Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 24, 2014, 10:48:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wire  (Read 1398 times)
chazwood

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2008, 10:27:01 AM »

I'm ready to bury my wires in the ceiling before I foam......(for lights and roof top air ) do you guys drill holes in the roof framing to accept the wires?

1992 MCI 102c3
Cummins l10 / Allison auto
Thekempters.com
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:41:28 AM »

I used a unibit to make holes and used armored cable with stranded wire in steel sheath.

Hope this helps

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 11:51:09 AM »

Yeah, that helps......just wanted the "nod" before I started cutting holes in the roof frame.

Didn't want to hear a bunch of OH NO!!!!you did what to your whats?Huh You can't do that !!!!...Now your bus will inadvertently and spontaneously fold in half when you turn into a side wind....or some such. Grin

So I'm off to drill....speak now..... or forever hold em'.....

1992 MCI 102c3
Thekempters.com
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 11:55:06 AM »

I did the exact same thing as Melbo for 110, but I also used rubber grommets for the 12V wiring for the vent fans.  Really make sure that the electrical in the walls/ceiling jives with your floor plan.  I had already put in the vents, AC's and spent many weeks refining the bathroom layout - that we changed the day before I started building!  Fortunately, our changes still worked with what had already been placed!  Good Luck!

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 01:01:26 PM »

Above all

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 01:05:40 PM »

I've only installed one roof air at this point.  I didn't have to drill any holes in the framing except for the frame that I made for the A/C.  My wires run along the windows in the area where the original reading light and speaker wires ran.  I plan on this area to be accessible when the bus in finished, too.  I know for a fact that I'll end up wanting to wire something that I never though of.  Also, I used armored cable for the A/C. 

David
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 01:32:26 PM »

Above all

Nice Grin, except when it's your first time down the road...... you don't know what's ahead Huh

I want basement air, so, I think I will just bury a little wire in the ceiling for some lights scattered here and there....plus my two outside running lights.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 01:37:06 PM by chazwood » Logged

1992 MCI 102c3
Thekempters.com
Dreamscape

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 04:32:35 PM »

Chazwood,

Bury some extra wire in your runs, you never know when you might want to add something. Label them as spares so you know which end goes to which end.

Paul
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 04:39:21 PM »

Chazwood,

Bury some extra wire in your runs, you never know when you might want to add something. Label them as spares so you know which end goes to which end.

Paul

Will do. Thanks.

1992 MCI 102c3
Thekempters.com
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 04:59:41 PM »

Running the wire conduits for the 3 roof tops, 2 fantastic vents, and the over halogen lights, I ran the wiring down the side of the bus at the point where the wall and ceiling meets, then ran the wire for that particular item sideways to it so I didn't need to cut any holes into the cross members.  It always makes me nervous to cut any holes or cut the cross members of the ceiling.  The 3 roof airs, 2 Fantastic fans, TV antenna and wiring for ceiling lights are the only wiring buried.  All other wiring runs down the lower left side of the wall with my wall upholstery covering it, that is actually loose so you can lift it up and access the wiring at any time.  Also, all 120vac is in plastic conduits so if the wiring for the 3 A/C's fail, new wiring can be pulled through (but I doubt that will ever happen).  I spent alot of time engineering the placement of all my wiring and plumbing with the idea that one day it might have to be serviced also.  Hence all my wiring and plumbing is accessable and can be easily taken apart if necessary-including the fresh water and holding tanks.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 06:15:29 PM »

I hear ya Tom, but on a mc-9 you can't do that. It don't matter where you run...Along the wall, or way up high in ceiling.... you still have to drill to get through. Angry

1992 MCI 102c3
Thekempters.com
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 07:30:08 PM »

Hey Chazwood, just a quick question. Are you keeping a photo journal of your exploits and if so, do you have a blog where we can tune in and get our daily laugh? Grin Grin

chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 05:48:05 AM »

Angry Grin

1992 MCI 102c3
Thekempters.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: