Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 23, 2014, 12:23:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, Should i give up the dream of a Bus..  (Read 4512 times)
superpickle

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2008, 03:39:53 PM »

Jeeeeez, if these Morons in Washington are going to let the Life blodd of this country get over $5.00 a gallon.. How the hell are we going to Afford FOOD, let alone Fuel... 

and, is that going to Effect the price of Vasoline  Undecided

Bend over Amireeeka.. Your getting  a Huge Dry **** !!!!!!

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 03:46:35 PM »

YUP!,

The mighty Dollar is is almost not worth the paper it's printed on.... Hope they don't make us start using the Euro!

If you work for someone, you will have to ask for a raise. Im my case, I have now added a $4 fuel surcharge to every service call along with all the equipment

increases I have recieved in the past few months forced me to raise prices again... As a busisness owner, I'm have to pass the savings onto the customer!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 06:37:33 PM »

And now our morons in DC want to tack on .40 cents per gallon to fuel so that they can repair the bridges.  This is actually being kicked around in La-La land.  They got game!   Wink
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 08:35:34 PM »

And now our morons in DC want to tack on .40 cents per gallon to fuel so that they can repair the bridges.  This is actually being kicked around in La-La land.  They got game!   Wink
JR

Too bad voters don't vote with vengeance enough.  The perfect way to get a control on taxation would be to not reelect any politician that votes for ANY tax or fee increase.  Shocked Cry One round of that and they would figure it out real quick.  Oh, you mean NO new taxes, now I get it.  Cool
4106-123

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 03:41:41 AM »

everybody should get on the fair tax band wagon. it gets rid of the irs and gives the control back to the people. http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 04:23:53 AM »

I'm sure it's no consolation, but I heard an interesting piece on the radio the other day that explained that the current increases in the price of fuel are effectively 'paper' increases caused by the current weakness of the dollar, as opposed to real changes in the supply & demand for oil.

Because of all the naughty American banks that have been lending money out irresponsibly there is this worldwide so called 'credit crunch', which means that the inter-bank lending market has slowed right down. To try to get it going again the Fed keeps reducing interest rates (another 1% drop tomorrow apparently), which makes the holding dollars a very poor investment (low interest rates mean low income). Accordingly no-one want dollars, so the dollar exchange rate becomes very weak against other currencies. For historical reasons many commodities such as oil are priced in dollars, so you now need more dollars to buy the same amount of oil, so the 'price' of oil goes up on paper. If oil were prices in UK Pounds, Euros, Yen or any other currency then fuel would actually be getting cheaper now.

Because the world oil market uses dollars the effect is of course worldwide, although it is perhaps hurting more in the US because fuel has historically been so cheap - even at $5.00 a gallon fuel in America would be 40% cheaper than current British prices for example.

Obviously economics is a very complex thing and the exchange rate issue is only one factor, but it does sound like at least some of your blame should be directed at the actions of greedy / badly managed / poorly regulated American banks over the last few years.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
4106-123

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 05:54:38 AM »

wait untill the oil producing countrys dump the dollar and go to euros. also china is bypassing the newyork exchange and cutting deal staight with the oil producing countrys so in effect there cutting us out of the loop!
ceieio
MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740

1973 MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 07:54:56 AM »

Superpickle - things will stabilize once again.  The only thing we don't know is how many miles of bad economic road we have to pass over before that happens.  The high price of fuel may drive a favorable buying market for you if you do not yet own a bus.

For us, we have looked at the trips we are planning and sometimes the nature of the trip pencils out OK for the bus and sometimes it doesn't.  If we are running a long distance from home but not staying long, the car and a hotel may be the right answer for us (or air travel); other trips where there are more nights spent away from home, the bus still comes out as a good choice.

If you have more time to spend at a location, the bus really starts to pay off.

We all know that this is not a dress rehearsal, this is our shot at life, so if travel around the country is what you want to experience, stick with it and find a way to reshape things so that it works / makes sense for you.

Good luck and pleasant journeys!

Craig - MC7 Oregon

Craig MC7 - Oregon USA
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 08:40:17 AM »

Another big issue with the run up in oil prices is investors putting money into oil since they aren't making any money in the stock market.  The price will keep going up as long as investors are willing to keep putting money into oil.

Supply and demand is no longer driving the oil market for the moment.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 08:48:59 AM »

Another big issue with the run up in oil prices is investors putting money into oil since they aren't making any money in the stock market.  The price will keep going up as long as investors are willing to keep putting money into oil.

Supply and demand is no longer driving the oil market for the moment.

That's the simplest and most logical explanation of what's going on that I have seen.  If that's it, the Chinese have it right, buy direct.
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 09:05:37 AM »

wait untill the oil producing countrys dump the dollar and go to euros. also china is bypassing the newyork exchange and cutting deal staight with the oil producing countrys so in effect there cutting us out of the loop!

I think they alreay are making that move. I read another story on the relationship between oil and gold. It seems the cost for a barrel of oil, if bought in ounces of gold, hasn't changed since 1945! They have not changed a penny..It is the dollar that is worth less.
http://www.kitco.com/ind/Turk/turk_mar142008.html
zimtok

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 09:11:56 AM »

The fuel prices are affecting everything...

The owner of the restaurant/bar for one of our regular summer gigs was talking about cutting the amount he can pay for live entertainment.
At the same time we (the band) are needing to raise our prices to help cover the higher fuel costs.

We settled on a price he could live with and only booked a few Sundays but we cut the band down to just Ed on acoustic with the occasional musician sitting in with him.

I'm just glad warmer weather is on its way so I can ride my motorcyle to my day job more often.

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 09:17:13 AM »

The high price of fuel may drive a favorable buying market for you if you do not yet own a bus.

That's a very nice point, and a good way of looking positively at the situation. Now is also probably a very good time to buy a house, or for someone like me to buy an American vehicle and import it to the UK. I wish I could afford to do either!

By all accounts the Chinese have effectively taken over the running of some cash-poor but oil-rich African states - but remember that China is fundamentally in an extremely poor strategic position in terms of natural resources - apart from coal and cheap labour they have practically nothing of their own, and have to import almost all their energy and raw materials from abroad - which actually means they are in a very weak long-term position. India and Russia will make the economic running over the next 30 years - India because they have a large workforce that is extremely well educated compared to China and even some western countries, and Russia because they have limitless supplies of energy and materials

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 10:28:07 AM »

I wonder what would happen to the price of oil, or anything else for that matter, if the entire world lived as we do in America.  I wonder if mother earth could even sustain that kind of consumption for very long.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 11:35:54 AM »

I wonder what would happen to the price of oil, or anything else for that matter, if the entire world lived as we do in America.  I wonder if mother earth could even sustain that kind of consumption for very long.

Len
No, it definitely would not.  The U.S. has only 4.5% of the Earth's population.  If the other 95.5% lived as we do, it would be a disaster.  But the other side of that question is, what should we do about it, reduce ourselves to a third world lifestyle?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: