Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 01:07:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! How do I refill coolant?  (Read 1705 times)
belfert

« on: June 05, 2006, 04:42:31 PM »

I ended up draining all of the coolant out of my Series 60 after I lost 5 gallons removing the baseboard heat inside the coach.  I have replacement coolant and distilled water.

My concern is getting the coolant back in.  I'm certain I won't be able to just dump in 20 gallons of coolant at once, but I don't really want to start the engine without enough coolant either.  How do I make sure all the trapped air gets out of the system?  I suppose I should check my maintainance manual.

Brian Elfert
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 04:48:17 PM »

There should be a few petcocks at the "high spots" such ar the driver's heat/defroster to allow the air to bleed out. Best bet is check you manual for the location of these. Another thing that can help is fill the system, walk away, check it later, add coolant, walk away, check it, add coolant, etc, until you can add no more. Then start engine and check level as engine warms up. YMMV. Hope this helps, Jack
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 04:50:01 PM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
belfert

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 05:38:29 PM »

There don't appear to be appear to be any petcocks in the heating loop.  The manual says to remove a hose from the defrost core when draining coolant.  That certainly won't help for replacing the coolant.  There don't appear to be any instructions in the manual for replacing the coolant.

It doesn't look like I will get the coolant done tonight as it is starting to pour rain outside.

Brian Elfert
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 05:45:36 PM »

I had to loosen a hose on the defroster with the engine running until coolant came out the hose or the defroster unit. Whichever was on the pressure side. Once you fill the radiator , you can run the engine a few minutes to start circulating fluid. Then shut down and refill the radiator. Keep up this cycle until you can add no more fluid. Then start on the defroster part of the operation. Do not run the engine more that 2-3 minutes at a time  at first until you are sure you are getting water up thru the heads.
Richard

There don't appear to be appear to be any petcocks in the heating loop.  The manual says to remove a hose from the defrost core when draining coolant.  That certainly won't help for replacing the coolant.  There don't appear to be any instructions in the manual for replacing the coolant.

It doesn't look like I will get the coolant done tonight as it is starting to pour rain outside.

Brian Elfert

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
belfert

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 07:24:07 PM »

I had to loosen a hose on the defroster with the engine running until coolant came out the hose or the defroster unit. Whichever was on the pressure side. Once you fill the radiator , you can run the engine a few minutes to start circulating fluid. Then shut down and refill the radiator. Keep up this cycle until you can add no more fluid. Then start on the defroster part of the operation. Do not run the engine more that 2-3 minutes at a time  at first until you are sure you are getting water up thru the heads.

I think I am going to have to get my mechanic friend over again.  I can't get the hose off the defroster and I know he knows all the tricks.  He can also help with draining the engine.

Brian Elfert
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 06:01:57 AM »

Fill the cooling system, start engine, add some more coolant,now run the engine until the thermostats open.
You will have to drive the bus to get the coolant temp hot enough to open the thermostats.
Check the thermostat housing - some have a small petcock on them to bleed air from system.
Don't go very far, it won't be necessary - stay local.
Just need to put a normal load (regular driving) on the engine to let it heat up.Watch the temp guage, at about 180 the t-stats will open(depends on what t-stats you have).
Take some coolant with you on your road test - about 5 gals.
The coolant level in the surge tank will drop when the t-stats open,
DDEC might shut down the engine because it detects a "low coolant level" - depends on how your engine protection parameter is set.
Be careful when you open the surge tank to fill the coolant at this time 
Coolant is now hot and there will be pressure to be released before you open the surge tank cap.
Fill your coolant to the proper final level, run bus again, final check coolant level.
Hope this helps.Good luck with your repair.
Sammy  Cool
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 07:06:47 AM »

As always Sammy is 100% on the mark with the way I'd go about it! BK

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: