Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 12:08:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing slide outs  (Read 5123 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:00:27 AM »

Anyone know who can install slide outs here in southern California?  Thanks, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 10:16:03 AM »

TomC, I checked all over CA,AZ and Nev for some one to install my slides the only ones I could find one southern CA and I believe it was HB Industries and B&B in Vegas.If I were you and had a connection for a good fab and welder person I would just buy the slide unit and do it myself.Most of the shops want 3 to 4 thousand bucks a foot for the electric slides.Featherlite installed my HWH hyd slides for about the same price. Good luck on this one it's not going to be cheap    forgot about Premier Coach at Stana Ana
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:27:54 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 10:53:58 AM »

The last quote I got for slide outs in a Eagle was $1000.00 per foot for Hyd.
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 11:09:23 AM »

Eagle, that a good price I paid a lot more than that HWH has very few approved installers for their slides can you email the place you got the price from
luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:24:13 AM »

hey Eagle could you give me the name and phone number of the business I am thing about installing 2 on my Eagle and B&B wants about 3 times that amount for electric slides with no painting , no interior finish and  no new doors
Dallas

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 11:35:08 AM »

I will do a slide for you for $14/inch, total slideout extension.
You take total responsibility for any failures after 6 months. and I will want a contract stating that.
I will come to you, you pay fuel and lodging.
Or you could go to the local Marathon dealer and have them quote for you.

I don't work fast. If you don't like my top speed, you really won't like my other gear. But, we only charge for actual hours, not like some shops that charge for the tech to have a cigarette break every 20 minutes.

Dallas
luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 11:52:13 AM »

Dallas, 14 dollars a inch is that you buying the parts or me
Dallas

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 12:01:26 PM »

Dallas, 14 dollars a inch is that you buying the parts or me

You pay the bill, I buy the parts.

But you better add up that per inch price.
luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 12:09:57 PM »

Dallas, not a bad labor price if I totaled it right little over 5 grand for a 2 ft x 16 ft slide
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 12:54:18 PM »

Interesting to see how many people are now planning, or at least considering, a slideout in their bus - it used to be the case that any mention of slideouts here would result in an avalanche of 'Don't do it - your bus will break in half' type responses.

I realised last weekend that it was almost exactly two years since my bus was delivered; I used it as it was for six months before the tax ran out and I took it off the road to start converting it, and then missed most of last summer as I was busy doing other things - so at a guess I would estimate that I have probably spent 12 months actually working on it so far, made up of the usual evenings and weekends. In that time I have so far performed a roof raise and installed the first slide out - probably 70% of the time has been spent on the slideout. I've done all the work and manufactured all the components myself as there is no other way of doing it here - slideouts are unheard of in the UK, other than in showmans' living wagons (in fact they have some of the cleverest room extension systems I have ever seen, but it's really a different type of application to an RV).

So, slideouts are certainly a big and potentially expensive project; it is also one with many many variables (for instance, does your slide mechanism go in the roof, in the walls, in the floor, or beneath the floor?). If I were considering sub-contracting the installation of a slideout in my bus I would have a very long list of questions for the installer, and would probably want to see some examples of a similar system already fitted to the same type of bus. I actually wouldn't get too excited about whether it was electric or hydraulic though, as that isn't really fundamental to the operation of the mechanism - I would be more interested in the engineering of the actual sliding mechanism itself, how the weight is transfered to the bus, alignment issues, sealing issues, insulation issues and stuff like that. Having designed my own system (actually two systems) from scratch I've had to think about all these things from first principles, and trust me, it ain't straightforward!

I'm hoping to have some 'finished' photos of my first slideout to show in the next week or so, after which I will be immediately starting on slideouts 2,3 and 4 - but those should be considerably easier and will be all built simultaneously to the same design.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 12:59:52 PM »

Jeremy, Eagle folks have never had a problem with thinking their bus was going to break into blame that one on the MCI guys
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 01:46:28 PM »

So, slideouts are certainly a big and potentially expensive project; it is also one with many many variables (for instance, does your slide mechanism go in the roof, in the walls, in the floor, or beneath the floor?). If I were considering sub-contracting the installation of a slideout in my bus I would have a very long list of questions for the installer, and would probably want to see some examples of a similar system already fitted to the same type of bus. I actually wouldn't get too excited about whether it was electric or hydraulic though, as that isn't really fundamental to the operation of the mechanism - I would be more interested in the engineering of the actual sliding mechanism itself, how the weight is transfered to the bus, alignment issues, sealing issues, insulation issues and stuff like that.

Jeremy, your thoughts and mine on the slides is the main reason I chose HWH level floor slides
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 02:35:44 PM »

Jeremy, your thoughts and mine on the slides is the main reason I chose HWH level floor slides

Cool. I've spent many hours on the HWH site myself studying their various videos in order to understand the engineering. One of these days I will put together a website about my conversion so other people can see all the gory details of how I did it

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Dallas

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 03:59:56 PM »

Dallas, not a bad labor price if I totaled it right little over 5 grand for a 2 ft x 16 ft slide

Grin Grin Grin
Sojourner

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 06:22:52 PM »

TomC...this one has been doing slide out since 1981 and located in Central California off Hwy 99 at Fresno.
Ron Morrison has his crew is specializes doing this and remodeling work as well.
http://www.morrisonsvipcoach.com/photos.html

HWH will not sell there slide-out assembly but only to factory authorize installer. Ron Morrison is one of their installer.

Ron will engineer a framing structure to accommodate slide-out in your bus.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 08:24:46 PM »

Jerry, I think the guys blowing smoke about installing slides since 1981 all the papers I got from HWH when I had my slides installed said they installed the first slides in 1989 on a Newmar motor home   fwiw
Sojourner

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 11:11:33 PM »

Ron was using other brands before HWH. Your right Newmar was first production manufacture to introduce slide-out.
Ron is a doer & innovator. I have talked to him on phone but not person.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

PS...I have been studying all type of mechanism for slide-out devises since 1997.

The bottom line is to go to RV rally and ask all you can from slide-out customers before you decide. Many of them have problem after few cycles.
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 09:15:52 AM »

Here is the contact information for a fellow that put two slides in a friends Eagle and one in another's Blue Bird.

Tony Fisher
67 J J Road
Copeland, Kansas 67837
620-668-5626
Email-ksswaf@ucom.net

Good Luck.

JCB
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 09:20:34 AM »

Jerry, I had a long visit with Ron before I installed my slides he's a nice guy but the time table was to long for me.HWH is a great co and like you stated they will not sell to just any John Doe.Ron was on the list that HWH sent me and it is a very short list like 5 co's in the US.Tom would be money ahead by buy or building him a unit like some of the other guys are doing on the board.I went with HWH because I believed it was the best for me having HWH leveling jacks already in place.The units are not cheap I paid 10,800 for living room and 8700.00 for the bedroom and you can buy other units from 3000.00 up every one does it different
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 09:24:15 AM »

Eagle, Tony converted a friend of mine Eagle and he will not do slides for a 1000.00 per ft I know for a fact
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 11:57:28 AM »

He did my friends Eagle for that or that is what my friend told me.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: