Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 04:50:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: raising the roof  (Read 5321 times)
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 10:42:39 PM »

Well I got the balls to cut the caps.  had some sun today so I  fitted them.  it was it painstaking  getting the rear cap fiberglass from between the roof and support. still have to remove them and goop them for the final install . trying to decide whether to go with led lights or not. Don't know if they make them in the 24 volt  version. didn't have time to post the pics. tomorrows job.  Going to bed now.  Gerry

now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia
Songman

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 06:44:37 AM »

Looks like a great job and I wish I were there to help! Raising the roof is my most favorite fun part of it all!!

Cheers

You can come to Bakersfield in the next couple of months and help us all you want! They say doing an Eagle is a breeze but it still scares the crap out of me!

trying to decide whether to go with led lights or not. Don't know if they make them in the 24 volt  version.

I know that MCI offers them but probably expensive. That probably means that they are available elsewhere cheaper.
http://www.mcicoach.com/Parts-Service-Support/partsNewsLights.htm
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 06:48:18 AM by Songman » Logged
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 09:42:53 PM »

so we got quite a bit done this week. 

cut out the rear support from the old cap.

finally got the balls to cut the rear cap.  i cut a little bit longer than needed just to be safe.  here is us trying to get it to fit right.  i tell you the molds suck cause it didn't fit anywhere near properly without major a working

trimming the cap to the right size

i warned my son to be careful but he wasn't.  a warning to everyone else: when using the sealant that comes with the caps be careful, it is really messy and doesn't come off anything.

riveting the cap down for good now.  what a tedious job

the bottom half of riveting.

best picture of the cap installed (wifey got sidetracked making lunch so no pictures of it finished today)

that's all for now, hopefully it stays nice out so that the front cap can be installed before the weekend is over.

Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 10:10:26 PM »

Awesome Job and great pictures!  Tell us you're keeping the flame job! Wink

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 05:07:40 AM »

In the picture 'bottom half of riveting' are the two curved pieces of square tubing beside your son's head all that hold up the rear of the bus?
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 08:55:35 AM »

I almost ripped you for putting that photo up of your boy holding the bucking bar and not wearing ear muffs.

Then I took another look, and can see the little orange dots in his ear.  Sure glad to see that.

Be safe!

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
captain ron

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 09:15:11 AM »

Very nice documentation of your roof raise. Did that bus come from around Chattanooga?
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 09:17:31 AM »

You noticed that Gumpy, two more cross braces to go in and then framing material, you don't think thats enough?. there isn't that much to support.

hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 09:22:07 AM »

Charlie, the bus came from Alberta. Close to Calgary. It was originally a hound and then as a charter for the Drumheuller Dragons junoir "A" hockey team .

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 02:02:56 PM »

You noticed that Gumpy, two more cross braces to go in and then framing material, you don't think thats enough?. there isn't that much to support.

I couldn't believe even a kid could stand the racket of holding a bucking bar inside the bus!!

I think what Stan is getting at is that if you follow the framing on the side of the engine bay doors, you'll see that it at one time went
up into the roof framing to help support the somewhat cantilevered engine cradle. There was a continuous line from the bottom of the cradle up into the two side roof beams. This helped distribute the engine weight up into the roof structure, and then down into the sides of the coach.

You might want to consider putting these pieces back in.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 02:18:59 PM »

The longitudinal stringers in the roof are under tension carrying the weight of the front and rear overhangs of the bus. If you look at the entrance door area and steps, you will see that there is nothing holding up that area except for the roof. In MCIs, the small tubing above the door is frequently cracked above the door post.

I think the rear end framing should connect into the stringers to keep them under tension. Because of the over design in a bus, you can get away with a lot of chopping but it is better to follow the original concept when it is easy to do.
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »

got a little update of the weeks work.

the side panels that go in to fill the empty space

the bracing for the rear cap and rear of the bus.

bracing for front cap and front of bus.  (still need to fiberglass insome more support for the flimsy cap

roof bracing and hvac ducting in place

and these speak for themselves.  in place and glued and bolted down, just the riveting left.

Stan

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 08:40:31 AM »

I pointed out in a previous post that the rear of the bus is held up by connecting the lower framework tothe roof stringers. The front is held up in a similar fashion by the windshield posts. Especially on the passenger side, where there is a big hole in the side of the bus, you need substantial metal cantilevered over the door post to hold up the right windshield post. You may already have this, but your picture didn't show that corner.
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 09:04:01 AM »

THanks Stan, after you're last post you'll notice I fnished the rear with more supports, I also did the front over the door as you suggested. Thanks for the valuable info.

Regards Gerry

lloyd

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 09:23:34 AM »

I see you live on the west coast of Canada, did you have your caps brought up from Portland or did you go down and get them yourself? I live in Kamloops and am looking at doing a raise next summer. It sure is nice being able to look at some pictures to see what is all involved, thanks.
Lloyd
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: