourMC-8. I drilled and tapped a 1/4" hole in 1 cap near the blttem and installed a 1/4 turn valve to drain. I drilled tapped another 1/4" hole in the side of the pipe (this is the top when mounted). A hose barb fitting to connect the air box drain was installed in this hole. I then drilled and tapped a hole for a breather off a hydraulic revevoir tank. Tanks were attached tot he frame rails with large hose clamps (2 each).  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Dallas

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 03:18:49 PM »

Since some of my humor isn't appreciated at times, I'll answer you seriously this time..

The air box drains shouldn't contain any oil. What they do contain is unburnt fuel and carbon. The majority of the slobbering problem is usually from idling too much which doesn't allow the engine to maintain adequate coolant temperature, which in turn causes unburnt fuel to build up in the air boxes.
Detroit diesel 2 stroke engines hate to idle more than any other engine you've ever seen except maybe for the old Continental radial engine in the MK III tank.
Another cause of slobbering can be caused by a poorly tuned engine or weak fuel injectors.
I think I would first look at your idling habits before anything else. Take the bus out for a run of 100 miles or so and make it work hard to get it up to temp and burn out all the crud and corruption.

Good Luck, I hope this helped and that the engine didn't shrink before.

Dallas
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 03:29:32 PM »

I also built some "catch tubes" like Jack described for my 8V71 and it seemed to cut down on the mess left behind although it did not eliminate it completely.

I also found that I had fuel leaks that looked like I had "oil" leaks when I was parked but when fixed also cut down on the mess left when I parked

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
gm4106

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 04:10:27 PM »

This mignt be of interest

GM PD4106-1689 8V71TA  V730
Mount Holly,NC
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 08:34:04 PM »

Yeah, that was helpful. Gives a good foundation, thanks!

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 08:45:35 PM »

Jack, that looks like a good future article for the Bus Conversions Magazine!?HuhHuhHuhHuh
Hope you and Paula are doing GREAT!
Helo from Dianne!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Joebus

1978 MCI Mc8

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »

I spoke to a gentleman a while back that had a 6v92 in his conversion. He had connected the airbox drain tubes to the oil pan........he had removed on of the plugs from side the pan inserted a T and connected both tubes to the T. Claimed he had no problems ........Any thoughts

Joe Beleskey ,Stroud Ont. 50 Miles north of Toronto
1977 MC8, 8V71T, Auto
jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 08:49:31 PM »

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=7538.0

This is another thread running right now, it has a couple of neat phots of an ail box drain.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 08:51:28 PM »

JoeBus, look at Dallas' post above, as he says, it's not just oil, of that matter any oil, it's mostly unburned fuel and other 'stuff'!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 10:39:33 PM »

I think you would do less damage ifyou plumbed it into your freshwater tank. Shocked  Certainly less to the engine Roll Eyes

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 04:56:56 AM »

Jack, that looks like a good future article for the Bus Conversions Magazine!?HuhHuhHuhHuh
Hope you and Paula are doing GREAT!
Helo from Dianne!
Jack
Jack,
   We plan to be in your neck of the woods in mid April.  We will give ya'll a call.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 07:05:11 AM »

I spoke to a gentleman a while back that had a 6v92 in his conversion. He had connected the airbox drain tubes to the oil pan........he had removed on of the plugs from side the pan inserted a T and connected both tubes to the T. Claimed he had no problems ........Any thoughts

Joebus,
Originally Detroit did the same thing, but it wasn't long before they realized what Dallas has pointed out and came up with a drain can similar to the "walker unit" and retrofitted those caught still under warranty, and issued a service bulletin after that to protect themselves. I used to have a copy of the service bulletin, but who knows where it is now! I'd strongly suggest that you don't run them back into the oil pan, and also that you'd point out the potential dangers to anyone you know that is doing this! FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 07:17:15 AM »

Joe, that is for a incline engine only and you have to take the drains out of the block and use the 2 special plates with 2 check valves that bolt in place of the air box covers  ( on the low side of the engine) and they are not made for a standard engine installation. fwiw
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: