Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 08:22:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st One to Hit $4.00 a gallon  (Read 6374 times)
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 07:28:45 AM »

Tom, I have one, it gives me one cent off, unless I buy a lot of overpriced crap in the store.  I will check on one that gives a bigger discount.
Thanks
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 11:55:32 AM »

The chevron over at olive dr and the 99 freeway has been at 4.05/9 for the last week. Hold on to your hat I think it will go to $5.00 a gallon buy the end of summer.

Don
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 01:25:17 PM »

$4.19 here in NY for the past week.
luvrbus

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 03:03:36 PM »

I can live with the price of fuel for my bus but it's the other things in my life that is going to hurt like food ,electric power and transportation.The farmers are paying 3 times the amount to grow our food , the truckers are paying a high price for fuel to get it to us and you can bet the electric co's are going to get their share when the times comes and this money is going to come from the citizens.I also look for 5 bucks a gal in June or July 
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 04:45:15 PM »

Me thinks that was a trick question... $4.00 a gallon ( Even?? )

You can get $3.99/9 or $4.00/9 but $4.00 even...

Nobody in recent times doesnt't charge that 9/10 of a cent.

But if you round up a $3.99/9 according to your bank it's $4.00

Now the sad part, Flying J has changed their discount plan, You have to spend
a bunch of money in their stores to get the discount on fuel.

I just got that info in the S.E. BusNuts news letter.

That's OK, I don't use Flying J anyway. I go where trucks go.
I always though the F-J fuel was a little higher priced than regular truck stops...Huh

Dave..... Too Poor to admit dee-feet....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 05:05:15 PM »

Jack, the Flying J card generally gives you the cash price for credit card plus 1 cent per gallon discount.  I have found that it is not uniform among all Flying Js.

Tom, again, I have found that the card does not guarantee a no limit fill.  I always just bite the bullet and go into the desk and give them my RV card and my credit card.  Scares the heck out of me, but I have had no problem so far after many fill-ups over the past two years.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 05:12:54 PM »

Save fuel, my fellow busnuts!

Do not run the engine unless it is to move.

Pre-fill your air with an electric compressor.

Shut it off when you stop.

Accelerate with partial throttle, not to the floor.

Choose a more fuel efficient cruise speed.

Drive with a style that religiously avoids using the brakes.

Coast it in from a long way back.

Buy cheaper refreshments to fuel the bus?.... ok, that's going a bit too far!

DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 06:54:13 PM »

This situation has been making it very difficult to "sell" the idea of getting a bus anytime soon. I have been toying around and looking here and there but the raw costs are now getting to the point where I really have to ask myself if I can afford to get into this hobby. My wifey is questioning my sanity at this point with the cost of fuel and everthing else associated with the purchase.Factoring in all the costs of a trip in the family van, even with it's gas hotels and food, I think it is tipping the scales for me at least right now. I think I will have a wait and see attitude.
I was looking at an older Prevost in Alabama that is pretty much ready to use, but set up as a tour bus. I figured I would have 5 years to fix it up for our use, that would coinside with my retirement. I am thinking now about putting that cash into the bank and saving up for another 5 years and maybe just getting something ready to roll at that time.
Guess I will be a wanna-be til something else comes along or things change.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 07:02:28 PM »

Busnuts still rule the cost/benefit equation.

The gas for the family jalopy is way up too, the cost of the restaurant meals will be up because transportation costs are up, hotels only go up...

The bus and the grocery store costs the same as the hotel and restaurant bills. The travel, you get for free.

We've done it both ways, (as have many others on here) and the bus is cheaper, and I don't pay $11.00 for a bowl of Cheerios....

Keep it relative, fuel is only one part of the equation, and divided amongst all the family members, how are you going to have that kind of fun and experience for that little any other way?

Buy the right coach, and have some fun!!!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Dreamscape

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 08:02:47 PM »

I agree with BW!

The good times you will miss and can't get back, ever. I wish I had bought ours years ago. The price of fuel won't stop me from enjoying the rest of our lives together traveling and seeing bus nut friends. By that time diesel will be much more, but the experiences will be worth it. I will be spending our children's inheritance, they can have what's left, if any.  Wink

You only live on this earth once, might as well have fun while your here.

Paul
luvrbus

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 09:06:02 PM »

we use our bus about 10,000 miles per year and this year it will cost us from 6 to 7 grand.We are out on the road for about 150 days if you stay in a decent motel for 70 to 125 dollars a night and eat out every day that will cost you about 20 grand and I like my own bed so I will just suck it up and pay for the fuel. a few of us have made plans to see the East coast this year and no way are we going to cancel this trip to long in the planning     fwiw
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 09:13:47 PM by luvrbus » Logged
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2008, 12:40:10 PM »

Looking into a fishing trip on the West coast of Vancouver Island this summer with my sons and maybe my wife. It will take 2 days to get there. Once there they want $150.00 a night for 3 nights to stay there. That's $450.00. Plus the room on the way there and back. Eating out 3 times a day is pricey as well. The bus burns maybe 30 to 50% more fuel than the pickup. The bus on the ferry is only about $60.00 more than the pickup each way. The bus is a lot more fun.

No brainer: we will take the bus.

No matter which way you travel, it is expensive. With 2 people or more on the bus, you will find it the least expensive.

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008, 02:23:31 PM »

The bus is a lot more fun.

No brainer: we will take the bus.

No matter which way you travel, it is expensive. With 2 people or more on the bus, you will find it the least expensive.

Before I bought my first Rv we did the math on the costs vs flying/driving car, rental cars, hotels, meals...etc

Unless your flying from Miami to Seatlle and staying two days, Lostagain has it right on the mark!

The Bus is always the deal!

Multiply that times 4 like us, and theres NO place like the coach...... Grin

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »

Thanks for giving me some ammo!
Maybe the wifey will read these posts Grin
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2008, 08:02:01 AM »

Thanks for giving me some ammo!
Maybe the wifey will read these posts Grin

More ammo! With these ridiculous fuel prices (that we'll soon be used too, and only wish fuel was still that cheap!), bus prices are dropping as fast (well almost) as the price of fuel is going up! FWIW! Grin  BK  Grin

PS; renting a car here in Dallas today to drive down to Houston to look at SETRA that we may buy!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: