Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 12:26:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing Carpet  (Read 3780 times)
Chris 85 RTS

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2006, 11:16:58 AM »

I am planning on installing carpet in my bus.  I plan on using as heavy a pad as I can get for insullation and sound deadening.  My question is, should I just use standard installation techniques, tack strips, whatever?

1985 GMC RTS II 40x96 6V92TA MUI V731 IFS
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 12:32:55 PM »

Hello Chris 85 RTS,

Standard tac strip method works just fine.

Belive me , you don't want to glu any carpet down on the floor.

Reason- You will be replacing the carpets more often than most other things!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Merlin

Run away before the kids come back home.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 04:55:30 PM »

Chris,
After we purchased our used Prevost conversion (done by Marathon) the first thing we did was pull up the carpet.  Shocked to see a ton of white sand between the carpet and padding.  I mean it was significant.  Apparently the bus was used in a sandy area.  If sand can seep downward, so can dirt and "stuff".  Not trying to discourage you from "going carpet" but be aware that it will wear and soil fast because all traffic is in one path.

The carpet pad that Marathon used was a dense black foam with a center of a lead/rubber.  I suppose I've ruined the sound proofing by removing it.  Went with a nice (very tough) PVC flooring called Karandean.  Easy to lay down and looks for all the world like real wood.  Even feels like wood. The stuff is totally water proof, unlike the vaunted Pergo type plank flooring.

Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 04:58:47 PM »

So what was the problem of having white sand seep thru the carpet? I do not think it would hurt anything.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 05:02:59 PM »

Carpet is a mistake.  I used *waterproof* laminate flooring from the rear of the bus to the front and down the front steps.  Then I put throw rugs in the appropiate places.  Very easy to shake out the rugs or vacuum.  And when the rugs get stained they are cheap and easy to replace.

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 07:04:20 PM »

Just a matter of life-style.  A family of kids will wear carpet much more than two old folks   Cheesy  I am going with carpet...

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: