Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 05:31:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wire size from alternator  (Read 829 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2008, 10:02:09 AM »

Although I am not at the point of running an AC off the alternator, I was wondering about the wire size required from the alternator to the battery bank.  I realize that you are running the AC off the battery bank and the alternator is recharging the batts, but since it seems that it would have to be recharging them at the rate of discharge, would it not need a cable capable of carrying the AC load?  Further, I was also curious about whether one could run the AC directly from the alternator to an dedicated inverter without using a battery bank.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:01:46 AM »

Wire size should be rated for maximum output of alternator (1 size bigger would probably be better).
  If you try to run your AC off an inverter fed directly by the alternator, what happens when you slow down or stop at a light. At slower RPM, alternator is not producing as much power.  I would consider the battery bank as a buffer: When alternator is not putting out enough, batteries make up the difference. If alternator is putting out more than required by AC, excess can recharge the batteries.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: