Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 04:40:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DirecTV HD...on the road.  (Read 3050 times)
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2008, 02:48:37 PM »

I'm a full timer with no real street address, but I do have a place on the high plains of Colorado where I usually squat, just east of Colorado Springs.

Having been a DirecTV customer since the previous century, I have the Total Choice Plus package, without Colorado Springs local channels, because I can get them, and much more in HD from an OTA antenna.

I do however, have the Distant Network Package, with ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC feeds from both coasts. CW and PBS are available as well for an extra $1.50 each, per month.

I already have two HD flat panel TV's in my coach, and now that DTV has the new birds in the sky, and there are lots of HD available when it comes to their programming, with more coming soon, I'm interested.

A small amount of DTV's HD channels are on the 110* bird which I can get with my KingDome while on the road.

However, if I want the full HD package, I'll need to install a new 5 LNB SlimLine dish at my squatting location in Colorado, and run a cable in the window like I do now with my 3 LNB 101*,110*,119* dish. (I'm parked in a metal building)

Here is my question...
Anyone aware of a product on the market that will allow us to receive the KU and KA satellites while in motion, or while parked away from home, without setting up a Slimline dish?
Janet from DTV DNS department (An RV'er herself) says it's just too hard to align the SlimLine while on the road.

Anyone working on this or have any ideas? I'm gonna email Ali at KingDome and see what he has to say about it.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 03:56:11 PM »

We recently had the 5 LNB DirecTV antenna installed at our place. With an installer that works this area and basically know where to preset the antenna before installing it, he still used a fancy (read $$$) meter to adjust the antenna. He said that because you are receiving signals from several birds at the same time, the alignment is very critical. That said, I seem to recall seeinf an ad for an in motion antenna that is supposed to receive the HD signals, but I can't remember what brand or where I saw the ad.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 06:16:09 PM »

Hi Jay,

I'm in Middelton RI as we speak at KVH headquarters getting my dealer certifacation. I arrived at 5pm and just had dinner with 3 KVH reps.

My first question to them was just what you asked.... They told me that HD can be done with a single LNB in motion unit and they will show me tomorrow in the plant.

They also told me that I can  recieve HD with my A-7 with a minor flash software change.. They will also give that to me tomorrow..

Sorry to keep you and me in suspence but I will have answers for you this time tomorrow!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
TomCat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 07:00:51 PM »

Hi Jay,

I'm in Middelton RI as we speak at KVH headquarters getting my dealer certifacation. I arrived at 5pm and just had dinner with 3 KVH reps.

My first question to them was just what you asked.... They told me that HD can be done with a single LNB in motion unit and they will show me tomorrow in the plant.
They also told me that I can  recieve HD with my A-7 with a minor flash software change.. They will also give that to me tomorrow..

Sorry to keep you and me in suspence but I will have answers for you this time tomorrow!

Nick-

Nick,

Thanks for your input...good timing!

Please verify that we are talking ALL DTV HD channels, from both KU and KA satellites, and not just the 110* satellite.
DTV is presently beaming down from 99*, 101*, 103*, 110*, and 119*, with the majority of the HD progamming on the new 99* and 103* birds.

Thanks,

Jay
87 SaftLiner

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 07:28:16 PM »

Jay,

They said something about only looking at 99 or 103, not both at the same time..?

Tomorrow, tomorrow...Lol
Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 07:33:35 PM »

Inquiring minds want to know!  Keep us posted.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
TomCat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 07:40:56 PM »

Jay,

They said something about only looking at 99 or 103, not both at the same time..?
Nick-

If the roof top unit can see the 99* and 103*, we should be good.
I guess if you tune in a channel that your receiver says it cannot see, you switch to the other HD bird.

Close enough for me.

Thanks Nick.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 07:45:34 PM »

I thought mobile sat systems just toggled between sats depending on the channel you're watching. I just installed mine recently and unlike a permanant dish on the Terra firma with multi lnbs and skews and other technical jargon, the mobile unit moves to the sat needed at the time. Simple software (or not) might be able to refigure a mobile system. You're right, inquiring minds want to know, (my wife). We'll be sitting here on the edge of our seats waiting for more info. Thanks Nick Smiley

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 08:00:59 PM »

I have been working on a customer install and Gary Swaim is installing the new Motosat HD system (http://www.motosat.com/products/tv_HD/index.asp) on the same coach.  From what Gary tells me, it was just released and is selling like hot cakes at around $2300 and change. 

I don't know much about the technology, but I don't think anyone had an in-motion true HD system that catches both bands and all the birds. 

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 02:14:23 PM »

Hi Guy's,

Here is the facts. The KVH R6dx is the unit to recieve in motion HD. The R6 is the new 12" high dome type which is able to handle either Direct TV and Dish 1000 HD systems. Right now, Direct TV's 110 bird is the only one you have to look at giving you about 100 HD channels. If any of you remember about a year ago, Direct TV launched 6 new sats on a russian misstle in the pacific from an abandoned oil platform. Well, it lifted about 8' and fell back to the platform and blew to pieces,
killing 34 engineers along with all 6 birds. Each bird costed 250 million dollars which were not insureable through Lloyds of Londen. A total loss which was passed on to each customer to the tune of 4 dollars a month. Needless to say, that launch would have put Direct TV years ahead of the competition.
 In about 2 months, Dish 1000 HD service will be miles ahead of Direct TV with 4 new birds that will give you 200 HD channels. And KVH is right there with the most easiest equipment to use in the market. The R6 dx is user friendly which puts the end user in control of the software set ups. Meaning, all on screen programming with out the need of a lap top and software. Dish 1000 on the 61 bird will be the highest in the sky and on KU ban. with 200+ HD channels. KU ban has the cleanest signal in the US with very little rain fade. This meand you will be able to see over more trees and buildings with less loss of picture.

More after dinner...
Nick-

TomCat

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 04:00:49 PM »

Thanks again Nick, for a great report.

When I read in your post about DTV losing 6 birds in one fell swoop, my curiosity got the better of me, and I wanted to know more.

From the news articles I can find, DTV only planned two launches in 2007. Those were for birds D10 and D11. (D12 is on the drawing board.)

DTV's D10 bird was not involved in the January 2007 SeaLaunch explosion, but was delayed for months by the damage to the platform.
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/31/sea-launch-explosion-may-delay-directvs-100-hd-channels/

Here is a report from just last month... http://www.tvpredictions.com/dresults021408.htm  about the newest launches planned by DTV.

Thanks again and I look forward to your next installment.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 05:21:16 PM »

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the links. They clear it all up...

By September this year, KVH is slated to release their newest creation that will concour the "5" LNB's [like the stationary dishes] with
one LNB designed with 4 gyros and gps. The new design is up and running here at KVH as proof to us dealers. KVH is an ISO9000 shop
and must proform the proper testing for it's certifacations and patons. The only thing I can tell you is that it all fits under their new style
12" high dome.

Back to the HD set-up for KVH and Direct TV.  Check this pdf out
http://www.kvh.com/inthenews/pdf/RVPro_Feb2008.pdf

Nick-

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 06:18:30 PM »

More good news from KVH

According to Dave Walker, Technical Training Manager at KVH, we can recieve local channels from Direct TV when we travel from city to city even

if your recievers in your coach are on your home account. The recievers need to be dedicated to the coach or they will get "pinged" and damaged.

We will have to fill out the vehicle affadavid form and send it in to Direct TV. Direct TV will tell you that you can only recieve East or West coast programming

on local channels but, the big secret is that you will recieve the locals in the areas that you are in. If not, he says to call him direct and he will assist us in getting

this done correctly. I will be doing this as soon as I get home!  Here is the form

http://www.kvh.com/pdf/DNS_Vehicles_Aff.pdf

Nick-

PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 07:41:19 PM »

Thanks for all the wonderful information Nick. The KVH sounds like it's ahead of its time, or am I just behind the times? Huh PP Now if only they could fit that internet sat inside that 12" dome too Cheesy, Wouldn't life be grand? We wouldn't need any high-priced dino, we'd just sit and veg LOL

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 02:00:47 PM »

Hi Guy's,

I have a correction to make reguarding the R6dx KVH unit. I earlier stated that it only needs to look at the 110 bird to
recieve 100+ channels. The correct statement is that the R6dx switches between the 110 and I beleve the 99 to recieve
the 100+ channels. The R6dx does this automaticly depending on the channel you choose to watch. This is available now!
Sorry for the mess up!
Nick-

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: