Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 07:28:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Painting a coach  (Read 6128 times)
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 05:08:27 AM »

You could always get about 100 cans of Krylon and a few cases of Landshark beer and have a painting party with a bunch of friends! Grin
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 08:54:30 AM »

You could take it to Los Algodones Mexico, right below Yuma, and get it done for around 4K. Which includes body work, sanding prep, yes sanding all those rivit heads and 3 color graphics. I seen a couple of buses that have been painted there and they did a good job.
Ron
hiwaycallin

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 01:59:15 PM »

You could take it to Los Algodones Mexico, right below Yuma, and get it done for around 4K. Which includes body work, sanding prep, yes sanding all those rivit heads and 3 color graphics. I seen a couple of buses that have been painted there and they did a good job.
Ron
I know people who get their dental work done down there for cheap and are very happy with the results ... why not buses too?  Cheesy
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 03:12:47 PM »

Make a dentist appointment and a bus appointment

When you get out of the dentist you will have clean shiny teeth

When you get your bus you will have a shiny new paint job

I love it when a plan comes together

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 08:23:57 PM »

LOL .... you guys need to get out more....
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 08:25:43 AM »

I saw George Lowry's bus which was painted in Algodones - it was gorgeous.  He doesn't own the bus anymore but I just saw a post from him somewhere saying that it still looks good and its at least 5 years now since I saw it.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 02:37:41 PM »

Try not to laugh, (well, go ahead it you want) but I/we are actually thinking about employing a high quality finish PAINT BRUSH for the contrast/high lighting wide accent stripes along the sides and front and back of my Crown Super Coach.  Total brush costs less than $50 bucks or sooss.

We are/were going to leave the orange/yellow school bus color alone with the white top and employeee light yellow, red and green contrasts on the side, along with the absolutely necessary green and red FLAME JOB coming out of the two engine hatches on the bottom of the sides.  Pancake mill admidships.

Seems like a good plan to us.  Just now have to wait for warmer/hot weather and $save$ up for the also necessary cheap red wine and beer budget soosss we can apply the proper mood before we apply the proper paint.  Speaking of which, since I quite drinking wine, can I have some more beer now?  Smiley Smiley Smiley
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 03:15:45 PM »

the brush method is not that far out there. most big yachts are painted with roller and brush method due to restrictions in boat yards. all that is required is the proper prep and the correct materials and reducers. we paint many of the boat bilges with a brush and done right it flows out nice and slick.
steve
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 06:27:24 PM »

my god , don;t paint it with a brush.

It won;t look good and will not last long looking as good as you can get it.

I would not agree with Steve about most big yachts being brush or rollered.

Above the waterline anyway.

Most fiberglass boats are Gelcoated.....and a paint job is onlu done after years of No maint......and typically done right before sale to make it look as good as possible.

Most large metal yachts are painted in Big @$# paint booths and in synch with the cost of a big boat the paint jobs cost big money too.

Wooden boats are a different story......not that there are many new wood boats but the ones you will see are likely to have been brushed or rolled.

I for one would have never let someone paint my 30 foot boat with a brush/roller.  a yard neighbor did his 34 foot and it looked good from 20-30 foot  and when in the water it was hard to tell......but there your talking a painted surface that is 5-6 feet below eye level and not in direct sight.

I'd never tell anyone to do a ground vehicle that way......unless of course that is all  you can afford
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 06:47:19 PM »

I've brushed rolled and sprayed cars.  spray is faster and better, and nowadays with compressors as cheap as they are, pretty affordable.  You could even use your bus as either a compressor (not sure what and idling engine will do to the wet paint, might help flatten it) or as a big slave tank for your compressor allowing you longer runs with a smaller compressor. Rolled works if you have a good feel for the paint and roller and control the thickness.  That being said, with a big ol bus it will be easy to mask off windows etc and the spraying, with a light touch will look pretty good.  Almost any paint job looks good from 10 feet away, and they all look good at night in the rain.

jdr

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 01:48:22 AM »

Saw about a 38 foot wooden boat hull above the water line that was painted with a 2" roller and it looked like it was sprayed! This guy new what he was doing and didn't have gravity to help him. Thought about doing the roof this way and if someone wants to climb up and see if it was sprayed I'll kick the ladder out, lol.    Jim
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 04:22:14 AM »

You can get just as shiny of a paint job with brush and roller as with a spray gun.  I live in So. Cal and have seen numerous paint jobs at boat yards where you could easily comb your hair in the reflection.  The key is you have to have two people working side by side-one applying the paint by roller with the second immediately behind with a wet brush smoothing out the nappy roller marks, and with the proper amount catalyst according to the humidity and temperature of that day your painting.  It takes practice, so before you start, try it on a junk car or similar until you get the right results.  Painting anything is the easy part, the hard and lengthy part is the prep work.  Automotive paint is not like house paint-everything underneath the paint will show through on automotive paint, compared to house hold paint that can be dabbed on thickly to cover mistakes.  No matter which way you paint it, whether it be by brush/roller or spraying, both paints have to be able to flow out to obtain a smooth finish.  If you make a mistake on putting too much catalyst in the paint, it won't flow and will dry too quickly leaving an orange peal finish (with spraying) or brush marks, and will appear to be just semi glossy.  With all the prep work, knowledge about paints needed, possible mistakes that can be made with mixing the paint, this is why I choose to pay $11,000 for my paint job.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
eaglelover15

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 08:24:07 AM »

thanks for the tips guys but I am not going the spray can or the brush and roller route I priced the materails for painting and they are not cheap and the products are not for rookies like me

I have been in contact with Willy's and he is doing some mock up paint jobs on paper to use some of the existing paint with graphics to save me some dough being the bus has a lot of white now.If you guys know of any problems with him let me know I have saw pictures of 5 Eagles and 1 Newell he painted and they are beautiful paint jobs.I know he has a problem with getting the job out on time but I can live with that but not other problems  PS I don't have a boat    thanks
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 09:10:03 AM by eaglelover15 » Logged
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 09:07:28 PM »

Check out this Silver Eagle on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/40-FT-SILVER-EAGLE-DIESEL-PUSH-NICE-SHAPE-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ250233197017QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250233197017

The seller says it has a rolled paint job. Can you tell?

Oh, and the spray can detailing must have taken all day. Tongue
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 09:09:50 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2008, 09:08:10 PM »

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: