Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 10:39:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: let me see if I got this straight.  (Read 5402 times)
chazwood

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2008, 05:25:06 AM »

Greetings.

In short, an inverter allows you to switch back and forth between 24v and 110 or 220v.  Right? 

If that's correct, it would seem to me that all the switching between voltage would occur at the box and nearby inverter and only one wire would still feed each appliance. No?

1992 MCI 102c3
Cummins l10 / Allison auto
Thekempters.com
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 05:36:43 AM »

No actually... Maybe you should ask WIKI ....

An Inverter electronically generates a higher voltage using a lower voltage power source.

A d.c. Voltage is taken and electronically translated to a higher voltage A.C. voltage.

" Direct Current " to " Alternating Current "

A "Converter" Takes a high voltage A.C. source and converts it to a D.C. Voltage.

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:40:11 AM »

So inverters are not used unless you have a bank of house batteries?

1992 MCI 102c3
Thekempters.com
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 05:43:18 AM »

If I understand your question correctly (which is doubtful), you run three wires (hot, neutral and ground) from the breaker panel (very similar to house wiring, but not exactly).  All the switching takes place in the shore/gen transfer switch and internally in the inverter.
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 05:46:57 AM »

part of asking an intelligent question.....is having intelligence.

What I'm wondering is how do you go from watching tv on the road to watching plugged into a pole.

1992 MCI 102c3
Thekempters.com
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 05:49:36 AM »

Chaz,
   Most of us use what is referred to as a ""pass through" inverter. When AC power is available (Shoreline or Generator), the power passes through the inverter. The inverter uses a little of this power to charge the house batteries. If no AC power is coming into the inverter, the inverter draws DC power from the house batteries (12 or 24 volts DC, depending on inverter model) and converts this DC power to AC @ 120 volts. You have to be careful when wiring the AC system because if you feed the inverter AC outpout back into the same circuit as the inverter AC input, you will let all the smoke out of the inverter. And we all know what happens when we let the smoke out.
  The simplest way to wire is to have the shoreline and generator feed a transfer switch. The output from the transfer switch feeds the main AC load center. Individual circuit breakers feed all circuits that are NOT powered by the inverter. In addition 1 circuit breaker feeds the AC input to the inverter. The AC output from the inverter goes to a separate load center. This load center circuit breakers feed all circuits that are powered by the inverter.  This is "my way", I am sure there are other ways to "skin this cat".    
   The other option is a small inverter that is located near an appliance such as a TV that has an outlet built into it. The TV is then either plugged into the inverter or into a "standard" outlet.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 06:03:25 AM »

...........I just let the smoke out of my head. Angry  If the system uses a bank of batteries the gen must be to just keep batteries topped off?  In planning for buried wires for all appliances, is it safe to wire everything to a fuse box like a house, and then invert-convert-extrovert-pervert-red-alert the voltage from there?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 06:15:50 AM by chazwood » Logged

1992 MCI 102c3
Thekempters.com
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 06:08:13 AM »

"And we all know what happens when we let the smoke out."

Jack, that was a classic!  I will use it!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 06:30:34 AM »

Chaz,
 I am sure there are other ways to "skin this cat".    
   The other option is a small inverter that is located near an appliance such as a TV that has an outlet built into it. The TV is then either plugged into the inverter or into a "standard" outlet.  Jack
>
>
 Grin

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 06:43:26 AM »

...........I just let the smoke out of my head. Angry  If the system uses a bank of batteries the gen must be to just keep batteries topped off?  In planning for buried wires for all appliances, is it safe to wire everything to a fuse box like a house, and then invert-convert-extrovert-pervert-red-alert the voltage from there?
The genset is to keep batteries charged and power items that use to much power to run off inverter(s). You cannot run air conditioners off an inverter when parked (bus engine not running).  Well, you can't run them very long! Also make sure you do not feed inverter Out back into Inverter IN AC circuits.  Jack

chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 07:20:06 AM »

So. if you're planning to boon dock for a few days in a hot climate how do you handle round the clock air conditioning requirements? Run a gen full time? seems kinda loud.

1992 MCI 102c3
Thekempters.com
skipn

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 07:43:09 AM »

Chazwood,
   There are several ways it all comes down to buget and personal choices Smiley

1. Run an extension from the generator exhaust to the top of the roof line on the bus. (there are kits for this)
   2. Install solar panels (done right it will cost some money)
   3. If you will be in low humidity consider replacing one ac with a swamp cooler style. (lower power draw)
   4. Have a big ice chest full of ice and keep a ice towel wrapped around your neck.
   5. Just be hot and misirable and ask "Are we having fun yet?"

Just trying to be helpful Smiley
 Skip
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 07:50:24 AM »

So. if you're planning to boon dock for a few days in a hot climate how do you handle round the clock air conditioning requirements? Run a gen full time? seems kinda loud.

If you want air conditioning 24/7, Yes. We have found, even in south Florida, that at night the temps drop into the 70s. We turn off the Generator, open the bedroom windows, and turn on a ceilinf fan over the bed (fan funs off the inverter). comfortable sleeping.
    The other thing is to have some soundproofing around your generator. This can be a factory "quiet box" or build by you. A vertical stack also helps reduce the noise level.  Jack

Stan

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 07:57:31 AM »

is it safe to wire everything to a fuse box like a house, ....?

With one notable exception. You must run separate three wires (off a single 120 volt breaker) for each duplex receptacle. You cannot split the receptacle with a red-white-black (off a dual 240 volt breaker)  as is used on kitchen counters in a house.

Fuse boxes are pretty much obsolete for house type wiring. Use a single phase breaker panel. I have seen comments that the "code" restricts the number of breakers you can have in a RV. That makes no sense to me, to say it is safer to have two receptacles on one breaker than to have each on a separate breaker.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 07:59:23 AM »

I have my bus wired very simply using Square D circuit breaker boxes from Home Depot.  I have three boxes.  First is the main box that has four 50 amp breakers-two for the generator and two for the land line.  I made a plate that slides allowing only two of the breakers to be on at a time to assure not mixing the land line with the generator by mistake.  The second box is the circuits I want running straight off the land line or generator.  This box also has a 30 amp circuit that goes through the inverter to the third box that is powered by the inverter.  The items I have running off the inverter are plugs, rear stereo system (house type), front TV, microwave, toaster oven, bathroom heater-all resistance loads that don't require alot of starting amps-as compared to say an air conditioner (my three roof A/C's are not powered through the inverter).  This has been a very reliable electrical system-although you do have to switch manually between land line and generator service-but then again I don't like the automatic switchers.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: