Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 04:02:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tune up  (Read 2310 times)
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2008, 10:41:38 AM »

As some of you know I bought a converted bus in august of last year. Well I just did a tune up on it. I changed the injector, from 1.520 to 1.490 Set the valves at .016 and set the Jakes to .055. I also changed the turbo hot housing from a 1.39 to a 1.23 a/r I have now gone over to my mom's in Rosamond ( Bryce ) LOL twice. The bus will now climb most of the hills in 5th gear where before it would be in 4th and now some times it will be up in 6th gear It did not do that before the tune up. The engine runs about 5 deg. 's cooler and I picked up about 3 mph in the longer pulls. It also looks like I picked up about .2 mpg When I filled up after the trip a calculated 8.6 mpg before 8.3  8.4 was tops.

On Saturday evening going over I had a amtrack America vanhool pass me on the flats at Bruce's truck stop I had the cruse set at 65 mph, he was going around 75. I caught him at the top of the first hill then he Left me going down and in the valley. On the next hill I Passed him about the 5 mile Mark and he did not come back around me until out around monolith ( those of you that run by way of hwy 58 will know what I am talking about). The only time I did not  have the cruse set was on the down hill side when the Jake was on.

Don
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 06:48:15 PM »

Hey Don, what engine and bus do you have, if you don't mind me asking? Will

compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 07:11:19 PM »

Hey Don
Is this the bus that I looked at for you in kentucky last July? if so how is it working out? sounds like it is running good now which brings me to my question. my eagle has a 6v92 and is a reliabuilt unit. I have never had the covers off but on them is painted 7G70. since you are the wizard with these things should I leave these in it or change to something else. I am thinking of putting Jakes on it so it is not a big deal to do. also what is a good price for a jake setup for this motor?
thanks
steve
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 10:03:19 AM »

Will; It is an 8V92TA DDEC II 450HP with a HD4560 Allison. the bus weights 34,000lbs full fuel and 117 gal's water.

Steve yes it the same bus you looked at for me. It runs very smooth and has all the power I need. I have put 20,000 miles on it to date. I have had to fix the generator and put in a new inverter. I changed the house batteries and need to move the bus battery's to the back so I can install a few more house batteries.

A 7G70 injector is kinda small for a 6V92 but if you will give me the engine #'s from the pad on the side of the block I will have my local DD guy look it up so I can see how it was build, Then I can tell you some of the things you can do to increase the power. Jake brakes are a must have in my book. You can't install a telma on an eagle unfortunately. As far as price I have seen Jakes all over the place price wise but some where around $900.00 seams to be the price asked most. Make sure you get the valve bridges with them when you buy. I am always looking for Jake's valve bridges and tall valve covers, But I am not willing to pay much for them as I rebuild them and try to put a complete kit together so all you have to do is install them

Don

compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 09:06:02 AM »

Hey Don
did you get the info I sent you in the PM? hopefully those are the numbers you needed and it makes sense.
thanks
steve
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 11:56:59 PM »

Hi Don,

Remember us?  We are the ones that got stuck in Colinga over Christmas 2006 with the broke transmission governor.  You were a life saver.  The next time we are down your way, we will have to stop by and have you do your tune up thing for us.

Don and Cary
GMC4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
rcbishop

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 10:30:15 AM »

Interesting topic....don't hear too much about tune up detailss....at least I can't remember a thread like this in the past 7 years that I have been lurking the boards. Thanx for the information.

Wonder what it would cost  ( roughly) to have one done?  Mine is a '64 Crown Supercoach ( Highway Coach)..220  Cummins with Turbo, Jakes, etc..  No complaints but it might be worth the $$$. Grin

Thanx

RCB
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 06:08:10 PM »

Don, you brought back many memories talking about running up Tahatchpi (Spelling!)
I remember coming out of Salinas with garbage, (Produce is called garbage for non trucking type folks) and leaving Bruces going up with a Cummins VT903.  (Otherwise known as a VT90NOTHIN'!  A snail would pass you going up the hill!
We used to top out and race (And win) the trains into Mojave!  Drove for the old Thomas Produce, Greensboro, NC, the Ford two story falcon cabovers.  (Wasn't as fast as the Carolina Western trucks, they beat us home by 6 hours!  (We had two drivers, they had one, go figure!)
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: