Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 05:00:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engraved Plates  (Read 1490 times)
Bob Belter

Eagle 01 //Cummins M-11 Roadranger OD RTO1110

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2006, 08:01:09 PM »

Ahoy, Busguys,

For those of you who need engraved plates to identify switches and other things, I found a good scource over in Salinas CA.  I had a 6" x 12" plate done in black plastic with a white substrate.  Price was reasonable at ~~ $36.00.  I did the art work in AutoCad, but they can handle a variety of different formats.  If they do the art work, I expect it would be more $$$.

Apex Signs and Graphics
Phone  831 757 7377
nicole@apexsigns.net

Enjoy/s/Bob

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 04:13:38 AM »

Can you post a photo of it?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 05:06:28 AM »

I saw a new type of vending machine the other day that engraves dog tags on the spot for about $5. They also have some other designs of small plates they can engrave on, which you can choose. I didn't look at it too close, but your post piqued my interest and now I'm wondering if there's anything in there that can be used for switches. Might be kind of expensive in the long run, though, if you have a lot to label.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Ace

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 05:13:18 AM »

Most any if not all trophy shops can do the plastic engraving. I have seen plaques done with the engraved faceplate that would be much larger than what we would ever need so I know it's possible. Also they have multiple colors to choose from!

Ace
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 05:58:37 AM »

I saw some samples several years ago at a boat show. The plastic used to make these had a translucent base plastic in red, green, blue, yellow, or clear. Top layer was opaque in different colors or wood grains. The top layer was removed when the lettering was cut in. The panel was then backlit after installation, giving a real nice nighttime look. I think the vendor was Ward Marine Eletronics (or Electric) in ft. Lauderdale, Fl.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 06:30:55 AM »

Jack, I think it is Ward's Marine in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

When I was in this business I had a similar engraving machine and the nice thing about it was that I could reverse engrave. The engraving was on the back side of the plastic. Reversed, of course, so that from the smooth side it read correctly.

The nice thing about this is that we could, for example, spray the back side of the plastic black. After the paint dried, we would then engrave it. We would then, for example, spray the engraving white.  We now had a black panel with white lettering. We could also make some of the lettering white, and some Red or any other color. We could do anything the customer wanted, as long as we could put in Auto Cad, which gave us an almost unlimited variety or selection. A boat outline at the top of the panel was fairly common.

The front was smooth and was easily cleaned without any dirt catchers in the front. I suspect it would be relatively easy to back light this with LEDs, which were not available when I was in the business.
Richard 

I saw some samples several years ago at a boat show. The plastic used to make these had a translucent base plastic in red, green, blue, yellow, or clear. Top layer was opaque in different colors or wood grains. The top layer was removed when the lettering was cut in. The panel was then backlit after installation, giving a real nice nighttime look. I think the vendor was Ward Marine Eletronics (or Electric) in ft. Lauderdale, Fl.  Jack

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: