Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 11:15:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone using for leveling their coach????  (Read 3395 times)
scanzel

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2008, 11:52:52 AM »

It seems I never hear anyone talking about leveling systems or how anyone is leveling their coach out when on uneven ground. What are YOU doing to level your Coach?  Grin Grin Grin Huh

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 12:02:44 PM »

It is extreamly easy to convert an MCI to an air leveling system, just ask how.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 12:50:16 PM »

We have an '83 MC9, how e-z & what is your method?  I'm all ears!   Grin  Cheesy

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 12:57:47 PM »

Pete Papas has an air system that is proven..

BBS board name: RTS/Daytona

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559324954HVWVXC

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 12:59:50 PM »

I am doing nothing other than trying to park favorably.  So far its been working pretty well, but there are times when I just can't find a level spot.  Its pretty awkward to walk when the bus is listing one side or the other.  Front to back the wheel base is long enough its not usually an issue.

I'm very intrigued by Sean's linear motors.  On air bag systems there is a rod attached to the axle carraige and to the leveling valve on the frame. He replaced this rod with a linear motor so he can adjust the height control valves from his console. Or go back to normal riding height.  Raise them all up to go over bumps, let them down to park close to the ground.  Very cool installation.

The other way is Daytona Pete on this board sells a nice kit you can use to put additional valves between the levelihng valve and the bags to allow you to disengage the factory leveling valve and add or discharge air from the bag to get to your desired height.  His valves use 1/4" line, smaller than the normal stock Prevost air lines, so you'd need an adaptor to use it.  I also have the fast fill valves that are fast enough filling / discharging to make a differnce going around a corner and I'm not sure if that additional restriction will make a difference in filling speed.  Pete offers two types, one with gauges, one without.

Of all the discussions I've heard over the years, those are the only ones I've thought were worth doing.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 01:03:46 PM »

You can also use the hydraulic system like HWH or Big Foot but with a big price tag
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 02:20:50 PM »

I set up my own leveling valves using the air bags of the coach.  If I'm going to sit for a few days then I'll level the bus with leveling blocks first.  But for over night, just use the manual switches with electric solenoids for leveling.  It takes about a minute to level-and your done!  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 02:23:34 PM »

A LEVEL??? >>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 02:42:51 PM »

I have the HW system.

HARD WOOD
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 03:01:30 PM »

Dirt.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 04:36:23 PM »

The 4104's air bags.  A separate valve and gauge for each corner.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 05:21:23 PM »

Pete RTS/Daytona has 2 styles available

http://rides.webshots.com/album/515176915tTPqur

and

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559324954HVWVXC

I should know - I'm Pete RTS/Daytona  386 672-0571 or  hawk_ii_mail at Yahoo.com

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 05:23:17 PM »

We carry those little blocks you can get at walmart. I think they are called lynx levelers.
I use 2x8s for the first inch and a half, if I need more I use the levelers.
They are in increments of 1 inch.
The 2xs are pretty handy just back in close to where you'll be and use a level on the bus to determine about where you need to be.
I have been pretty much of a minimalist when it comes to modifying the oem parts of the bus, so that is why I do it "the hard way". Cheesy
Devin

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 05:55:36 PM »

Level? What's that?

I usually get parked in holes anyway..

Here I use a pile of gravel and drive up on it until level.

I consider "level" as any place the shower will drain and the satellite dome will lock on.

Some day I will do it right, Just no budget to throw away just to be level...

Dave....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 06:07:27 PM »

Using the airbags for leveling is easy...as long as they are in good condition. 
I have the ability to isolate the drive axle airbags, and can dump air,  overinflate either side, or return control to the factory leveling valves.  Vintage MCIs use the drive axle airbags only for side-to-side leveling.
On most MCIs, the front airbags are T'eed together and don't level side-to-side.  They set the front ride height.  Like a tripod if you will.  I don't use a front leveling valve.  Just set a IR regulator at 60 lbs and that sets the correct ride height and maintains it while riding.   I cannot tell any difference in height between a full or empty fuel tank.   
The downside to air bag leveling is that the range of leveling from front to rear isn't all that great.  I don't completely dump the air from the front airbags.  Don't want the bus being twisted with the front on the stops. 
I use a really cheap system, ball valves to control the airbags.  I replaced the drive and steer airbags so they'll hold air now...for a while. 
Been planning on buying 3 of Pete's air control gizmos for several years now...I'll do it..soon.
Controlling the leveling from the drivers seat would be great.   I located the rear ball valves in the rear bay.  Front control is on the dash. 
You may find that you can use air leveling, even with a couple of leaks, if you install a small air compressor to maintain the air pressure.  The airbags would have to be isolated from the bus air system in any event. 
Keep in mind that the front-to-rear leveling is about 8"?  Side to side is good enough. 
As has been said, choosing a relatively flat campsite is a good beginning. 
Running up onto ramps works fine too...as long as the bus holds air, or leaks down equally at both ends.
All brand bus airbags can be used for leveling...may need four controls instead of 3? 
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: