Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 01:09:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Genset.  (Read 6398 times)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2008, 08:00:03 PM »

I have my generator mounted in the front bay (driver side) with a remote radiator.  The intake for the radiator is from the front bulkhead and the exhaust is out of the floor.

The intake for the generator box is from the middle bay via a squirrel cage fan and the exhaust is out the floor. 

With this installation, I did not have to modify any exterior panels.

The arrangement for the remote radiator works very well. 

There is enough air "leakage" in the bays that I get pretty good flow in the generator box.  I have one of my sensors in the box and it stays at about 140* or less except on the hottest days when parked.  The middle bay gets pretty warm in the middle of summer and the generator box has gotten as high as 160*.  That is not bad, but I open the bay door a bit when we are parked on a hot day and that keeps the temperature at 140* most of the time.

I have some pictures of the remote radiator installation on my project pages listed in my signature.

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2008, 11:57:35 PM »

For best generator performance the gen compartment should stay under 120 degrees.  Good luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2008, 06:36:33 AM »

We remoted our radiator to the rear of the former spare tire compartment. Since the radiator is the main heat source removing it from the generater compartment greatly reduced the amount of cooling necessary for the compartment. We added three 240 CFM bilge blowers to the generator compartment, with ducts added to get the hotter air at the top of the compartment. We monitor the air temp in the compartment with a thermistor located near the top of the compartment. The temps in our compartment usually run 10-15 degrees above the outside air temp. This a photo of the compartment air intake grilles and the exhaust fans.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: