Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 02:35:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Painting a coach  (Read 6360 times)
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2008, 07:13:49 AM »

urrp ...... That thing just cured me of the parquet flooring idea.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 07:20:56 AM by chazwood » Logged

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2008, 09:25:01 AM »

No reason not to use parquet just because of that bus.  Parquet does not have to be that dark.  That color looks like the 70s.  The picture of the living room looks like a really bad install job too.

That said, there are plenty of other real and fake wood alternatives that are easy to install and look good.  I haven't seen any new installs of parquet in a long time.  I'm guessing that parquet is out of style right now.  I don't know that I would install real wood in a motorhome, but that is just me.  I have enough problems with the wood floors in my house with seasonal changes and a bus would probably be worse.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Gary W

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2008, 01:47:35 PM »

I took mine to Los Algodones Mexico last year and had it painted. They stripped to the bare metal took 6 days. They do great work $5300 and they installed new stainless on the front. The coach was there 16 days, they were working on 3 others at the same time.

Gary
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2008, 02:19:24 PM »

No reason not to use parquet just because of that bus.  Parquet does not have to be that dark.  That color looks like the 70s.  The picture of the living room looks like a really bad install job too.

That said, there are plenty of other real and fake wood alternatives that are easy to install and look good.  I haven't seen any new installs of parquet in a long time.  I'm guessing that parquet is out of style right now.  I don't know that I would install real wood in a motorhome, but that is just me.  I have enough problems with the wood floors in my house with seasonal changes and a bus would probably be worse.

That floor just looks like it's been deep in french fry oil.

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
rcbishop

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2008, 08:20:06 PM »

...'scuse me, but it sounds like some of youse guys are a bit over the top......my guess is that the Parquet is sound as a dollar (not in today's exchange Cheesy) and, anyway...what would one want for $12,500 (reserve)?  Had I the $$$  I would buy it in a heartbeat, and donate it to a missionary or needy person or organization and take the writeoff.   

Good grief...go out and price a motor home of any vintage that offers as much as this one SEEMS to offer and tell us it is a " better or even close, deal".  Can't come close, I would guess.  The price, even if one needed a major overhaul or transmision, when added together wouldn't touch a stick and staples....forget the rubber, generator, cabinets, etc, etc. 

Flooring is cheap...and hardwood is a great sound barrier, over which one could put any number of things....cork, carpet, tile, etc.  My coach is a '64 and has given miles of pleasure, without the expense I have had on manufactured motor homes.  Comfortable, practical, and done as we wanted it.  Underneath, the chassis is reliable, strong and has served very well for the original owner, Northern Arizona University, and for us for 7 years.

Parquet flooring turning one off...can't fathom that! Just my HO.... Smiley.

Pleeze...pardon my practicality... Grin Grin

RCB
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2008, 09:10:45 PM »

Gary,
How is the drive across the border and in and out of his shop?

What kind of paint did you use?  Imron or base / clear?

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Gary W

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2008, 09:11:36 AM »

Hi Jim

Getting across the border was easy, driving down the narrow main street with all the vendors was tricky. Manuel built a shop about 8 miles out of town on 10 acres with a 60 ft paint booth. There were 3 other buses there when we were there . We stayed on site for 16 days in the bus and visited with our new bus friends. One of the other bus owners from Seattle was sent there by his friend who had a flexible painted there 8 years ago. He highly recommend this shop. He happend to drop by with his bus while we were there. The paint still looked great.
 We chose to use base coat and clear coat. He will use Imron if you want.

Gary
eaglelover15

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2008, 10:56:21 AM »

GaryW   what do you do if you are not satisfied with the paint job I have heard that you can not do much about over there true or not
Gary W

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2008, 06:51:18 PM »

That's why I stayed there to make sure it was done right. I've seen some guys there have them redo some work. I had a couple spots that I asked them to do over no problem.  Manuel wasn't happy with the panels below the front window, so he had his men remove the panels and they re painted  them.

Gary
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2008, 07:08:06 PM »

I spoke with Manuel today. I'm not ready yet because I need to do some work on my front cap. Manuel said the  paint has gone up, bring $8500 and the coach 10 days from now, and I could have 4 color Emron and be gone in 3 weeks.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2008, 08:29:52 PM »

If the existing paint is in good condition and you don't mind the pattern a new clear coat could solve your problem.  A tinted clear coat can really change the color completely.  Many of the really fancy paint jobs have a bright gaudy base color and a tinted clear coat that makes them fantastic.  Candy Apple Red being one that comes to mind.  Any of the "well deep" colors are done that way. If you are starting with red and blue, you could end up with burgundy and plum with the right top coat. Add a few accents of gold and you are on the road. Oh, and top coats don't have to be high gloss,  the can be made from mat finish all the way up to high gloss.

Don and Cary
GMC4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Dreamscape

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2008, 08:32:52 PM »

And if they are solid colors, add some pearl, blue or red and have a very differant affect on color.

Blue pearl over black comes out a very deep blue.

FWIW

Paul
eaglelover15

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2008, 07:29:46 AM »

Paul and Cary you ideas and Willy,s are on the same line I am taking the coach to him next week he is going to take some of the colors and go from light to dark and use tinted clear coats I will try and post the final paint  you guys on this board have been a great help in this process thanks
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2008, 04:27:36 PM »

NJT, do you have to choose your colors before you get there, or can you choose and he gets the paint while the prep is being done?  Do you think base clear is any less than Imron?, or fewer colors?  Maybe I should just call  him.....   but $8,500 seems good enough to just get it done.

I too have some prep that needs to be done.  Some lower rub panels on each of the 4 corners that need replacing.  Some minor fiberglass work too.

Does anyone have feed back on Manual's designs?  I have some ideas, but probably need help there too.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Gary W

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2008, 04:56:25 PM »

Jim

My wife did the design for ours on the computer, then we showed them to Manuel. We were in the paint booth marking out the graphics and they still messed them up. That's why we stayed there to make sure it was done they way we wanted. They will correct their mistakes.

Gary
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: