Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 02:25:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 4974 times)
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 12:50:42 PM »

This bus is all there and runs real good.

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Dreamscape

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »

I think Coach Maintenance has some of these. I saw some that looked close to that one.

Paul
skipn

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 12:58:41 PM »

My .02   If you look at the 4th passenger window back

only the 3703 and 2903,2904 have the half window.

Ruled out the 29xx because of the ribbed alum. under the windows.

so I'll say 3703

Skip
Dallas

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 03:28:52 PM »

I'm going to go with a 3704... the 3703 came with pony powered A/C about half way back.
If you could get a look at he boat tail rear end, look to see if there are bubbles for the tail lights with 3 lights on each side, that look original. If they are long up and down, it's a 3703, if they are built like the front turn signals, wider than they are high, it's a 3704

All coaches from the 27 to the 41 series could be ordered with aluminum siding or not. I don't know about the newer coaches... that's Doug's job. I just work on them as I find them.

It's not a 27-29-31-32 or 33 series because if you count the windows, and there is a pair of seats at each window, with 3 in the rear.. you get a total count of 37 with 9 windows, whether large or small. the middle windowns, (small) weren't real popular with customers because they only opened a small amount compared to the larger 35" windows on either end.

By the way... thanks Paul for having such faith in my deductive reasoning... but... I make a lot of mistakes, and this could possibly be one.

The Rosa Parks bus was a 1948 GMC TDH3610 and I owned the sister bus to it. My coaches serial number was 0730, delivered to Dayton Ohio, I forget if the Rosa Parks bus was in the just previous order or the one just after.
Ford Motor Museum in Flint Michigan wanted to buy the engine out of my bus but decided not to when they found it had been switched to a high block design from a TDH3612. Good thing too, I was not about to sell my broken backed old TDH for scrap after they yanked the engine out of it.

Hmmm, here's an update... the 3703 had a piece of moulding over the emergency door.. the 3704 doesn't. the picture posted is hard to see with my old eyes, but it looks like there is no such moulding.

If anyone is really interested, I'll get out the parts book and look up the part number for the moulding, and for the aluminum too... they were different length of sections between the 3703 and 04.

Now that I've confused you some more... have fun!

Dallas
skipn

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 04:23:10 PM »

This has been fun and educational I thought I would never look so close at old GMC's Smiley

So Dallas didn't the 3704 have a more vertical windshield?

Sorry I couldn't let you off the hook that easy

Skip
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 04:56:52 PM »

I swear GM has more bus models than car models!  How do you guys remember all the tiny details that differentiate between 50 to 60 year old vehicles?

At least Dina only made one model for the US market so I only have to tell people I have a Dina and they know what it is.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
skipn

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 05:06:09 PM »

Hate to burst your bubble but I have no memory everything I know is in the computer.
 I gave up trying to remember things years ago that way when dementia hits no one will know Smiley
 I do tons of research as part of my job so occasionally it is fun to research a bus thing.
 For the record I processed 1k files today looking for discrepancies and errors and of
 coarse I found a bunch.   It's a living Smiley

Dallas and some of the other true guru's probably have true memories.

Skip
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 05:15:23 PM »

3703 I belive.

the 3704 had a very similar front clip to the 4102 and 4103 while the 4101 had a front clip similar to the 37 series.

Dallas,  is correct that up to the 3751/4151 and the 4104 on the alum sidding was an option, one that was not available during the war due to wartime rationing

as for the A/C Dallas Mentioned:  A/C was an option on GM coaches up through the 4104.  The 4106 was the first GM coach with a standard A?C
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 06:18:50 PM »

Doug, I am pretty sure the 4501 was the first with standard A/C.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 06:21:40 PM »

OK, 4106 First GM bus with standard A/C that did not violate US Antitrust laws and was available on the open market.

LOL

and while we are being sarcastic........on the rust issue, as others have pointed out....Eagles Rot from the inside out often with no exterior visible corrosion at all
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 06:24:40 PM »

If you could get a look at he boat tail rear end, look to see if there are bubbles for the tail lights with 3 lights on each side, that look original. If they are long up and down, it's a 3703, if they are built like the front turn signals, wider than they are high, it's a 3704

Dallas

Does this help?

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
skipn

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 06:46:14 PM »

So Ed,   (in a most respectful tone)

Since you have been able to string pictures along as we needed them
IS this your new project that you can confess to?

Skip
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 06:54:49 PM »

Its a 3703 4-71 straight in offset to curb side, they had two trims this one should have the 2 piece bumper and no trim on the side the other has the badge across the front instead of the 4 aluim strips and red GM badge. and the 3704 does have a different front end  like teke said

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 07:01:05 PM »

also the air duct cowls are missing up front on the roof, you can see where they were. i dont know how to post a pic on this forum or i would post a couple

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 02:25:23 PM »

How do you guys remember all the tiny details that differentiate between 50 to 60 year old vehicles?

Hey Brian,

They remember them so well because they were around when these buses were in regular service Grin

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: