Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 04:06:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well I have it part way home  (Read 1047 times)
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2008, 07:31:41 PM »

I towed the 1972 stick and staple travel trailer from beside the house to Northern Arkansas last Sunday.  Visited the wife's parents and just got back home Friday night late.

We drove over and put all the parts I have been gathering up on the bus and made a few things up and got it back to my parents home about 2/3's the way home.

I was not able to get the lights working on the rear it was getting late so i wired two lights on the Rear of the coach and took two starter buttons and wired one to each of them.  Then on the way home the wife set behind me and when I turned or stopped I would call out to her and she would push both for brake lights and when turning she would push the one on that side several times while i was turning.

I have a little to do here beside the house before i can bring it here but i hope to get it home soon.  I was a little surprised how well it went the Good
LORD was looking out for us.

I think that the engine is not reving up as much as it should.  It seams to be winding up to about 2300 rpms and may be the reason it does not have much power or speed.  It would run 55-60 if you were able to get a long enough streach before the next hill.  then when you went down the hill on the other side it would go 60 or so.

Every body talked about the 6V53 being a screamer I am sure they were not talking about mine or it is just not reving up where it could.  I could not hear it from the drivers seat when going down the road. 

O well I well hopfully get it home in a week or so but until then I have my work cut out for me getting the yard ready for it.

Any body have any experience with the Koubota diesel generators?  I still have not gotten this one to start, it will turn over but does not seam to be turning over fast enough to start.  I do see the tell tell smoke that tells me that it is getting fuel.  Any body have any ideas?

I can tell that this is going to be an experience.  Thanks for the help you all have given.  I would hove not gotten as far with out it.

Bob

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 08:24:16 PM »

Hi Bob,

Almost....  You will get there!

Sounds like that kobota will start with some minor maintence. Maybe there is not enough fuel or you need a hotter battery.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Sojourner

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 11:56:07 PM »

Light colored smoke (which mean you are getting some fuel) while cranking is an indication of too slow cranking to raise the combustion temp to fire with a good condition engine.

Connect volt meter at starter + post, it should be no less than 9.6v for 12v (18v for 24v) system while cranking. It less than 9.6v then get load test to measure your starter draw and battery state of charge as well compare voltage drop difference between battery's + post and starter post. It should never be more than 1/2 volts. Do the same drop test on ground circuit for poor or weak wire or connections.

Bottom line that no piston engine will run without the three combine of compression, fuel and ignition. Other word any one of three is out….it will not run.

If cranking speed up to par as per condition of battery, wiring, connection and starter.
Then check the compression via diesel mechanic.

Finally if all above is good. Check the injectors for spray pattern and adjustment.

Always do the simple test first then the next.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 08:59:47 AM »

Make sure the glow plugs are working.  Easy to tell-hold the glow plugs on for 20 second, then carefully touch the glow plugs to see if each are warm (they look a bit like spark plugs with a metal strap connecting them with the wire at the end).  Except for very warm days over 80 degrees, the engine will not start without the aide of the glow plugs.  Replacing the glow plugs are about as easy as replacing spark plugs-just make sure you have a torque wrench to tighten them to the manufactures tightness-don't guess.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 10:02:02 AM »

I guess I was not looking close enough I don't remember seeing the glow plugs.  I will have to look closer when I go down there. 

I would like to be able to run the genset to charge the battires since the alternator was burn't up in the fire.

I am so use to the 4Cly cummins in my suburban I for got about glow plugs.  I did not think that Kubota used them.  I remember that they were on my IH engine in my ford and them made a lot of difference.

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: