Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 05:34:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flat Screen TV ideas needed  (Read 4815 times)
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« on: June 04, 2006, 07:31:28 PM »

Greetings all,

I am looking to put in a flat screen TV in the front of the bus.  It would be nice if it could fold up when not in use just to keep headroom available.  Tho', I'm not sure that's absolutely necessary.  I would like it to be greater than 17" width. 

The Theatre system we're looking at is :

http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_vr670.html

It can produce surround sound without actually requiring the rear speakers, and comes well recommended.

What are some of the ideas that have worked well?  Especially for mounting the TV, and any fold up apparatus that you have used or designed?  Any Flat Screen TVs that work particularly well ?

Your thoughts and suggestions are deeply appreciated!!   Grin

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Busnut83

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 08:10:37 PM »

I dont like to spend much?Huh I have a 19" wal-mart on a $29. bracket and it works well,,,hanging in a njt mc-9 from the sign door '''''!!!!!!
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 08:16:35 PM »

I have toyed with the same idea.  While I would like to do this - I have decided to mount it on the side of the bus below the windows across from the couch.  My mother has always said, "it only has so many times to work".  I like simple...

Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
Dave N.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 09:13:36 PM »

I assume that if you're going to use a home theater setup with it, that you're going to either use a dvd or satellite setup with the system. What I plan on doing is getting a few monitors from Dell, normally used for computers.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=4009&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&nf=146~0~391,1253~0~6036&~ck=anav&navla=1253~0~6036

For example, the 2007FP listed there, It's a 20.1 inch screen, costs $415.00, and besides the normal VGA input, it has DVI-D and SVideo connections so it should be easy as pie to connect to your setup. Since you're using a home theater sound system, you wouldn't be using the speakers from a normal television anyways. You're also pretty much assured to be able to run HD on it, since even the latest stuff out there will only run 1080p, and the max resolution is 1600x1200.

If you compare that to some of the LCD flat panel televisions out there, I think it's probably 2/3 the price. Now, I wouldn't recommend something like this to anyone who will be trying to run an analog signal (Over the air television), or not be interested in an external speaker setup of some kind.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 06:19:58 AM »

Phil, sometime in the not too distant past there were some discussions on the BNO board I believe about using the various new screen technologies. One of the things brought up was the temperature extremes in the coach, from freezing in the winter to boiling in the summer. Apparently some of the technologies do not like these extremes in temperatures. Perhaps some remembers where this was or can add some more information.
Richard

Greetings all,

I am looking to put in a flat screen TV in the front of the bus.  It would be nice if it could fold up when not in use just to keep headroom available.  Tho', I'm not sure that's absolutely necessary.  I would like it to be greater than 17" width. 

The Theatre system we're looking at is :

http://http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_vr670.html

It can produce surround sound without actually requiring the rear speakers, and comes well recommended.

What are some of the ideas that have worked well?  Especially for mounting the TV, and any fold up apparatus that you have used or designed?  Any Flat Screen TVs that work particularly well ?

Your thoughts and suggestions are deeply appreciated!!   Grin

Kind Regards, Phil

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 08:03:53 AM »

I am a little slow to jump on the new bandwagon, especially the new flat panel TV's.  As already mentioned is the weather temp extremes that can be possible (unless you live in Los Angeles-no sub freezing weather).  Just as an example, I have a 12v 9" color TV in my bedroom that is more than big enough for viewing, and was taken out of my truck when I switched to a combo TV/VCR in the truck.  That 9" TV was in my truck bouncing for several hundred thousand miles, now in my bus with zero problems.  How can you top that?  Granted some people need TV's the size of a Jumbotron, but simplicity (my theory) is always best in the end.

As to the stereo surround, I've heard these systems and they use a clever way of running the stereo signal in and out of phase to create the effect of surround sound.  It works well enough, I'd say use it.  But, you can't duplicate the accuracy of 5.1 surround with dedicated speakers for the direction control.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 09:10:59 AM »

One thing I had been thinking of doing, and will for sure after reading the thoughts so far on this thread, is to remove the TV from the bus when it is not heated in the winter months.  I already do that for a smaller TV in the bus. 

In northern IL, we have had temps well below 0.  So, the TV won't stay permanently, and that would have to be part of the mounting system.  e.g., not impossible to remove the TV 1 x p/year before winter.

Any other thoughts on fold-up mounting, or whether a fold up mount should be used at all? 

Thanks to all who have responded so far!!! I really appreciate your insights.   Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

If it would help, I could post a  picture of the area where the TV would be mounted.

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 09:37:07 AM »

Hi Phil ...I got a 42" plasma /w surround sound in the front solon, mount over the front window, I have a 8" roof raise so it just fits over the window.

I live it the interior of BC so we can get some very cold temps ans I have never had any problem with it surviving the winter. I guess if the tv was very cool and you turned it on it may cause problems with the scrceen but the rest of the tv has no moving parts so....
As mentioned they create alot of heat (both plasma and LCD) but you got to love that big screen in the bus.

On the foldup mounting ...plasma's can't be store in the horiz position, can cause premature failure I do think this a applies to LCD but you should check. Marathon and other converters with foldup plasma's have had failures.
Ron
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 10:18:39 AM »

I'd be curious as to the reilability issues that some have brought up.  Where I work, many of our vehicles have notebook computers mounted inside.  These stay in the cars in the winter and in the summer sun.  We've had no reliablility issues since starting with them back in '97.  Also, in-vehicle navigation systems are all LCD screens.  If one wants to make sure, get an extended warranty on what you use and give it a shot.  I plan on using a LCD tv/monitor when I get to that point.  I'll also have surround sound, but for news, weather, etc I almost prefer internal speakers (assuming they are decent). 
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 11:04:30 AM »

hi phil
  i just got a flat screen from sam club, it's a AKAI dvd player and cd. it cost about $500 . it's a 20'' stereo we put it in the bus in february. and had no problem with the cold weather here in chicago also where you live. the manual says nothing about cold weather, hot, or altitude. i had to get a bracket from tiger direct on line they have a bigger selection. i had to get one to fill the hole where the old tv was. it's a swing out type thats let's the tv go out and down, or left and right, tilts  up or down. i like the swing of it. i can swing it out about 1 foot and down and out to the almost the center of the bus for better viewing. and i now have storage behind the tv for dvd 's and cd's or whatever.
i hope this helps somewhat.
         pete

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 05:43:05 PM »

I just mounted a 17" LCD on an articulated mount.  Look at this album and click on bedroom....

www.newindsports.com/bus
coachconverter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 07:32:01 PM »

So has anyone seen a mount for a LCD/Flat, that will lift the monitor up flush against the ceiling, for sale?  I've seen them in the highest end coaches and wonder what they cost.

Thanks
Todd
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 07:36:15 PM »

I put a 27 inch Polaroid LCD TV in the front of my MCI5C. It folds up into the ceiling when not in use.  I designed and built my own mounting/lifting and houseing system. I would guess that it took about 160 hours! Very simple, but very complicated with anglels curves ect.  I've had LCD TV's in NY in winter and summer in FL so far with no problems.
                                                                                             Work/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 10:57:59 AM »

Phil,

Make sure you get an off-air HD antenna.

I do testing on these free in the air signals and there are probably 20+ TV channels that I can pick up in HD just with a simple antenna.

There will be more and more everyyear.

Make sure you get a TV with the built in tuner.

Unless your out in the total boonies or have a certain cable channel you can't live without, you won't have to have a dish for a decent picture.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Skykingrob

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 07:40:06 PM »

Hi Phil

Here is a link that has a ton of info, http://www.mountsandmore.com.

Rob
91 LeMirageXL
Missouri
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: