Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
November 19, 2017, 04:36:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radiator shutters revisited  (Read 6890 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 12:25:07 PM »

Ohhhhh!  Roberto!   "Go Fast Airplanes".  All a twitter.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 07:03:13 PM »

My mc9 was a deep south (Miami) bus, that no longer has working shudders (completely missing) or working baffles, (fixed open). On my last two trips in mild weather, the water temp never got over 150 until I put a piece of foam board in front of both radiators.....after covering about 75% of the radiator the water temp went up to 175 and the power increased noticeably. I think I'll try to get the baffles working again. I'd rather have shudders, but don't know where to find some. Anyone have some they don't want?

Thanks.

Chazwood

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 07:34:32 PM »

Hello.

From a practical perspective, it might be best to just think of the shutters/dampers as a system to speed up warm up, and to maintain engine temps under cooler operating conditions.

The degree to which there are hidden power or efficiency gains lurking in the fan system would be relative to the amount of time the shutters/dampers are actually closed while underway.

Unlike trucks and schoolies, with their radiator filled noses, there is little to no ram air effect for our rear/side mounted engine radiators (Unless your name is Hobe... or you have his rad intakes!)
All the air needs have to be drawn in by the fans, we cannot enjoy the free, long "fan-off" times of the front engined crowd.

The shutters/dampers do not stay closed for long, once the coach is in motion, and typically do not close while driving if there is any load on the engine. Those who have removed the large stock heater, and outside air intakes for the heater, will see even less shutter/damper closed time, as that is another source of engine "cooling" gone.

It is interesting to consider all the variables, but any increase in efficiency, small and likely unmeasurable, in this will be due to the motor running at the right temp, not fan-off time.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
gus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 08:12:37 PM »

Fan HP is not an issue on my 671 because half the shroud is missing and even if it weren't the fan just stirs up the air, I don't think there is any serious suction while the shutters are closed.

Also, as already posted, after the engine warms up the shutters open and close pretty often.

So far it hasn't sucked any radiator core out!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 08:18:12 PM »

Haven't researched this at all yet...can you still get the parts to make the shutters work...and can you still get the louvers?  And if so how many first born male children do I have to sell? Grin
I am not sure what I have on the radiator, haven't taken the box with the broken back glass, (Do I hear Taps in the backgound playing) off of the radiator.  All of that is sitting in the rear of the bus on the floor.
Thanks in advance!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 11:37:24 PM »

if someone is interested I have a brand new Shutter assembly...think it is from a GM Transit, won;t work on an MCI, but someone with a GM.....Probably covers 80% on a 4104/4106 radiator
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: