Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 28, 2014, 04:24:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: StatPower inverter question...  (Read 2284 times)
travelingfools

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2008, 11:27:11 AM »

I bought a Statpower ProWatt 2500 inverter off of e-bay. When I got it and hooked it up to a battery, it sparked as if there was a load on it, although the switch was off. Also the fan dosen't run. Ive only had it on for a min and it did put out a/c. My question is should the fan run whenever I turn it on or is it on a thermostat. I was curious if the anyone does a referb. on units like this. I only payed $30.00 for it, so I'd be interested in spending a bit to get this "refurbed".

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 11:42:47 AM by travelingfools » Logged

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 11:47:36 AM »

Not to worry!  The spark is normal as the filter capacitors charge up. If you connect it and it sparks, the disconnect and reconnect it wont spark.  The fan is most likely temperature controlled and won't come on until needed.
Generally something like that either works or it doesn't, I don't see any reason to "referb".

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Dallas

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 12:09:59 PM »

I bought a Statpower ProWatt 2500 inverter off of e-bay. When I got it and hooked it up to a battery, it sparked as if there was a load on it, although the switch was off. Also the fan dosen't run. Ive only had it on for a min and it did put out a/c. My question is should the fan run whenever I turn it on or is it on a thermostat. I was curious if the anyone does a referb. on units like this. I only payed $30.00 for it, so I'd be interested in spending a bit to get this "refurbed".

It sparked because there was a load on it... it was charging all of those little bitty capacitors in it's tummy-tum.
It doesn't matter is the switch is on or off... in order to have power when you flip the switch, it has to be ready. It therefore takes power from the 12V source and holds it in standby mode. If it sits for long enough without power, the charge bleeds off, and then when you reconnect it sparks all over again.

Just make sure you don't have the inverter and the batteries in the same enclosed box when you hook them together... Otherwise, KaaPoowww.

The fan will only run when the inverter is actually inverting.. There is a lot of loss in the cheap inverters, mostly through heat.. the fan is there to keep that from happening, but like with most modern electronic products, they have it on a thermostat to only draw when the transistors heat up beyond a certain point.

There is absolutely no reason in the world to have the critter rebuilt if it's doing it's job. Turn it on, check the output with your handy dandy VTVM (or VOM), then plug something worthwhile into it like a space heater or a microwave. The fan should come on after just a few minutes. The meter should still read close to the values set out in the owners manual as supplied by Stat Power.
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 12:24:26 PM »

Thanks all...another lesson in this learning process we love to call bus conversions !

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 01:29:17 PM »

Most VOMs will not give an accurate voltage reading on a modified sine wave inverter. I can't remeber what type meter is required but most of the Fluke meters will give an accurate reading.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 02:55:44 PM »

You need a true RMS meter.  Most others will read high.  Again, not to worry.  If a light bulb appears to be the right brightness, it's probably OK.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Dallas

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 03:08:31 PM »

Most VOMs will not give an accurate voltage reading on a modified sine wave inverter. I can't remeber what type meter is required but most of the Fluke meters will give an accurate reading.  Jack

That's why you put a resistance load on it, like a heater. Not the best method.. a true RMS meter is better, but buying a good Fluke 87 will set you back as much as a smaller name brand inverter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: