Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 08:33:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 4926 times)
Dallas

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 02:28:11 PM »

How do you guys remember all the tiny details that differentiate between 50 to 60 year old vehicles?

Hey Brian,

They remember them so well because they were around when these buses were in regular service Grin

HEY! I resemble that Fact!

Edit:
But then, some people remember the thousands of moves in Chess, or Go or Mah Jong. we just choose to remember stuff about GM coaches in particular and many old time coaches in general.

If you'll bring me a crayon from the Nurses station, I'll be glad to write down what it was you asked me a minute ago.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 02:33:03 PM by Dallas » Logged
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 02:44:57 PM »

Dallas we would be glad to bring you the crayons from the nurses station but someone ate them all and just left the paper wrappers in the box

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
cody

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 03:47:44 PM »

I'm innocent, I only ate the red one, tasted like chicken lol.
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 04:25:25 PM »

Back then, every bus looked different.  I was originally going to say 2903, but the coach pictured had too many windows - thus couldn't be a 29xx series.  I knew someone who lived in a 2903 at the bus company I worked for around 1969-1970.  I used to be able to look at a bus and tell the model number - but with today's transits, I can't even tell who the manufacturer is.  So many cars today look like suppositories (got to carry on with the nurses' station theme) - even the cops can't tell the dispatcher what they're pulling over.

I remember meeting Jack Short, GM Coach's stylist - when I bought a fleet of RTS's in the early 1980's.  That really says something, they had a "stylist" - and didn't Raymond Loewy design the Scenicruiser (and the GG1 locomotive, and ....)?

However, this week I'm doing field work for a new contractor in Riverside County CA, saw some fishbowls and a 4903/5 in Perris, a Scenicruiser between Perris and Lake Elsinore, then a nice Eagle in a trailer park in Lake Elsinore.  Capped it off by window shopping (or fence-shopping) at the Transit Sales International lot just north of Temecula.  All buses old enough that I could actually tell you what they were.  However, looking out the hotel window I just saw a newer transit drive by - I wonder what it was.

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2008, 05:03:15 PM »

Probably like remembering the automobiles from the good ole days. No way could I ever forget what a 49 Mercury or 57 Chevrolet or any other of the beauties from that time look like.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2008, 05:21:13 PM »

I can recognize a lot of current automobiles by sight.  I think some of the older vehicles are ugly compared to modern day, but it has to do with what you grew up with.

If a cop can't read the model badge off the back of the vehicle to tell dispatch the model of car they should probably turn in their badge or get glasses.  It is a rare car that doesn't list the model name on the rear unless the owner removed the badges.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Charles Seaton

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2008, 12:56:01 PM »

If you want to see one of these in running condtion, rent "A Soldiers's Story".  The two humps on either side near the front are ventilators.
Charles Seaton

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2008, 10:23:02 AM »

Runcutter,

The GM fishbowls you saw in Perris belong to a firm called dreamliner leasing.  Guess, he's gotten rid of some but at one time he had at least one example of every GM New Look model made.
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2008, 06:37:27 PM »

Charles, that's kind of who I thought it was.  I'd seen them advertise fishbowls for sale, (and a power-steering front end that would fit my 4107, but it's pick-up only and I'm in Dallas).  There was a 4903/5, and three fishbowls sitting outside - two suburbans and a transit.  Although there were a couple of guys visibile, I was working one day I went by, and with my client the next time through.  There is a building, so there may have been more inside.

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2008, 11:20:50 AM »

So Ed,   (in a most respectful tone)

Since you have been able to string pictures along as we needed them
IS this your new project that you can confess to?

Skip

I got back to take another look today, here is pic's.
Skip, no it's not mine but is for sale locally.
Ed

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2008, 11:21:40 AM »

Shocked

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Dallas

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2008, 12:20:06 PM »

Well, By Golly, It IS a 3703!

I toldya to bring me my crayons from the nurses station, but now you'll have to bring that nice Zaftig Nurse with the happy juice!
GM0406

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2008, 06:34:59 PM »

Bus Pilots,  This is likely a GM coach built for government that saved GM's tail after the war during a period when bus orders declined.  This has been discussed at other websites.  Front like a transit and rear like a vaacuum cleaner!  Bill T.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2008, 11:57:28 AM »

I do not beleive there was any post war slump in bus orders for anyone.......likely totally opposite of that.

GM0406

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2008, 10:12:08 PM »

Sorry for my stupid comment.  This is obviously a 3703 and I rode on one of them many years ago in Ontario Canada.  There was a bus line in Canada that ran these in orange with black stripes.  As soon as I looked at all the pics., it was clear what this coach is.  But I have seen a coach with basically the same front and an old look rear.  I read where these were made by GM to fill a government order which helped to save GM when they were in a tight spot.  Perhaps someone here knows about the coaches I am talking about?  Bill T.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: