Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 11:48:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "If you were to do it over again, what would you do differently ?"  (Read 3639 times)
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 06:20:57 AM »

I would have filled the diesel tank last fall when fuel prices were much lower  Grin
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 12:27:14 PM by WEC4104 » Logged

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 06:49:49 AM »

I would build in a explosive destruct button for the late night in the rain malfunctions.  John
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 09:14:57 AM »

I would do as many newbies are now doing. (Research, Research, Research) and then when I found a bus I liked have it inspected by a experienced busnut with a similar bus with full knowledge of what to look for.  (Such as Fred Hobe, Sonnie Gray, Jack Conrad, Florida Pete, Florida Cliff ) or any one of the regular posters on this bb'd with a bus similar to one I had fallen in love with. 

The internet is the greatest tool to have available to research and request help from and I am so, so darn sorry I did not realize that over 6 years ago.  I am still trudging along on my personal conversion and with my experiences I am learning from I hope to prevent as many other newbies from making any errors possible such as I made.  I will complete my project, but not sure thanks to the guberment how far I will be able to afford to trave or how long I will get to enjoy the fruits of my labor. 

I think I am having a bad day here, but my ever growing knowledge of our hobby grows still with each day and I am thank full for meeting the group of busnuts I have.  Look upward as someone used to always say, look for tomorrow and learn from today.  Help Others when ever possible.  Helping others is a reward that is remembered after you are gone, enjoy today and those that have made your conversion passion easier at times and something many will never appreciate if they never tried. 

Thanks for a great thread Hobe.  You are absolutely one of the best to me.

Gary 

Gary
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 10:30:14 AM »

Thanks for a great thread Hobe.  You are absolutely one of the best to me.
Gary 

Gary,
    I agree this is a great thread, but it was started by Hobie, not Hobe.  Jack
PS: We left Fred Hobe's yesterday after a nice visit with him & Carolyn.  With a slight modification, we got the brakes operating on that bus.  JUack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 10:52:50 AM »

Gary

Just think about all the work you wont have to do after you get it on the road. LOL

TomC. You would get better millage if you would have let me short port the Liners and retard the cams and you would have better hill climbing abilities and you would run about 5 deg's cooler. Please put a full width flap across the back just behind the wheels, that will also help it run cooler going and coming from Vegas this  summer.

The only changes i would make is to do this 10 years earlier.

Don
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 11:07:36 AM »

Hi Don,
Thinking of getting done is what is keeping me going and I assure you I will look back on this journey many, many times. 
===========================================================
Jack,
Thanks for clarifying that Hobie / Hobe misunderstanding, I am sure Hobie is as as good a man as Hobe. 

We look forward to your arrival and the SC Rally in a matter of days.

I am also glad you were able to help out Fred on that darn ole brake problem.  Is this information that the rest of us can use in the future Jack??  If so would you mind sharing just in case it happens again so we can archive it and save for future problems similar.

Safe traveling now,

Gary

Gary
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 03:10:13 PM »

Gary,
   I was not able to figure out what was cauing the problem, but was able to bypass the shuttle valve to release the brakes. We could not find an accurate air schematic drawing of that bus.  But at least, we got the brakes released so the bus can be moved. I will try to post some photos of the components in question tomorrow (with a couple questions).  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 03:38:08 PM »

I would do at least 3 slides and start in my 20s so I would have had more time to enjoy the bus but it probably would have finshed about the same time .Now I am working on a device to pickup cans at 55 mph along the road to buy fuel so wish me luck
Dreamscape

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 03:14:42 AM »

Clifford, that was a good one. Picking up cans at 55 for fuel.

If I could do it all over I would have had more money and time to work on our Eagle. But that's OK, so we trudge along and will enjoy the coach no matter what. I just wish I had many more years to enjoy meeting all of the nice bus nuts here and everywhere.

No matter what you do something will always come up that you wish you would have done earlier, but some things you just don't know when you start. My research is a daily search. Good ideas always pop up after you finish yours, that's life.

Just do it, and Enjoy it!

Paul
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 04:10:22 AM »

I'd have a 102" coach - like a lot of things in life an extra 6 inches in the right place would make a huge difference.

Other than that we're pretty happy with what we've got.  There's always little things that could be improved.  I'd like to be able to shut the water heater off without having to go out and open a bay door - that would help manage power when we're on a 15 amp breaker, like right now.  I'd like to have about 2" more headroom - when you are doing a roof raise make sure you take all you can.  I wouldn't put in basement air - too complicated, too hard to service and the cold air comes out at the wrong place.  And one other thing - I have the utmost admiration for those of you with the patience to build a bus yourself but I am SO HAPPY that we decided to buy one that was already converted.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 06:52:28 AM »

I kinda agree here.  I wasn't counting on the cost of fuel more than doubling when I started on the bus in '05.  I've slowed way down in working on it lately, as I've neglected other things to concentrate my time on the conversion.  I'm now going to catch up on those things (house maintenance & improvements, etc.)  I still like my bus a lot, and I've learned a lot of good skills from what I've done so far and met a lot of great people.  Hopefully, one day, I can actually use the bus like I intended back when I started it!

David

With the information I now have, I would have to agree with Jjrbus...

I wouldn't buy a bus.   It has been fun,  Grin  and I've meet a lot of nice people,  Grin

However, it as cost me a lot of $$$$$$$, that I had not planned on.   Cry

Bill
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:21:07 PM by DavidInWilmNC » Logged
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 09:03:16 AM »

As far as my conversion, an '82 RTS, 350HP 6V92TA, V730 and 4.10 gears-- I am totally happy how it turned out.  I gained a lot of information on the bus boards and talking to bus nuts so I was able to come up with a good conversion plan-- I just have to get the trim work finished!

P.S.  My MUI 6V92TA with federal cams and 9G90 injectors gets 7-8 mpg with a reliable 350 HP.  I do have to use a radiator water spray system when pulling my 7k trailer, but my cradle hitch has handled up to 12,000 lbs.

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 09:23:33 AM »

I'd have started with richer parents footing the bill for my hobbies  Grin

Seriously tho, I wouldn't want to change anything . . . except maybe started sooner.
I've met the best friends anyone could possibly want due to this hobby.  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 09:45:03 AM »

Nice to see you back Geoff!

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: