Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 16, 2014, 09:45:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: let me see if I got this straight.  (Read 5257 times)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2008, 05:19:21 AM »

Hi Chazwood,

I wouldn't say Onan was the best but, I think it is the quietest. I have a onan 12.5 quiet diesel and it's a b++ch to work on.

After being next to numerous coaches with other brands. I'm convinced that my onan is the quietest.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2008, 05:19:40 AM »

I would suggest a water cooled diesel that will usually run at 50-65% of its rated capacity, installed in a noise reduction enclosure.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2008, 05:30:35 AM »

OK.... let me drop the stupid question bomb and get some on you.......why would you guys be running your gensets (still don't know why we call them gensets....it's not a word if spell check refuses to acknowledge it's existence  Angry) next to someone, if you are at a park with poles? You must be talking about when you're next to someone, in a group, in the boonies, with no services? Yes?

1992 MCI 102c3
Cummins l10 / Allison auto
Thekempters.com
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2008, 05:34:09 AM »

OK.... let me drop the stupid question bomb and get some on you.......why would you guys be running your gensets (still don't know why we call them gensets....it's not a word if spell check refuses to acknowledge it's existence  Angry) next to someone, if you are at a park with poles? You must be talking about when you're next to someone, in a group, in the boonies, with no services? Yes?

Yes, that and rallys...
Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2008, 05:45:28 AM »

Many get togethers such as tailgate parties, Nascar races, bus rallies, Bluegrass fetivals, etc. are held where no power poles (shoreline power) are available. This requires the use of gensets. I think GENSET is a shortening of Generator Set which is what they use to be called.   Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2008, 05:50:16 AM »

Does anyone have the new HQD Onan? Comments?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 05:53:13 AM by chazwood » Logged

1992 MCI 102c3
Thekempters.com
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2008, 08:22:26 AM »

Hi Chazwood,

No, But its the next generation with Cummins thinking down the road. If the inverter part of it fits your needs, then

it woul be a great choice for your coach.  Since it is a matched set-up, could be very easy to wire up and install.

Good Luck
Nick-

paulcjhastings

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2008, 11:03:18 AM »

Does anyone have the new HQD Onan? Comments?

After seeing your post, I went to their website and was intrigued enough to call the local dealer. The results will not encourage you, they told me that they are selling these to OEM's only. Sad

I really do like the concept though.

Paul Hastings
1993 Setra 215 w/ Detroit Series 60 & Allison HT748
Belle Plaine, MN
612-987-6021cel
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2008, 08:34:03 AM »

The ability to run silently makes the coach more invisible while you are out and about.

A busnut does not want this kind of "visibility".

The more noise you make, the more likely you get asked to leave prematurely, get ticketed due to public complaint, someone takes offence, does vandalism to you while you are asleep, etc.

As truck stops get quieter with anti-idling laws, a busnut does not want to be the one irritating overworked and tired truckers who are trying to sleep next door.

And what does it take for the stink of your exhaust to pollute whoever is parked alongside?  At many bus rallies, the coaches are parked a patio width apart. Your off side is someone else's patio....Adding exterior pipes in a lot of public places will invite unwanted attention again.

The "undesirables" who bum around in obviously half converted buses are the target of our efforts. We must put a lot of effort into our presentation and behaviour that we are civilized people, not "them".

And, of course, you have to live inside the ringing drum that your coach will be if you don't get it hushed down.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2008, 09:03:16 AM »

The "undesirables" who bum around in obviously half converted buses are the target of our efforts. We must put a lot of effort into our presentation and behaviour that we are civilized people, not "them".

OUCH!

I agree with the rest of your post about generator noise and fumes.  But this line really offends me.  A lot of us use our half converted buses and that is usually encouraged on this forum.  It is part of keeping your enthusiasm for the project.  In fact, we full time in ours.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2008, 09:19:25 AM »

HTR, slow down, I meant the ones that obviously aren't going further than underfunded...

I'm sure we all know the difference between a bus enthusiast and the undesirables that make our gig tough, if they've been someplace before us. We've either heard of or been refused entry ourselves, due to the facility owner's past experience with the occupants of rough half conversions.

We need to be careful to not unwittingly appear to be from some category of folks to which we do not belong, or broach customs in places that we are interlopers.

Making a lot of noise and stink is a good way to be misinterpreted, was the point of my efforts.

My apologies!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2008, 09:44:46 AM »

Thanks for clarifying, BW.  I can see your point now and am no longer personally offended.  I know there are some bad apples out there that cast a bad light on bus conversions through their behavior.  But on the other hand there are also some really great people out in rough looking bus conversions and old S&S's.  Likewise their are some real ______ out there in top end RV's who ought to be banned from leaving their own driveway.

I don't judge books or buses by their cover.  But you are right that some campgrounds have a bad opinion of bus conversions because of a bad experience they have had.  The funny thing is, they have probably had just as many bad experiences with nice looking RV's.  It's just that they deal with a lot more RV's that mellow out that bad experience.  But there aren't enough bus conversions come through to offset their bad experience.
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2008, 02:55:55 PM »

Well, my wife says when I make a lot of noise, it usually stinks.  Tongue So I guess I'm toast.

The inverter part of the system is only necessary if your running a battery bank in conjunction with your gen-set. Right? If you don't plan on batteries why have an inverter?

1992 MCI 102c3
Thekempters.com
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2008, 04:00:47 PM »

Most people hear the word "BUS" and think Big Yellow School Bus and their brains shut down and the denial starts. Whether it be a campground operator or even one of your own friends whi hasn't seen what you are working on or just plain cannot grasp the thought.

No insult here for Crown owners, Sorry but Crowns are a bit differently flavored.

The idea is to keep your profile and visibility to a minimum and try to make what you have as acceptable as possible with your given budget or lack there of.

A noisy generator will surely upset someone somewhere. People who prefer to run straight pipes on their buses are also on the list of people that need some adjustments no matter how good they think it sounds.

Generator stacks or roof top exhaust systems that push the fumes away from living spaces is now becoming the standard requirement in most places. Especially at rallies where you are parked in close and confined spaces.

Stacks however are not perfect and someone is going to be downwind somewhere and complain. But the only thing is at least the fumes will be dissipating and diluting better where there is more airflow.

Two other things worthy of mention are HEAT discharge and mechanical engine noise. The noise issue can be resolved by creative baffles and insulation.

The heat however is harder to work with if you have a limited amount of room to work.
Fresh cool air is needed to cool the engine and electronics. The heat has to have a place to escape that won't be blown to the guy next door and to insure adequate cooling. Remote radiators help but you still have limits.

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2008, 09:01:26 PM »

Here's a good example of the type of bus conversion that gives the hobby a bad name.  Sorry it's a lousy pic, but the you get the idea:

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: