Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 10:02:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good news...Bad news.  (Read 6193 times)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 09:30:42 AM »

oh geez...

I hope you haven't fried your brake linings...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 09:59:27 AM »

Damn, Chaz... that's even worse that my being stuck in sand!   Wink  Like I was told long ago "It's the little things that'll get ya'."
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 10:23:42 AM »

come on! fried my brake linings?!!!  I only drove 500 miles.  Angry (guess that might do it.)

I think it was mostly just when taking off. Sometimes it felt zippy....sometimes it felt a little sluggish. Like I say, it was just rubbing enough to barely keep the pedal from returning all the way back up every time. I will check the linings. Just my luck. Tongue
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 08:03:44 PM by chazwood » Logged

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 10:30:55 AM »

While looking at the linings for wear, also inspect the drums for possible heat damage (i.e. cracks).
Dallas

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 10:40:23 AM »

And this, gentlemen, is the very best reason in the whole wide wonderful world to add a dual reading air pressure gauge. one to read pressure from the rear brakes and one to read pressure from the front brakes.

Dallas
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 01:01:12 PM »

I have one question about the brakes staying on due to the pedal being stuck.  Wouldn't the dash light for the brakes still come on?  Every time I put the brakes on slow down or stop that light illuminates. 

David
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 01:48:56 PM »

Hey David that was a great lead in to a question that I have. Grin  If I make a light brake application my dash light or brake lights do not light. If I make a little harder application they do light. I would like them to come on sooner. Does this mean that the switch that senses the air to provide 12 volts to the lights is bad? Do they loose sensitivity over time?
Thanks,
Tom Hamrick

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 02:05:33 PM »

I have one question about the brakes staying on due to the pedal being stuck.  Wouldn't the dash light for the brakes still come on?  Every time I put the brakes on slow down or stop that light illuminates. 

David

funny thing about that little light......mine has stayed on so long, it has fried the plastic lens in the dash. I thought that green light was suppose to stay on to tell you that you HAD brakes. (Obviously, the po thought the same thing.) Now that I fixed it, the light only lights when I hit the brakes. Roll Eyes

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 02:28:41 PM »

funny thing about that little light......mine has stayed on so long, it has fried the plastic lens in the dash. I thought that green light was suppose to stay on to tell you that you HAD brakes. (Obviously, the po thought the same thing.) Now that I fixed it, the light only lights when I hit the brakes. Roll Eyes

That little factoid makes it even more imperitive to check the linings and drums for excessive wear/heat damage.
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 02:34:45 PM »

That little factoid makes it even more imperitive to check the linings and drums for excessive wear/heat damage.
quite true..... I'm off to buy my king kong lug wrench and do some investigating.

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 04:02:57 PM »

My brake pedal return spring was a little weak and my brakes were staying slightly applied for a while until I lubricated the mechanism and replaced the spring.
83 MC9 ...

Now as to the brake pressure switch.. I recall it is a 5-psi switch, I had to replace mine because the old one kept failing on and then off.

Also as it turns out pressure washing the inside of the bus and up under the spare tire bay too agressively is just asking for things electrical and mechanical to start acting badly or oddly....

Not that anyone has noticed yet, But Chaz is dangerous and has way too much energy at times. Them must be some pretty big blinders he is wearing...
( all in FUN Chaz.. Don't let it bother you, Many of us may be a bit jealous of your energy...) Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 04:20:28 PM »

Chaz,
And anyone else who wants to know! The cheapest place by far I have found to get those brake light pressure switches, is @ C & J Bus Repair in Bloomington, MN. Tell JD that Busted Knuckle and the rest of the Busnuts from the MAK board (especially Gumpy & the Brians, and whoever else is up there local) told ya to call! I'm not at my desk right now (im in a motel in Nashville next to the Prevost dealership!), so I can't give ya the #. But it's easy to get from Google! FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 04:32:22 PM »

author=DrDave-Reloaded link=topic=7656.msg75118#msg75118 date=1205449377]

Not that anyone has noticed yet, But Chaz is dangerous and has way too much energy at times. Them must be some pretty big blinders he is wearing...
( all in FUN Chaz.. Don't let it bother you, Many of us may be a bit jealous of your energy...) Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
[/quote]

you must be talking with my wife Grin

But that's the weird thing about this whole fiasco....the knucklehead that put in the pedal assembly didn't even bother to make sure it fit.....then drove around with the brake light burning long enough to melt a hole in the lens so you couldn't even read what it said..... and never wondered what the deal was. I didn't even know what that light said until I got my manual. And all it took was a few strokes with a file and the whole thing works fine. (assuming I still have shoes and drums)

My wife will arrive soon with my King Kong impact wrench and we will git to the bottom of this, don't ya know. Yes sirree, by crackie.[quote
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 04:37:16 PM by chazwood » Logged

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »

Chaz,
And anyone else who wants to know! The cheapest place by far I have found to get those brake light pressure switches, is @ C & J Bus Repair in Bloomington, MN. Tell JD that Busted Knuckle and the rest of the Busnuts from the MAK board (especially Gumpy & the Brians, and whoever else is up there local) told ya to call! I'm not at my desk right now (im in a motel in Nashville next to the Prevost dealership!), so I can't give ya the #. But it's easy to get from Google! FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Sweet. Grin

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 06:49:13 PM »

Now for a little update. My wife just came back with my King Kong 1 in. industrial  impact wrench.

Tip: For those of you who might be in the need... Harbor freight is selling one right now, for $79. (regularly $149) However, if you go...bring a friend. (To help you carry it) Better yet, bring two friends. (One to help you carry it, and one to carry the socket set.)

While you're there, pick up an air hose. (Look for one about the size of a garden hose....or as they say in the deep south, a "hose pipe") .....That puny little air hose you've been using all your life, to run every air tool you've ever owned.... ain't near big enough.

Next, go take a good look at your compressor....if it don't have pistons the size of minnow buckets, your probably wasting your time.

Remember to read the list of cautions and make sure you go to the dentist to check your fillings....cuz if any are loose....there commin' out.

Also, if there are any females in the area, try to look like you're not straining just to hold it up, (kinda ruins the whole image thing ) because, in their eyes.... you're a "Manly Man". Cool

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: