Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 01:15:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to remove paint overspray from windshield?  (Read 5216 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »

A gentleman I hired to work on my bus used spray paint inside the bus.  He got overspray on the inside of the windshield.

Do I have to worry about wrecking the glass if I use a scraper to remove the paint?  I know windshields are not normal glass.  I don't want to wreck my new windshields that just cost me $2500 to install.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
gmbusguy1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 07:11:21 PM »

we do vinyl graphics and always use a new clean single edge razor blade to remove vinyl, the adhesive and paint on glass

Chris
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 07:13:22 PM »

I have always used a NEW very sharp razor blade on glass including windshields and had no problems

I would be careful on the curved parts but the flat part should be no problem

HTH

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
ea187

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 07:21:41 PM »

a razor blade should work or you can get stuff like acrysol it's made by kent and that is it's main job
4104GA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »

Grin
I have used MEK and laquer thinner with good results as long as it does not drip on the painted surface.
Razor blades will not harm your windshields and are cheaper.

Enjoy your ride
Sojourner

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 07:34:37 PM »

Brake fluid will take paint off if let it be wet or soak for a day or so. Depend how old paint been on such as few months. Acetone will dissolve most paint as well.

Brake fluid will not hurt most plastic.

After paint removed....soap & water to wash off brake fluid. It water soluble.

If you use good razor blade....make sure the surface is washed clean to be free of dust & dirt before razor. To avoid scratches.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
ceieio
MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740

1973 MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 10:25:50 PM »

Go to the hardware store or home center and buy a can of "Goof Off".  It is made to remove paints and adhesives (and more) from where they don't belong.  It should do just fine on your window.

Craig - MC7 Oregon

Craig MC7 - Oregon USA
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 10:44:19 PM »

Non grit go-jo will work. Learned that one from a painter.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 11:32:22 PM »

A razor blade will leave scratch marks. BTDT  Use anything liquid. I had a lot on the outside windows and used MEK.  acetone also works. Thinner also works if the paint isn't very old.

Mine is acrylic enamel with a hardener in it and thinner wouldn't touch it after a few weeks.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 07:06:06 AM »

Easy Off oven cleaner works well too! Spray it on let sit for about 10 mins and wipe off!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 12:12:22 PM »

The razor blade should work, but you can also buy a clay bar at paint/detal stores which is used for removing overspray from paint, so should work on glass too.

Ray D
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 05:51:29 PM »

In college I worked for a painter and my first job was to clean windows.  I have used a razor blade BUT, I sprayed Windex to lubricate and ease removal of the paint.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 08:42:24 AM »

last little note: if there is any kind of tint film on the inside glass acetone may dissolve it (I know gas does as I have splattered tint on the inside of one of my van door window from filling up on a windy day with the  door open up wind of the pump) Moslty learning from mistakes here, the good news is I have made alot of mistakes.

Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 08:52:25 AM »

Isn't that the way we all learn???

The more mistakes we make the smarter we get

IF we don't make too big a mistake we will survive

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 01:56:55 PM »

I use 50 grit sandpaper.

No wait....that's for something else.

Never mind.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:01:21 PM by chazwood » Logged

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 05:19:29 PM »

I'll have to try some of the chemical methods.  I just don't want to wreck the windshield.

Brian Elfert

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 09:39:57 PM »

Brian,

The razor IN A HOLDER, not held in your fingers, is the easiest and least messy.  The Windex spray idea was really good.  Use a new blade and try it on an a small out of the way space of the windshield.  I have done that soooooo many times and never did I have any scratches I could see.  I do wear glasses though.

Clay bar, sold at auto paint stores, is MAGICAL.  No kidding.  Not cheap but if you have a really nice car you can use it on that also as a prelim or after wax process.

Easy Off.....my favorite product!  No wait thats KY....ops, almost.  It will remove new paint really well but it is LYE so protect your hands and eyes.  Old paint needs a warm environment to activate the lye to attack it.

New paint will come off with acetone, laq thinner, mek, gasoline""""""""hand cleaner or GOOP OFF.  Watch your dash.

The tint is in the windshield glass on any I have seen.  You can add tint as a layer or they have spray paint for that purpose but the factory glass is done that way.  Try a small patch to put your mind at rest.

About the "painter".  Where did you bury the body?

HTH,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: